• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Youth's saw'd off shotgun found in his trunk on school grounds

solus

Last edited:

Bernymac

Someone ratted him out under the "hear something, say something" mantra to prevent terrorists from winning.:eek:

davidmcbeth

Banned
"Such actions will not be tolerated in Moore County Schools, and both disciplinary and legal action will be taken in any such instance," schools' spokesman Tim Lussier told The Pilot. "As always, the safety of our students is our foremost priority."
Read more at http://www.wral.com/pinecrest-stude...g-gun-to-school/13619754/#lHL0lBMscktXhExH.99

Well, we certainly know its not educating kids with that common core that you folks love.

I see nothing wrong with a sawed-off shotgun. Its just another firearm and it has its uses. Why they are outlawed? Just another example of the gov't violating our rights to choose whatever gun we feel is right for us.

carolina guy

"Such actions will not be tolerated in Moore County Schools, and both disciplinary and legal action will be taken in any such instance," schools' spokesman Tim Lussier told The Pilot. "As always, the safety of our students is our foremost priority."
Read more at http://www.wral.com/pinecrest-stude...g-gun-to-school/13619754/#lHL0lBMscktXhExH.99

Well, we certainly know its not educating kids with that common core that you folks love.

I see nothing wrong with a sawed-off shotgun. Its just another firearm and it has its uses. Why they are outlawed? Just another example of the gov't violating our rights to choose whatever gun we feel is right for us.

What folks love? We homeschool... :)

solus

I presume a warrant or consent was involved with the search? The story didn't say much...

no, this is one of the things parents, who enroll their children in school, is to sign away is their right to refuse a search of their child's personal property and person, without them even being there.

i am disappointed no other info has filtered out of this but i have sent an email to wral to see if there is any update(s).

ipse

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
no, this is one of the things parents, who enroll their children in school, is to sign away is their right to refuse a search of their child's personal property and person, without them even being there.

i am disappointed no other info has filtered out of this.

ipse

Minors have limited rights and protections under the 4th Amendment (as well as most of the others) while they are in elementary/middle/high schools. Adults (those over 18) have the full protection of the Constitution. http://www.thefire.org/student-network/

And for those that have forgotten, thanks to the lack of train fare sawed offshotguns are illegal. Like it or not, until Congress gets around to passing a law that says otherwise, that's the way it is.

stay safe.

solus

Minors have limited rights and protections under the 4th Amendment (as well as most of the others) while they are in elementary/middle/high schools. Adults (those over 18) have the full protection of the Constitution. http://www.thefire.org/student-network/

And for those that have forgotten, thanks to the lack of train fare sawed offshotguns are illegal. Like it or not, until Congress gets around to passing a law that says otherwise, that's the way it is.

stay safe.

as mentioned, here they are considered weapons of mass destruction codified by statute 14-288.8 (c)(3).

and if i recall from conversations w/parents, but can not find a specific cite, youn's right(s). including >18 have been whittled away under the guise of 'protection of the children'.

this school district has it own police force and chief roaming around.

ipse

WalkingWolf

A sawed off shotgun is not illegal unless it falls under the length restrictions. Having it on school property is another issue. But I do not see it even near a weapon of mass destruction.

carolina guy

i am disappointed no other info has filtered out of this but i have sent an email to wral to see if there is any update(s).

ipse

Since the student in question is 18 (per the OP story link), the limit on the 4A does not really apply, hence my question. ;)

hhofent

When I was in school, less than a decade ago, everybody had a shotgun or two in the truck. It's amazing no one was killed. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-R680 using Tapatalk 2

carolina guy

When I was in school, less than a decade ago, everybody had a shotgun or two in the truck. It's amazing no one was killed. :rolleyes:

Back in the early 80's in Round Rock,Texas, 1/2 the pickups in my high school parking lot had rifles and shotguns in the racks...nobody cared. Nothing bad happened either.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A sawed off shotgun is not illegal unless it falls under the length restrictions. Having it on school property is another issue. But I do not see it even near a weapon of mass destruction.

Why should there be any length restrictions .. I guess under 12" barrel would make it a handgun ...

But there are handguns that can shoot shotgun shells....

hhofent

Why should there be any length restrictions .. I guess under 12" barrel would make it a handgun ...

But there are handguns that can shoot shotgun shells....

Very true. And a two good loads of buckshot with no choke out of a short barrel would suck at close range, but probably would nt kill you at medium range and would go over and under you at long range. Hardly a weapon of mass destruction. why not treat them like handguns? Especially if the stock is cut too?