Thread: Crowdfunding project counter to bogus anti-gun ‘studies’ John R. Lott CPRC (Video)

Crowdfunding project counter to bogus anti-gun ‘studies’ John R. Lott CPRC (Video)

"Debunking agenda-driven baloney like the kind VPC is serving up is but one area out of many needed undertakings for a project proposed on the Indiegogo crowdfunding website, where an effort is being made to raise $300,000 to finance the Crime Prevention Research Center. Core activity plans for the CPRC include:
    • Conduct and publish academic quality research on the relationship between laws regulating the ownership or use of guns, crime and public safety.
    • Support affiliated academics in conducting and publishing similar research by means such as providing direct financial support, sharing data, and providing technical assistance.
    • Educate the public, journalists, and policy makers on the results of research on these issues by means such as books, public lectures, newspaper columns, academic seminars, and information briefings.
    • Make research and data available to researchers, the public, policy makers, and journalists by maintaining a comprehensive website.
    • Engage in other related activities consistent with the mission and goals of CPRC.

http://www.examiner.com/article/crow...ti-gun-studies

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...search-center/
    Our IndieGoGo Campaign is LIVE! Click here to help us launch.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...cprc/x/7205963
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Publicly available raw data is available publicly.

F.B.I.

All the data you need without the commentary.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

F.B.I.

You've got a point there. The CDC and the FBI provide amazingly unbiased (considering nearly the entirety of all other government-subsidized sociological research) statistics, and the best part is they all bolster our case.

Prohibition not only doesn't work, it creates all sorts of unintended consequences. This isn't exactly a novel conclusion, and guns aren't somehow magically different from everything else.

Frankly, gun prohibitionists are living a century in the past.
    Last edited by marshaul; 05-07-2014 at 08:21 AM.

As you correctly indicate, the raw data speaks for itself and requires no elaboration.....there is no "splainin" to do.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

We can lead the ass to water (the data) but we cannot make them drink (think) - or deeply of the truth.

Good people ought to be armed as they will, with wits and guns and the Truth.

I just contributed $100 and will get a signed copy of one of John Lott's books.

Raw statistics aren't enough unfortunately to counter fake studies! It really does take a team of dedicated (and smart) researchers to dig through all the pseudo-academic anti-gun studies to document and point out all the BS!

Hope I'm not the only one who helps out with this much needed endeavor!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post

Raw statistics aren't enough unfortunately to counter fake studies! It really does take a team of dedicated (and smart) researchers to dig through all the pseudo-academic anti-gun studies to document and point out all the BS!

Thank you from the bottom of my overly large heart! You are not alone. I contribute to Hillsdale College, and John R. Lott.

Quote Originally Posted by OC4me View Post

Exactly. It's easy to say "there's the raw numbers, look for yourself" but the truth is most people won't. Thus having actual studies/research done to counter the antis BS makes it easier to do so. I've actually used some of them in the past that I wouldn't have known about otherwise if it wasn't for things like gunfacts.info, so more info out there will only help us even more. Especially as antis come up with new things (like the list of "victims" of gun crime where around 25% of the people on the list were criminals like the Boston Marathon bomber).

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Exactly. It's easy to say "there's the raw numbers, look for yourself" but the truth is most people won't. Thus having actual studies/research done to counter the antis BS makes it easier to do so. I've actually used some of them in the past that I wouldn't have known about otherwise if it wasn't for things like gunfacts.info, so more info out there will only help us even more. Especially as antis come up with new things (like the list of "victims" of gun crime where around 25% of the people on the list were criminals like the Boston Marathon bomber).
    now the highlighted statement reflects why we need unbiased researchers like Lott, et al., looking at the stats for us...

guardian quote: Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was named as a participant in an earlier triple homicide by a man who was shot to death while being questioned by authorities, according to a filing by federal prosecutors in the case against his brother.... unquote. http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-triple-murder

with only a quarter of my critical thinking cap on my head, bells go off about the credibility of allegations of criminal history of the Boston bombing suspect from another criminal who was being question by a federal agent and two state troopers and was 'shot to death' during said police questioning. guess the defense will have a bit of difficulty eliciting any type of cross on this character prosecution witness. but since it was presented to the judicial system, it has to be true since i know those involved would not fudge information to bolster their case against anybody!

and without any type of critical review on your part, you are now spreading the rumor of the suspect's criminal past on a national forum w/o a second thought.

however, twain is credited with saying: 'there are lies, damn lies and statistics'; but as nightmare rightly pointed out, getting the masses to read the boring commentary is the tricky part.

one of the most significant problems needed to be overcome is the 'quickie' news feeds on the internet with unheralded biases which take info out of context to make their point in a 30 second bite of video or headline which the world's population believe as truthful as the gospel.

as the infamous skidmark pointed out just this morning: "All the information on the internet is guaranteed to be 100% accurate. If it weren't they wouldn't allow it there." Abrahan Lincoln
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...70#post2058770

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 05-08-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    now the highlighted statement reflects why we need unbiased researchers like Lott, et al., looking at the stats for us...

guardian quote: Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was named as a participant in an earlier triple homicide by a man who was shot to death while being questioned by authorities, according to a filing by federal prosecutors in the case against his brother.... unquote. http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-triple-murder

with only a quarter of my critical thinking cap on my head, bells go off about the credibility of allegations of criminal history of the Boston bombing suspect from another criminal who was being question by a federal agent and two state troopers and was 'shot to death' during said police questioning. guess the defense will have a bit of difficulty eliciting any type of cross on this character prosecution witness. but since it was presented to the judicial system, it has to be true since i know those involved would not fudge information to bolster their case against anybody!

and without any type of critical review on your part, you are now spreading the rumor of the suspect's criminal past on a national forum w/o a second thought.

however, twain is credited with saying: 'there are lies, damn lies and statistics'; but as nightmare rightly pointed out, getting the masses to read the boring commentary is the tricky part.

one of the most significant problems needed to be overcome is the 'quickie' news feeds on the internet with unheralded biases which take info out of context to make their point in a 30 second bite of video or headline which the world's population believe as truthful as the gospel.

as the infamous skidmark pointed out just this morning: "All the information on the internet is guaranteed to be 100% accurate. If it weren't they wouldn't allow it there." Abrahan Lincoln
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...70#post2058770

ipse
    How am I spreading a rumor about his criminal past? I hadn't even heard of what you're linking. What I was talking about was when one of the bloomberg groups was reading off names of victims of gun violence. One of the "victims" was the bomber. Once the bomber's name was read people started to fact-check their list and it was found that ~25% of the "victims" were people either committing a crime at the time of being shot or likely committing a crime (like gang on gang, buying/selling drugs, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post

F.B.I.

Not even close.

As an analyst, I find the FBI's data to be robust, but lacking in a number of key areas. Other well-known researchers have discovered the same. The FBI's data is largely secondary, and therefore dependent on the data collected by individual law-enforcement agencies. Some of the data is standardized, even federally mandated. As collecting and reporting data is expensive, however, the feds don't mandate local, county, and state law enforcement agencies report every iota of data. In fact, they can't, and Congress has rightfully sided with the individual agencies, who're happy to provide basic data, but balk are sharing, or even collecting everything.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.