• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mailing in pistol sales record slip.

OneForAll

Bought a Beretta 92FS M9A1, and want to mail in the slip because I hate taking my family to Flint to hand it in, in person. I was thinking I should send it certified mail as so I would have a tracking number for it when it gets delivered, and they would have to sign for it. Will this work, or might they refuse to sign for it?

davidmcbeth

Banned
The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the record and forward 1 copy to the police department of the city, village, or township in which the purchaser resides, or, if the purchaser does not reside in a city, village, or township having a police department, to the county sheriff, within 10 days following the purchase or acquisition from statue noted above

People actually do this? How does this improve the safety of those that provide this information?

The way I read the statue is that it is a directory provision, not mandatory.

FreeInAZ

The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the record and forward 1 copy to the police department of the city, village, or township in which the purchaser resides, or, if the purchaser does not reside in a city, village, or township having a police department, to the county sheriff, within 10 days following the purchase or acquisition from statue noted above

People actually do this? How does this improve the safety of those that provide this information?

The way I read the statue is that it is a directory provision, not mandatory.

You read it wrong. See MCLs 422.28 and section 750.227 for violations. Having possession of any non registered modern pistol is a crime in MI for a resident of that state. This includes BB & Pellet pistols with a rifled barrel. The MSP has argued for years that pistol registration helps them solve gun crimes. I would like to see the data. Something tellls me the % of violent gun crimes are not solved by knowing who owns what pistol.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
You read it wrong. See MCLs 422.28 and section 750.227 for violations. Having possession of any non registered modern pistol is a crime in MI for a resident of that state. This includes BB & Pellet pistols with a rifled barrel. The MSP has argued for years that pistol registration helps them solve gun crimes. I would like to see the data. Something tellls me the % of violent gun crimes are not solved by knowing who owns what pistol.... :rolleyes:

I only see the provision as creating a safety risk for those that provide that information; hence, it cannot be mandatory.

FreeInAZ

Well then - move to MI, do not register your pistols for a while, then OC them to your local Kroger's and see what happens if the police show up. Hint - most likely ends in you getting a set of bracelets you don't want or far worse.

OneForAll

Well then - move to MI, do not register your pistols for a while, then OC them to your local Kroger's and see what happens if the police show up. Hint - most likely ends in you getting a set of bracelets you don't want or far worse.

lol.... PM me and we will catch up....

davidmcbeth

Banned

So you agree with me but would worry about someone still getting arrested..

FreeInAZ

So you agree with me but would worry about someone still getting arrested..

I agree that registration is complete bunk! This said, it is the law in MI and aggressively enforced by MI LEAs. Ask former Detroit Piston player Ben Wallace. He narrowly evading being charged with a felony for improperly transporting/possession of his "wife's" pistol! He did not have the all powerful MI CPL, thus the only sidearm he could have legally transported in a vehicle / carried on foot, would have been one he had a pistol purchase permit for.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...urban-detroit/2011/09/29/gIQAdVTt7K_blog.html

He faced a 5 year felony charge simply because the pistol was not registered to him, and was not in a container designed for the transport of firearms.

Now David - if MI police are willing to charge a multimillionaire basketball star for not registering a pistol / possession of a pistol not registered to him - you think they are going to cut the average citizen a break? Doubtful at best. As always I wish much of what you say in this forum was true... sadly though, in the case of MI, you are very, very far from the reality of what is true there in MI :(

Had he been in AZ he'd been charged for the DUI but the pistol would have been perfectly legal. ;)

Last edited:

budlight

Bottom line, if you are going to own a handgun in Michigan, make sure it is properly registered. If you are going to carry a gun, get a CPL first....it will save you a whole lot of potential legal issues. While some people don't agree with the need for having a CPL, it will save you a lot of grief and potential legal issues in the future.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Bottom line, if you are going to own a handgun in Michigan, make sure it is properly registered. If you are going to carry a gun, get a CPL first....it will save you a whole lot of potential legal issues. While some people don't agree with the need for having a CPL, it will save you a lot of grief and potential legal issues in the future.

Bottom line ... anyone going to hold it to the state to remove these illegal requirements?

I refuse to perform an act that I believe will put my life at risk.

Primus

Bottom line ... anyone going to hold it to the state to remove these illegal requirements?

I refuse to perform an act that I believe will put my life at risk.

On a serious note.... you feel mailing in a slip will put your lifeboat more risk then you telling LE to bring body bags if they are going to enter your house?

Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

jfmi

Bottom line, if you are going to own a handgun in Michigan, make sure it is properly registered.
I attempted to verify pistol registration via Public Query (that it's acutally there & accurate) but my Sheriff's department said they don't/can't/won't look that up. I called the MSP and they said it can be done at any police department. I tried the one near work they didn't know what I was trying to do either.

I sent mine certified since the Sheriff's dept is quite a ways away. I kept the signed return receipt but it can be argued in court that I sent an empty envelope.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Many of the questions in this thread can be answered with a simple FOIA request. :)

As for mailing the purchase permit copy in... I frankly don't have enough trust in most PDs records departments to feel comfortable doing this, though technically you are allowed to.

On a side note: If you don't do anything that will put your life at serious risk, then that means you don't operate or ride in cars either?

Though, I completely agree with the sentiment of 'well, get rid of pistol registration'. It would have to be worded correctly though, since right now the permit to purchase satisfies an important requirement for non-CPL OCers being 'licensed' to carry.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
On a serious note.... you feel mailing in a slip will put your lifeboat more risk then you telling LE to bring body bags if they are going to enter your house?

Lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I'm more than serious Primus. I will not register anything ever. Gov't don't like it? They know where I am. I have plenty of fire extinguishers.

SpringerXDacp

I'm more than serious Primus. I will not register anything ever. Gov't don't like it? They know where I am. I have plenty of fire extinguishers.

Is it possible you reside in a state where the registration of handguns and long guns are not required? What about vehicles you may own/drive on our public streets and highways? Those are not registered as well? Or do you only utilize public transportation?

Bailenforcer

Knowing the utter incompetence in some depts, I always make time to hand deliver it so I have evidence I was there (my dash cam with time and date) and their cameras showing me hand it over.

If I had no choice but to mail it would be certified registered with a tracking number and signature required.

Bought a Beretta 92FS M9A1, and want to mail in the slip because I hate taking my family to Flint to hand it in, in person. I was thinking I should send it certified mail as so I would have a tracking number for it when it gets delivered, and they would have to sign for it. Will this work, or might they refuse to sign for it?

Bailenforcer

I bought a $57.00 dash cam and I use it to record my sealing things up, just in case. It does 720 and 1080P and is amazing and works to keep a video record of my acts I want to have as evidence. I got it on ebay.

I attempted to verify pistol registration via Public Query (that it's acutally there & accurate) but my Sheriff's department said they don't/can't/won't look that up. I called the MSP and they said it can be done at any police department. I tried the one near work they didn't know what I was trying to do either.

I sent mine certified since the Sheriff's dept is quite a ways away. I kept the signed return receipt but it can be argued in court that I sent an empty envelope.