• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TMJ4 Reports Carry Illegal in Oconomowoc

wimwag

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/05/wi-tmj4-reports-oconomowoc-gun-law.html?m=1

After a viewer sent in a picture of a man openly carrying a handgun at a park, TMJ4 reported that it is against Oconomowoc city ordinances to carry in any manner on public property. I sent an email informing them of the error and they completely ignored the state law and insisted they were correct.

I'll post the email in a minute because I cannot switch between apps on Windows 8 without losing my work.

wimwag

Dear Mr. Pieters,

Thank you for your note.

We have double-checked our facts and have confirmed our report on Oconomowoc law and the open carry of firearms in city parks is correct.

Both the city administrator and police chief confirm the following municipal code is in effect, and they believe, enforceable:

9.02(2)(a) -- "May not openly possess a firearm on any land located in City parks or within any public building owned by the City, which is similar to §§29.089(2) and 941.235, Wis. Stats."

We're talking to the police chief today, along with Nik Clark from Wisconsin Carry. You can see what we've uncovered about this story, tonight on "Live at 5:00" and "Live at 10:00".

--

DIANE IRVING
ASSISTANT NEWS DIRECTOR - TODAY'S TMJ4
email: dirving@todaystmj4.com
twitter: TMJ4DianeIrving

tm6200

Are there Judges in that county that go by their own rules too. I would hate to have to wake up to that very morning.

Franky

300 mile away crusaders plus much closer steroid fans getting hysterical. A panic attack for naught. The problem will be corrected.

Last edited:

range rat

This is what i sent, an this is what i got back..

Sir, can you please be so kind, and pass this along too Mr. Steve Chamraz.

Applicability to County Parks/Land
As explained above, the Act permits a county to ban the carry of concealed weapons via posting in any buildings that are "owned, occupied or controlled" by the county. However, a state or local governmental unit generally may not prohibit a person with a concealed weapon from entering or remaining on the "grounds" of a publicly controlled building or on public land (including parks). The one possible exception is that the Act permits an entity (including a state or local governmental unit) to prohibit concealed weapons at a "special event." The Act creates trespassing liability for an individual who:
While carrying a firearm, enters or remains at a special event if the organizers of the special event have notified the actor not to enter or remain at the special event while carrying a firearm or with that firearm. This subdivision does not apply, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the special event grounds or building used as a parking facility. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(1m)(c)(3).
Like the exceptions discussed above, a state or governmental entity would still need to post approved signs to prohibit firearms at a special event. The Act defines "special event" as "an event that is open to the public, is for a duration of not more than 3 weeks, and either has designated entrances to and from the event that are locked when the event is closed or requires an admission." Id. at § 943.13(1e)(h). While this definition of special event would appear to include functions like county fairs or related festivals where an admission is required, it would not cover free events (like concerts) that are given in parks or other outdoor spaces.
Thus, if there was a "special event" going on in a county park, a county could prohibit concealed weapons during that event by posting approved signs. Absent these special circumstances, however, there does not appear to be a basis to prohibit concealed weapons on county land.
Conclusion
While 2011 Wisconsin Act 35 has changed the rules regarding concealed weapons, counties retain the right to prohibit concealed weapons in all county-owned buildings, and can exercise this right by posting appropriate notices at all entrances. By complying with the procedural prerequisites in the Act, counties can take additional steps to ensure the safety and security of their public buildings.
NOTES:

Dear Mr. Malachowski,

Thank you for your note.

We have double-checked our facts and have confirmed our report on Oconomowoc law and the open carry of firearms in city parks is correct.

Both the city administrator and police chief confirm the following municipal code is in effect, and they believe, enforceable:

9.02(2)(a) -- "May not openly possess a firearm on any land located in City parks or within any public building owned by the City, which is similar to §§29.089(2) and 941.235, Wis. Stats."

We're talking to the police chief today, along with Nik Clark from Wisconsin Carry. You can see what we've uncovered about this story, tonight on "Live at 5:00" and "Live at 10:00".

wimwag

Form letter. Definitely shows willful ignorance and contempt for the law. Plan a protest?

wimwag

I'm not an activist by a long shot but when the media blatantly lies to try to convince the public what is legal is not, then we all must stand up. This is another attempt to cause pain and suffering to gun owners.

Law abider

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2014/05/wi-tmj4-reports-oconomowoc-gun-law.html?m=1

After a viewer sent in a picture of a man openly carrying a handgun at a park, TMJ4 reported that it is against Oconomowoc city ordinances to carry in any manner on public property. I sent an email informing them of the error and they completely ignored the state law and insisted they were correct.

I'll post the email in a minute because I cannot switch between apps on Windows 8 without losing my work.

There are two situations:1) they know the law and are ignoring it. 2) they are all bozos and didn't read the law, act 35 or senate bill92. This situation needs nipping in the bud before other local municipalities get bold and start enforcing nullified local codes.

wimwag

Greetings in Freedom,

Yesterday Wisconsin Carry sent an email describing a local media report about an area municipality attempting to enforce a "preempted" ordinance that would ban open carry from Oconomowoc Parks.

For more information on the message from yesterday see this link:

http://www.wisconsincarry.org/news/reporting-vs-journalism.aspx

I'm pleased to relay that I received a call from the Oconomowoc Police Chief today who let me know that he has reviewed their local ordinance banning open carry in parks and realized it no longer fell within state law. He said he will be asking the city council to remove the ordinance at the next meeting. In the meantime, it will not be enforced.

Thank-you to everyone who picked up a phone, sent an email, re-tweeted a tweet, or shared the situation with friends and family. Your actions resulted in the local station, who's initial report mis-represented state law and the carry-rights of law-abiding Wisconsinites,doing a follow up story to focus attention on Oconomowoc's unenforceable (preempted by state law) ordinance.

That renewed focus prompted Oconomowoc to revisit their ordinance and agree with WCI's contention that it was unenforceable.

In short "good work"! The power of patriots, who are willing to stand for their constitutionally guaranteed rights, is noteworthy!

Carry on!

Nik Clark
Chairman/President - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
www.wisconsincarry.org
nik@wisconsincarry.org

I guess that's that. We will see how the city council responds.

MKEgal

wimwag said:
Form letter. Definitely shows willful ignorance and contempt for the law. Plan a protest?
There was one planned, but when the city announced that it had reviewed the law and admitted they were wrong, the protest was turned into a celebration.

Nightmare said:
It appears that their illogic is that the city ordinance is somehow similar to ss29.089(2) No person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.
Except that that's no longer the law.
You forgot the rest of it.

No person may have in his or her possession or under his or her control a firearm on land located in state fish hatcheries unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed within a carrying case.
This subsection does not apply to any of the following:
(d) A licensee ... or an out-of-state licensee ... if the firearm is a handgun.