Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailing in pistol sales record slip.

Mailing in pistol sales record slip.

Bought a Beretta 92FS M9A1, and want to mail in the slip because I hate taking my family to Flint to hand it in, in person. I was thinking I should send it certified mail as so I would have a tracking number for it when it gets delivered, and they would have to sign for it. Will this work, or might they refuse to sign for it?
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Mail it (certified) and you've complied to 28.422a (CPL, PSR). It's their problem at that point not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXDacp View Post
    Mail it (certified) and you've complied to 28.422a (CPL, PSR). It's their problem at that point not yours.
    Thank you... I real did not want to have to drive to Flint.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
    - Richard Henry Lee
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

Some random person, "I will not give up safety because of a few misplaced concerns of the uneducated." end quote...

Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    Thank you... I real did not want to have to drive to Flint.
    Should not have a problem, my wife sent hers certified and in a couple weeks received a conformation received

Banned
    The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the record and forward 1 copy to the police department of the city, village, or township in which the purchaser resides, or, if the purchaser does not reside in a city, village, or township having a police department, to the county sheriff, within 10 days following the purchase or acquisition from statue noted above

People actually do this? How does this improve the safety of those that provide this information?

The way I read the statue is that it is a directory provision, not mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the record and forward 1 copy to the police department of the city, village, or township in which the purchaser resides, or, if the purchaser does not reside in a city, village, or township having a police department, to the county sheriff, within 10 days following the purchase or acquisition from statue noted above

People actually do this? How does this improve the safety of those that provide this information?

The way I read the statue is that it is a directory provision, not mandatory.
    You read it wrong. See MCLs 422.28 and section 750.227 for violations. Having possession of any non registered modern pistol is a crime in MI for a resident of that state. This includes BB & Pellet pistols with a rifled barrel. The MSP has argued for years that pistol registration helps them solve gun crimes. I would like to see the data. Something tellls me the % of violent gun crimes are not solved by knowing who owns what pistol....
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-09-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    You read it wrong. See MCLs 422.28 and section 750.227 for violations. Having possession of any non registered modern pistol is a crime in MI for a resident of that state. This includes BB & Pellet pistols with a rifled barrel. The MSP has argued for years that pistol registration helps them solve gun crimes. I would like to see the data. Something tellls me the % of violent gun crimes are not solved by knowing who owns what pistol....
    I only see the provision as creating a safety risk for those that provide that information; hence, it cannot be mandatory.

Well then - move to MI, do not register your pistols for a while, then OC them to your local Kroger's and see what happens if the police show up. Hint - most likely ends in you getting a set of bracelets you don't want or far worse.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Well then - move to MI, do not register your pistols for a while, then OC them to your local Kroger's and see what happens if the police show up. Hint - most likely ends in you getting a set of bracelets you don't want or far worse.
    lol.... PM me and we will catch up....
    - Richard Henry Lee
    - Samuel Adams

Banned
    So you agree with me but would worry about someone still getting arrested..

So you agree with me but would worry about someone still getting arrested..
    I agree that registration is complete bunk! This said, it is the law in MI and aggressively enforced by MI LEAs. Ask former Detroit Piston player Ben Wallace. He narrowly evading being charged with a felony for improperly transporting/possession of his "wife's" pistol! He did not have the all powerful MI CPL, thus the only sidearm he could have legally transported in a vehicle / carried on foot, would have been one he had a pistol purchase permit for.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...Tt7K_blog.html

He faced a 5 year felony charge simply because the pistol was not registered to him, and was not in a container designed for the transport of firearms.

Now David - if MI police are willing to charge a multimillionaire basketball star for not registering a pistol / possession of a pistol not registered to him - you think they are going to cut the average citizen a break? Doubtful at best. As always I wish much of what you say in this forum was true... sadly though, in the case of MI, you are very, very far from the reality of what is true there in MI

Had he been in AZ he'd been charged for the DUI but the pistol would have been perfectly legal.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-10-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Bottom line, if you are going to own a handgun in Michigan, make sure it is properly registered. If you are going to carry a gun, get a CPL first....it will save you a whole lot of potential legal issues. While some people don't agree with the need for having a CPL, it will save you a lot of grief and potential legal issues in the future.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    Bottom line, if you are going to own a handgun in Michigan, make sure it is properly registered. If you are going to carry a gun, get a CPL first....it will save you a whole lot of potential legal issues. While some people don't agree with the need for having a CPL, it will save you a lot of grief and potential legal issues in the future.
    Bottom line ... anyone going to hold it to the state to remove these illegal requirements?

I refuse to perform an act that I believe will put my life at risk.

Bottom line ... anyone going to hold it to the state to remove these illegal requirements?

On a serious note.... you feel mailing in a slip will put your lifeboat more risk then you telling LE to bring body bags if they are going to enter your house?

Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by budlight View Post
    Bottom line, if you are going to own a handgun in Michigan, make sure it is properly registered.
    I attempted to verify pistol registration via Public Query (that it's acutally there & accurate) but my Sheriff's department said they don't/can't/won't look that up. I called the MSP and they said it can be done at any police department. I tried the one near work they didn't know what I was trying to do either.

I sent mine certified since the Sheriff's dept is quite a ways away. I kept the signed return receipt but it can be argued in court that I sent an empty envelope.
    Last edited by jfmi; 05-11-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Many of the questions in this thread can be answered with a simple FOIA request. :-)

As for mailing the purchase permit copy in... I frankly don't have enough trust in most PDs records departments to feel comfortable doing this, though technically you are allowed to.

On a side note: If you don't do anything that will put your life at serious risk, then that means you don't operate or ride in cars either?

Though, I completely agree with the sentiment of 'well, get rid of pistol registration'. It would have to be worded correctly though, since right now the permit to purchase satisfies an important requirement for non-CPL OCers being 'licensed' to carry.
    Last edited by Evil Creamsicle; 05-15-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    On a serious note.... you feel mailing in a slip will put your lifeboat more risk then you telling LE to bring body bags if they are going to enter your house?

Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    I'm more than serious Primus. I will not register anything ever. Gov't don't like it? They know where I am. I have plenty of fire extinguishers.

I'm more than serious Primus. I will not register anything ever. Gov't don't like it? They know where I am. I have plenty of fire extinguishers.
    Is it possible you reside in a state where the registration of handguns and long guns are not required? What about vehicles you may own/drive on our public streets and highways? Those are not registered as well? Or do you only utilize public transportation?

Knowing the utter incompetence in some depts, I always make time to hand deliver it so I have evidence I was there (my dash cam with time and date) and their cameras showing me hand it over.

If I had no choice but to mail it would be certified registered with a tracking number and signature required.

Quote Originally Posted by OneForAll View Post
    Bought a Beretta 92FS M9A1, and want to mail in the slip because I hate taking my family to Flint to hand it in, in person. I was thinking I should send it certified mail as so I would have a tracking number for it when it gets delivered, and they would have to sign for it. Will this work, or might they refuse to sign for it?
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

I bought a $57.00 dash cam and I use it to record my sealing things up, just in case. It does 720 and 1080P and is amazing and works to keep a video record of my acts I want to have as evidence. I got it on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by jfmi View Post
    I attempted to verify pistol registration via Public Query (that it's acutally there & accurate) but my Sheriff's department said they don't/can't/won't look that up. I called the MSP and they said it can be done at any police department. I tried the one near work they didn't know what I was trying to do either.

I sent mine certified since the Sheriff's dept is quite a ways away. I kept the signed return receipt but it can be argued in court that I sent an empty envelope.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

MI has gun registration Sounds like NY, MA, CT or RI

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40sc View Post
    If people did not do it, the law would have no meaning.

If people did not do it, the law would have no meaning.
    Gun confiscation for dummies

Step #1 Make a detailed list of gun ownership...... done

You live in Illinois with your FOID cards and tell us you have ignored your state law to get rid of your bad law (How has that worked out for you?) and you tell us we need to fix OUR laws?

I do believe that suggesting we break an obvious law is against forum rule (15).
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Gun confiscation for dummies

Step #1 Make a detailed list of gun ownership...... done
    I'm glad for you, that in North Carolina, you don't have to register your handguns. We've been fighting to get rid of our registration system. So far, we've managed to get rid of the "safety inspection" part. We're working on the other part but, it's not easy.

And in case any of you think that ignoring the law, or not knowing the law won't hurt you, go ask Angel Shayama, founder of keepandbeararms.com. He's had a little experience in that regard.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bl.../1589795/posts
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast