Thread: Prog's unintended consequences: Hash oil explosions rise with legalized marijuana

Prog's unintended consequences: Hash oil explosions rise with legalized marijuana

"Law enforcement and fire officials, meanwhile, are grappling with how to respond, as the questionable legality of the process has made it difficult to punish amateur chemists. Some prosecutors are charging them with felonies, while others say hash oil production is protected under a provision of the new legal pot law."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...05-06-06-44-51

You may beat their rap but you will not beat their ride!
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Explosion.....fire, maybe.....water. The proper response is water.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Explosion.....fire, maybe.....water. The proper response is water.
    Why isn't the "proper response" education. If they're going to legalize drug use then teach the proper use of the substance, like any substance.

Many people make essential oils without mishap. We've got a whole cottage industry starting up here, maybe a Million$$dollars$$ invested in lavender plants - 100+ acres - production and retail facilities. http://www.fragrantisle.com/

One will note the statistical insignificance (order 10) of the "issue" in question, and wonder how this is possibly worth any law enforcement attention at all.

One might also observe that, given time, professional labs should be expected to fill the demand for hash oil, reducing this to little more than experimentation for budding DIY-ers (who occasionally blow themselves up one way or another anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Many people make essential oils without mishap.
    Indeed. And considering the remarkable infrequency with which these accidents occur, it seems fairly evident that hash oil is also nearly always made without mishap.

Were I to make an essential oil for consumption, I'd steep the herb in quality ethanol (Stoli, perhaps, distilled to 100%), distill the ethanol off for reuse or perhaps beverage and have the oil remaining.

Why isn't the "proper response" education. If they're going to legalize drug use then teach the proper use of the substance, like any substance.

Many people make essential oils without mishap. We've got a whole cottage industry starting up here, maybe a Million$$dollars$$ invested in lavender plants - 100+ acres - production and retail facilities. http://www.fragrantisle.com/
    Another call for legislation to fix the stupid amongst us.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

perhaps beverage and have the oil remaining.
    I have heard of folks imbibing alcohol tinctures of the substance in question.

The suppressed would-be sophisticate in me marvels at the possibilities of human ingenuity when it comes to the arts of leisure, and is eager for the end of prohibition nationwide, if only to see how much better we can do than back-alley flophouses and stupefied high-schoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I have heard of folks imbibing alcohol tinctures of the substance in question. [ ... ]
    LOL indeed. I've never thought of lavender as flavoring, only as fragrant odorant.

I greatly miss Ali'i Chang that founded Maui's Kula Lavender Gardens http://www.aliikulalavender.com/

LOL indeed. I've never thought of lavender as flavoring, only as fragrant odorant.

I greatly miss Ali'i Chang that founded Maui's Kula Lavender Gardens http://www.aliikulalavender.com/
    Well, I wasn't referring to that "substance in question" (), but as it happens I have myself tried various foods including lavender for flavor, which can certainly be used to good effect.

Supper critical CO2 might be one of the best ways to extract the oils.

Butane has been proven, butter has been proven, and yes alcohol tinctures are effective for recreational/medical use.

But the oils are being extracted for various reasons, one of them being a cancer cure/treatment.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Supper critical CO2 might be one of the best ways to extract the oils.
    [ ... ]
    My point, OPie's point, is that the hazardous processes are avoidable. CO2 critical point is 1070 psi and 88F.

I learned to make Liebig-straight and coil condensers in Jr.HS and made good spending money through HS producing them.