Thread: Question on Training

Question on Training

On other sites, such as newspaper outlets and their forums, I have seen the question posed asking why "trained, background-checked adult, aged 21 or older, cannot carry a legally owned handgun". However, I have never seen an single posting to this thread (Ohio Training) about anyone training their marksmanship and firearm handling skills. Is this what this thread is about? Does anyone actually do this on a regular basis?

Banned
    I don't car about training requirements .. what other right do you need "training" for?

i believe you will find each state has space for 'training' threads if a member wishes to offer training within their respective state's training opportunities, abet, CCW, NRA, tactical, etc.

despite what the infamous mcbeth states, most folk do take advantage of firearm training after they determine the type and depth of training they require. to meet their need, they go on word of mouth recommendations from their friends, local gun shops or the internet to discern where to obtain training to meet their individual requirements.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-07-2014 at 06:06 PM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by commonsense1776 View Post
    On other sites, such as newspaper outlets and their forums, I have seen the question posed asking why "trained, background-checked adult, aged 21 or older, cannot carry a legally owned handgun". However, I have never seen an single posting to this thread (Ohio Training) about anyone training their marksmanship and firearm handling skills. Is this what this thread is about? Does anyone actually do this on a regular basis?
    As a Virginian, I can't speak to the training that people in Ohio go through. I can suggest, however, that those who do not train regularly with their firearm are at a distinct disadvantage. Competency with a handgun requires complete familiarity with the operation of the firearm and regular practice in firing it. Accuracy requires proper stance, proper grip, hold control, breath control, sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control, all working together. A competent firearm user will also understand how to handle their firearm safely -- the standard safety rules and how to handle malfunctions (misfires, hangfires and squibs, as well as stoppages (failure to feed, double feeds or failure to eject.)

Firearms in the hands of untrained shooters can be dangerous to themselves and others. Do not take the advice of those people (coughMcBethcough) who tell you you don't need training because you have a *right* to have a firearm.

If Ohioans are similar to shooters everywhere, they take gun ownership seriously and practice, practice, practice. They may not post it on this site, but I am certain that they work hard to become and stay safe and proficient.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 05-09-2014 at 11:39 AM.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    ... Firearms in the hands of untrained shooters can be dangerous to themselves and others. ...
    Firearms in the hands of trained shooters can be dangerous. This is kind of the point regarding firearms.

Basic firearm familiarity (your firearm) and strict adherence to the four safety rules makes for a citizen who will likely be just as competent in the "average" SD event as a more experienced shooter. Firearm safety is the foundation. Familiarity with your firearm compliments safety.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Firearms in the hands of trained shooters can be dangerous. This is kind of the point regarding firearms. [ ... ]
    Firearms in the hands of elite shooters are as dangerous as keyboards in the hands of the unlettered and unread. To a hammerhead, all is nail.

I just noticed OPie's username; "The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense," always has (since 1776) and always will.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-08-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Firearms in the hands of trained shooters can be dangerous. This is kind of the point regarding firearms.

Basic firearm familiarity (your firearm) and strict adherence to the four safety rules makes for a citizen who will likely be just as competent in the "average" SD event as a more experienced shooter. Firearm safety is the foundation. Familiarity with your firearm compliments safety.
    Disagree that just adhering to the 4 safety rules makes you just as competent in a SD situation as an experienced shooter.

Training makes a difference. Sometimes all the difference.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

I just noticed OPie's username; "The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense," always has (since 1776) and always will.

??? Care to expound on this nugget? Please do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Firearms in the hands of elite shooters are as dangerous as keyboards in the hands of the unlettered and unread. To a hammerhead, all is nail.

The absence of Jane Austin's book from a library would make a good library that hadn't a book in it.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

The absence of Jane Austin's book from a library would make a good library that hadn't a book in it.
    LOL Just so, well said. Which of the eleven? http://www.gutenberg.org/author/Jane_G._Austin
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Thank you to those of you who posted about training, or not training. The responses were interesting.