Thread: anybody paying attn to this case in hartford - testimony before a committee

Banned

anybody paying attn to this case in hartford - testimony before a committee

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/Docum...mentNo=7353467

Case is about if you can be sued for your testimony before a legislative committee...for defamation.

And this is why I do my own case work. The guy should have motioned to strike these counts of the complaint instead of summary judgment.

The court sidestepped this question altogether in his memo...reconsideration was denied.

I think the judge is wrong ~ why not address a single count via a summary judgment too...but its best to attack through a motion to strike; do it early and do it before you have to file a response to the complaint.
    Lazy lawyering is my guess. And not an active defendant ~ he could have filed a co-appearance, pro se and filed the motion to strike on his own. In cases where I did have a lawyer, I was a co-pro se litigant able to make filings. It forces the lawyer to file motions because if he won't file a motion you want filed he knows that you have the ability to do so.

I think it creates an unfair playing field myself ~ companies can claim that they have been injured. But if a company lies - where's your standing to sue?

On the other hand, I don't see any law that does not allow a party to sue another (ya cannot sue actual members of the general assembly-they're special) if their speech at a legislative hearing harms one.

I'll be watching this case closely.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 05-07-2014 at 02:49 AM.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/Docum...mentNo=7353467

Case is about if you can be sued for your testimony before a legislative committee...for defamation.

And this is why I do my own case work. The guy should have motioned to strike these counts of the complaint instead of summary judgment.

The court sidestepped this question altogether in his memo...reconsideration was denied.

I think the judge is wrong ~ why not address a single count via a summary judgment too...but its best to attack through a motion to strike; do it early and do it before you have to file a response to the complaint.
    Lazy lawyering is my guess. And not an active defendant ~ he could have filed a co-appearance, pro se and filed the motion to strike on his own. In cases where I did have a lawyer, I was a co-pro se litigant able to make filings. It forces the lawyer to file motions because if he won't file a motion you want filed he knows that you have the ability to do so.

I think it creates an unfair playing field myself ~ companies can claim that they have been injured. But if a company lies - where's your standing to sue?

On the other hand, I don't see any law that does not allow a party to sue another (ya cannot sue actual members of the general assembly-they're special) if their speech at a legislative hearing harms one.

I'll be watching this case closely.
    What does this have to do with the right to openly carry a properly-holstered firearm in public?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    What does this have to do with the right to openly carry a properly-holstered firearm in public?
    Has everything to do with it ... you do give testimony concerning gun control bills don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Has everything to do with it ... you do give testimony concerning gun control bills don't you?
    I'd like to be the fly on the wall next time you do this.