Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: How to apply for CHP in Lynchburg?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    4

    How to apply for CHP in Lynchburg?

    I'd like to apply for a CHP in Lynchburg and am a little unsure of the process. Here's what I've done so far:

    1. Taken an NRA safety course, so I have the certificate needed
    2. Filled out SP-248 (the form on the state police website)

    However, there are a few things I'm confused on.

    1. At the bottom of Form SP-248 there is a place for a "notary public" to sign. Do I have to take my application to a notary public and get their signature on my application before submitting it?
    2. The state police website says to mail the application to the circuit court clerk, but it doesn't say whether or not to include payment. Furthermore, I can't seem to find out what the filing fee is in Lynchburg. Should I include payment with my application? If so, how much should I write the check for?
    3. The SSN field on the application says "optional." Should I include it?

    This is my first time applying for a CHP, so I really appreciate your advice!

  2. #2
    Regular Member Liberty-or-Death's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    23235
    Posts
    422
    My understanding is this: 1) notarization is only required if mailing to circuit court and not filing in person, and 2) yes include payment (probably $50 but check with your clerk of court), and 3) a SASE is not required. And 3) take my word for it, the locality already has your SSN, so skip if you want to.

    μολών λαβέ
    Last edited by Liberty-or-Death; 05-07-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    Be active.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Good synopsis here:
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_...Concealed.shtm

    Presuming you are not otherwise restricted, you may open carry now - no permit required

    Expect that some locals will chime in shortly, maybe even invite you to meet up and have a bite to eat.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb View Post
    I'd like to apply for a CHP in Lynchburg and am a little unsure of the process. Here's what I've done so far:

    1. Taken an NRA safety course, so I have the certificate needed
    2. Filled out SP-248 (the form on the state police website)

    However, there are a few things I'm confused on.

    1. At the bottom of Form SP-248 there is a place for a "notary public" to sign. Do I have to take my application to a notary public and get their signature on my application before submitting it?
    2. The state police website says to mail the application to the circuit court clerk, but it doesn't say whether or not to include payment. Furthermore, I can't seem to find out what the filing fee is in Lynchburg. Should I include payment with my application? If so, how much should I write the check for?
    3. The SSN field on the application says "optional." Should I include it?

    This is my first time applying for a CHP, so I really appreciate your advice!
    1. Yes, you have to have the form notarized IF YOU MAIL IT IN. Don't sign it until you are sitting across from the Notary, he/she will want to see you sign the form. If you apply for your CHP in person at the Circuit Court, the application does not have to be notarized, the clerk will validate your signature.

    2. Yes, you have to include payment with the application, whether you mail it in or apply in person. The fee in Lynchburg is $50.00.

    3. Including your SSN is optional -- it's up to you.

    You might want to ask the clerk for a copy of your application showing the time/date stamp of when it was received by them (assuming you apply in person). The 45-day clock starts when they officially receive the application form and payment.

    If you have any other questions, call 434-856-2489 and ask to be transferred to the Circuit Court Clerk.
    Last edited by JamesCanby; 05-07-2014 at 04:14 PM.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    ....

    You might want to ask the clerk for a copy of your application showing the time/date stamp of when it was received by them (assuming you apply in person). The 45-day clock starts when they officially receive the application form and payment.

    If you have any other questions, call 434-856-2489 and ask to be transferred to the Circuit Court Clerk.
    The Clerk's Office is supposed to give you a receipt for your payment. Ask them to write on it "For CHP Application" if it is not automatically printed. Then have the person writing that on the receipt initial and date that written note.

    Staple your receipt to your copy of the CHP application that you asked the Clerk/Assistant Clerk to mark as TESTEE COPY. (You may need to pay a small fee for that - find out first.) Your time/date stamped copy should be enough if you have to go in and "discuss" getting your temporary permit, but a TESTEE COPY will reduce that discussion.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    If I remember correctly, User has said that you are entitled to a copy of anything you file with the Clerk of Court, inluding with time & date stamp.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    If I remember correctly, User has said that you are entitled to a copy of anything you file with the Clerk of Court, inluding with time & date stamp.
    Yes. But asking them to stamp your copy TESTEE COPY is just icing on the cake - and in my experience a no-cost poke in the eye with a sharp stick if they are trying to jerk you around.

    Basically it is the Clerk attesting that your copy is a true & complete copy of what they have - stops any argument that what you show the judge at your hearing (if you have to go that route) is not what the Clerk has. (Yes, bt/dt in a non-CHP issue. Clerk needed several minutes to wipe the egg off his face.)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201
    Howdy SuperNewb it looks like these guys have you squared away with the right information for obtaining a concealed handgun permit. Note that you only apply to the Lynchburg circuit court if you actually live in the city of Lynchburg, and not in one of the surrounding counties that also have "Lynchburg" as part of the postal address. This may not be a tripping point for you, but I figured it was worth noting from the start. I live in Campbell County, but have a Lynchburg address so that's where there may be confusion.

    If you apply in person, the Lynchburg Circuit Court Clerk's office is in the upper portion of the circuit court building that fronts Court Street. Approach the courthouse by the armed statue and go down the 1st flight of stairs and the clerk is (or was) on the right.

    I hope we can meet up some time. There are a fair number of open carriers here in Lynchburg, but some of us do find it handy to have a CHP for certain times too. I intend to set up another OC lunch here in the next few weeks, so please make sure to watch the board for it. I'll do my best to remember to send you a private message as well to ensure you're aware. Welcome to Lynchburg and hope you're already OCing!

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    I recommend writing "NOT DISCLOSED" on the SSN space.

    There are those, maybe not in Lynchburg, but there are those who will insist "things will go smoother" or "things will go faster" if it's included. Baloney. And if you write "NOT DISCLOSED" then no one can add it later; if they want to write notes, they can do so on their own scratch paper.

    Good luck!
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    .... Approach the courthouse by the armed statue ....

    ....
    There's a statue of an armed man in front of the courthouse? Oh the noes! The absolute horror! Has the Commonwealth Attorney come running in to tell the judge about it?*

    stay safe.

    * - inside joke. There were lots of folks who were there to see it happen. Just too bad videotaping inside the courthouse was not allowed.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  11. #11
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    In the SS# space, write 'Not disclosed, if any'.

    Do not let them pressure you into presenting your driver's license. The State does not require it. When questioned, they will call you names, throw your paperwork at you, but it's just because they don't like you knowing the law.

    You can bring another form of ID, like a passport.

  12. #12
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    In the SS# space, write 'Not disclosed, if any'.

    Do not let them pressure you into presenting your driver's license. The State does not require it. When questioned, they will call you names, throw your paperwork at you, but it's just because they don't like you knowing the law.

    You can bring another form of ID, like a passport.
    I should have commented earlier, but I did not, and now I must.

    The ID issue is this:

    No ID is required by state law for the application itself. The reason for this is evident if you think it through: The permit requires a government issued photo-ID to be valid in the field. Therefore, there is no need for the clerk or their designee to confirm that the person dropping off the application is the person who is applying.

    HOWEVER, there is a very important caveat: The application MUST be notarized. That is where the ID is required. A notary public is someone whose reliability has been established by the state to, among other things, certify that a signature on a piece of paper was made by the person who is claiming to be signing it. So, unless you are a personal friend of the notary you use, or the person at the clerk's office that you deliver the application to, it is proper and required for them to be assured that you are who you say you are, and that's going to require an ID of some sort.

    As noted by the quoted post, there is no requirement for any particular kind of ID, just that you establish your identity to the satisfaction of the notary public. Some jurisdictions have tried to require leaving a copy of your ID... that should not be required, as it serves no further purpose toward establishing your identity to the notary.

    TFred

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,619
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I should have commented earlier, but I did not, and now I must.

    The ID issue is this:

    No ID is required by state law for the application itself. The reason for this is evident if you think it through: The permit requires a government issued photo-ID to be valid in the field. Therefore, there is no need for the clerk or their designee to confirm that the person dropping off the application is the person who is applying.

    HOWEVER, there is a very important caveat: The application MUST be notarized. That is where the ID is required. A notary public is someone whose reliability has been established by the state to, among other things, certify that a signature on a piece of paper was made by the person who is claiming to be signing it. So, unless you are a personal friend of the notary you use, or the person at the clerk's office that you deliver the application to, it is proper and required for them to be assured that you are who you say you are, and that's going to require an ID of some sort.

    As noted by the quoted post, there is no requirement for any particular kind of ID, just that you establish your identity to the satisfaction of the notary public. Some jurisdictions have tried to require leaving a copy of your ID... that should not be required, as it serves no further purpose toward establishing your identity to the notary.

    TFred
    Great point TFred- spot on!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    636
    As jmelivin pointed the most important thing is to make sure you live in the City of Lynchburg and not one of the surrounding counties. Each have their own respective court house.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    4
    Thank you all for your advice, I have a much better idea of how to proceed now!

  16. #16
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694
    Good luck! Knowing how it's supposed to go helps prevent counties from playing games and asking applicants for things they don't have to provide.

    Give 'em an inch and they think they're your ruler.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    4
    Dropped off my application yesterday and it was totally painless. Probably took all of five minutes in and out. Unfortunately I forgot to take a copy of my safety class certificate, but I called this morning when I realized that and they said I could just fax it to them, which I did.

    They must get a lot of CHP applications, because both yesterday in-person and today on the phone they all seemed to know exactly what they were doing.

    Thanks again for all of your help!

  18. #18
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb View Post
    Dropped off my application yesterday and it was totally painless. Probably took all of five minutes in and out. Unfortunately I forgot to take a copy of my safety class certificate, but I called this morning when I realized that and they said I could just fax it to them, which I did.

    They must get a lot of CHP applications, because both yesterday in-person and today on the phone they all seemed to know exactly what they were doing.

    Thanks again for all of your help!
    You may now start your 45-day clock. You might want to reach ahead and circle -- amazingly appropriate -- Independence day, the 4th of July (if I counted correctly).
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    4
    I received my CHP in the mail today! It took a total of 22 days. Just thought I'd follow up for anyone wondering how long it takes in Lynchburg at this time.

    Now to laminate it...

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,201
    Glad to hear you got it! Where have you been open carrying around town?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •