Thread: Youth's saw'd off shotgun found in his trunk on school grounds

Youth's saw'd off shotgun found in his trunk on school grounds

he is sitting in jail for having a 'weapon of mass destruction' on school grounds. (NC Statute 14-288.8 (c)(3).

nobody has stated how the 'school's private police' knew about the shotgun in the 18 yo's vehicle.

http://www.wral.com/pinecrest-studen...hool/13619754/

minimal info included on this link as conversations on the tv station have other information.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-05-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Play stupid games and win stupid prizes...and for what?

Someone ratted him out under the "hear something, say something" mantra to prevent terrorists from winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    Someone ratted him out under the "hear something, say something" mantra to prevent terrorists from winning.

I presume a warrant or consent was involved with the search? The story didn't say much...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Banned
    "Such actions will not be tolerated in Moore County Schools, and both disciplinary and legal action will be taken in any such instance," schools' spokesman Tim Lussier told The Pilot. "As always, the safety of our students is our foremost priority."
    Read more at http://www.wral.com/pinecrest-studen...BMscktXhExH.99

Well, we certainly know its not educating kids with that common core that you folks love.

I see nothing wrong with a sawed-off shotgun. Its just another firearm and it has its uses. Why they are outlawed? Just another example of the gov't violating our rights to choose whatever gun we feel is right for us.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    "Such actions will not be tolerated in Moore County Schools, and both disciplinary and legal action will be taken in any such instance," schools' spokesman Tim Lussier told The Pilot. "As always, the safety of our students is our foremost priority."
    Read more at http://www.wral.com/pinecrest-studen...BMscktXhExH.99

Well, we certainly know its not educating kids with that common core that you folks love.

I see nothing wrong with a sawed-off shotgun. Its just another firearm and it has its uses. Why they are outlawed? Just another example of the gov't violating our rights to choose whatever gun we feel is right for us.
    What folks love? We homeschool...
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    I presume a warrant or consent was involved with the search? The story didn't say much...
    no, this is one of the things parents, who enroll their children in school, is to sign away is their right to refuse a search of their child's personal property and person, without them even being there.

i am disappointed no other info has filtered out of this but i have sent an email to wral to see if there is any update(s).

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-14-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    no, this is one of the things parents, who enroll their children in school, is to sign away is their right to refuse a search of their child's personal property and person, without them even being there.

i am disappointed no other info has filtered out of this.

ipse
    Minors have limited rights and protections under the 4th Amendment (as well as most of the others) while they are in elementary/middle/high schools. Adults (those over 18) have the full protection of the Constitution. http://www.thefire.org/student-network/

And for those that have forgotten, thanks to the lack of train fare sawed offshotguns are illegal. Like it or not, until Congress gets around to passing a law that says otherwise, that's the way it is.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Minors have limited rights and protections under the 4th Amendment (as well as most of the others) while they are in elementary/middle/high schools. Adults (those over 18) have the full protection of the Constitution. http://www.thefire.org/student-network/

And for those that have forgotten, thanks to the lack of train fare sawed offshotguns are illegal. Like it or not, until Congress gets around to passing a law that says otherwise, that's the way it is.

stay safe.
    as mentioned, here they are considered weapons of mass destruction codified by statute 14-288.8 (c)(3).

and if i recall from conversations w/parents, but can not find a specific cite, youn's right(s). including >18 have been whittled away under the guise of 'protection of the children'.

this school district has it own police force and chief roaming around.

ipse

A sawed off shotgun is not illegal unless it falls under the length restrictions. Having it on school property is another issue. But I do not see it even near a weapon of mass destruction.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post

i am disappointed no other info has filtered out of this but i have sent an email to wral to see if there is any update(s).

ipse

Since the student in question is 18 (per the OP story link), the limit on the 4A does not really apply, hence my question.

When I was in school, less than a decade ago, everybody had a shotgun or two in the truck. It's amazing no one was killed.

Sent from my SCH-R680 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hhofent View Post
    When I was in school, less than a decade ago, everybody had a shotgun or two in the truck. It's amazing no one was killed.

Back in the early 80's in Round Rock,Texas, 1/2 the pickups in my high school parking lot had rifles and shotguns in the racks...nobody cared. Nothing bad happened either.
    Last edited by carolina guy; 05-14-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    A sawed off shotgun is not illegal unless it falls under the length restrictions. Having it on school property is another issue. But I do not see it even near a weapon of mass destruction.
    Why should there be any length restrictions .. I guess under 12" barrel would make it a handgun ...

But there are handguns that can shoot shotgun shells....

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Why should there be any length restrictions .. I guess under 12" barrel would make it a handgun ...

But there are handguns that can shoot shotgun shells....
    Very true. And a two good loads of buckshot with no choke out of a short barrel would suck at close range, but probably would nt kill you at medium range and would go over and under you at long range. Hardly a weapon of mass destruction. why not treat them like handguns? Especially if the stock is cut too?