Thread: 'On the firing line', Chuckton P&C Letter to Editor

'On the firing line', Chuckton P&C Letter to Editor

"Two God-fearing, law-abiding, red-blooded American citizens are walking through the Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta. They are exercising their right to carry a gun. While sitting in a passenger lounge, they become embroiled in a heated argument. Soon threats are exchanged. Later, each one says the other one made the first threat. They also said they were fearful for their lives. They both stood up and moved away and drew their pistols; each accused the other of drawing first. Later, witnesses could not recall who drew first. One of the shooters was not hit and the other one received a minor wound. The bullet that missed its mark hit a young woman sitting at the end of the bar, killing her. Neither man was charged since they were exercising their "stand your ground" rights. The woman was eulogized as a martyr in the defense of Georgia gun rights. This, of course, did not happen. But this Georgia law could promote "a gunfight at the OK Corral" mentality.

Phil LaRusse
    Shadow Race Lane
    Folly Beach

Hysterical hyperbolic hypothetical flaming straw stalking horse of zero substance, but still printed in the P&C - Posted-against-guns and Currying-favor-with-the-progs.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

This, of course, did not happen. But this Georgia law could promote "a gunfight at the OK Corral" mentality.
    If you cannot control your emotions the best thing to do is project that flaw onto everybody else.

And we know that such blood-in-the-streets events would happen because they have happened everywhere else that people are allowed to carry guns.

As for the "gunfight at the O.K.* Corral" thing - iirc the Clantons were accused of cattle rustling and multiple murders and they admitted both charges were true while refusing to submit to lawful arrest. Precisely the same circumstances as in Phil LaRusse's dream.

The event took place is 1881 and was just a footnote in history until 50 years later when Stuart Lake published his highly fictionalized biography of Wyatt Earp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfigh...he_O.K._Corral

The stupid is strong. There is no antidote - not even the truth and logic.

stay safe.

* - the periods <.> after each letter are needed; it's a proper noun, they were in the original, and it must be spelled properly.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Interwebz link to the letter?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Interwebz link to the letter?
    Sorry, forgetful of me.

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...40509554/1025/

letters@postandcourier.com

To me, the most fascinating aspect of the O.K. Corral affair is how mundane the shootout actually was. And yet, apparently, that was just about the most exciting thing to ever happen in the Old West.

Kind of changes your perspective on the whole "wild" thing. Although there was a great deal of lawlessness, most of it was of the petty sort one would expect in any time or place.

We are infected - inculcated - with the movie version of the settling of the West. Santayana dooms US to repeat the past even if we mis-remember it or recall the lie instead of the truth.

My family sailed around the Horn of Good Hope in a compact brigantine sailing-ship to settle in California. There is no family tradition of such excitement. The town that I lived in, a suburb of San Jose and not far from Alviso-anus of the Bay, had just paved Main Street and still had wooden sidewalks - and no bullet holes in the buildings and no local jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    My family sailed around the Horn of Good Hope in a compact brigantine sailing-ship to settle in California. There is no family tradition of such excitement. The town that I lived in, a suburb of San Jose and not far from Alviso-anus of the Bay, had just paved Main Street and still had wooden sidewalks - and no bullet holes in the buildings and no local jail.
    I enjoyed this brief anecdote. Thank you.

Horn of Africa, Cape of Good Hope.

Cape Horn, Drake Passage.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Horn of Africa, Cape of Good Hope Cape Horn, Drake Passage.
    You are correct, Cape Horn by Drake's Passage.

Banned
    Another alcohol related death.