• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School field trip. Carry or no carry?

self preservation

I am planning on going with my son on a class field trip tomorrow to the Newport aquarium as a chaperone. I will be driving my own vehicle but wondered if I CC if I would be violating 527.070? The law reads "in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field, or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution." The word "used" has me concerned because they will be using the aquarium as a school function.

davidmcbeth

Banned
They don't control the site, right? Then its not part of the school. I see no issue.

But its your butt on the line, not mine.

Primus

I am planning on going with my son on a class field trip tomorrow to the Newport aquarium as a chaperone. I will be driving my own vehicle but wondered if I CC if I would be violating 527.070? The law reads "in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field, or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution." The word "used" has me concerned because they will be using the aquarium as a school function.

It says "for the administration of any public or private educational institution".... so doesn't apply.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

willy1094

You wouldn't leave a building in any other situation just because a school group came in would you? I get how being a chaperone would cause you to second guess carrying though.

mellio

I would say not illegal. I sure wouldn't let anyone see it though. It would definitely cause a stir if anyone with the school found out. There would be someone trying to pass a rule or even legislation to stop it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Bernymac

I am thinking legal as well.

Disclaimer:
The words "I researched it on the internet" or more specifically "I read it on OCDO" is not a workable defense. :lol::shocker::D

mellio

I definitely know it's going on already but I bet if you ask most anyone if a chaperone on a school field trip is allowed to carry a gun they would say no. I think it's better for most people to not even have the opportunity to think about an issue like this and if his gun were noticed it very well could be brought to the publics attention. A news story such as this is much more likely to sway moderate thinking people to the left than bringing them to our side. I'm just suggesting that it would be better that no one see him carrying while on a field trip with children. I think most would agree with that.

davidmcbeth

Banned
What if a kid falls into the shark tank? I just watched the movie Jaws ... so its fresh in my mind.

(carry a air cylinder too)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So would you suggest he open carry with the school field trip?

I generally don't bother making suggestions regarding what people do with their freedoms. That's the whole point: they're his freedoms, not mine.

I certainly don't think he should not carry if that's what his heart and mind tell him to do. I fail to see what makes children any different than anybody else when it comes to the presence of firearms.

Last edited:

mellio

Alright everybody pile on. Lol. I think it's funny how most Internet forum "discussions" go. Maybe I'm not very good at translating my thoughts into forum post. He should absolutely do what he feels is right. When i say most people should not have the opportunity to think about the issue. I'm saying it would be better to leave the law as it is currently written which in my opinion says that the OP does have the right to carry while chaperoneing the trip. If it were discovered by the public that their is no law that says he can't do that I believe there may be quite a few people that would want to change that. Remember the only reason something is legal is because a law hasn't been passed to make it illegal. I'm saying he should do as he sees fit just don't promote it to the point it brings unwanted attention to a law that at the moment is on our side. I also think it would be extremely naieve, given the current political climate with school children and guns, to think that if this issue were brought to the eye of the news outlets that we (pro 2A people, yes I am one) would win the ensuing debate. I doubt this will clear anything up but I tried.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Fear of carrying around children is why children think it's abnormal to carry. Then they grow up. Then we have what we have.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Alright everybody pile on. Lol. I think it's funny how most Internet forum "discussions" go. Maybe I'm not very good at translating my thoughts into forum post. He should absolutely do what he feels is right. When i say most people should not have the opportunity to think about the issue. I'm saying it would be better to leave the law as it is currently written which in my opinion says that the OP does have the right to carry while chaperoneing the trip. If it were discovered by the public that their is no law that says he can't do that I believe there may be quite a few people that would want to change that. Remember the only reason something is legal is because a law hasn't been passed to make it illegal. I'm saying he should do as he sees fit just don't promote it to the point it brings unwanted attention to a law that at the moment is on our side. I also think it would be extremely naieve, given the current political climate with school children and guns, to think that if this issue were brought to the eye of the news outlets that we (pro 2A people, yes I am one) would win the ensuing debate. I doubt this will clear anything up but I tried.

I do see where you're coming from.

Really, though, this argument isn't any different from the general "OCing will get OCing banned" argument. After all, there will be children at the aquarium regardless of whether it's during a field trip. In fact, there can be expected to children (at least with some probability) nearly everywhere a person might choose to be armed. Heck, some might choose to be armed especially around kids they feel responsible for, kids being otherwise defenseless.

Most of this forum have had a lot of time and discussion to ponder this issue. Most of us have concluded that, on the balance, open carry can only serve to benefit open carry.

The very motto of this site, "A right unexercised is a right lost", was created as a continuing rebuttal to your argument.

Try not to feel too "piled on", though. Considering that most of the forum agrees with the above, it's not surprising that you encounter lots of disagreement. That doesn't mean your opinion is unwanted, or that we don't consider discussion of the matter important all the same.

Last edited:

Contrarian

School outing carry

I generally don't bother making suggestions regarding what people do with their freedoms. That's the whole point: they're his freedoms, not mine.

I certainly don't think he should not carry if that's what his heart and mind tell him to do. I fail to see what makes children any different than anybody else when it comes to the presence of firearms.

My thought on this would be what negative reaction might this have on the student ?
Lots of places allow open/concealed carry, but school boards and administrators can be vindictive.

mellio

I understand what your saying Gutshot and it's a good point. What's the use of having a right if you don't use it. It's just that this particular issue is one that I could see the media having a field day with.
Marshaul, you make a very good point as well. Maybe I worry too much about how the media and the left can run with an issue.
I do wonder why we haven't heard back from the Op. I wonder what he decided to do, and how it went.

self preservation

Bingo!! Primus has it right. Read it like this; "in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field, or any other property owned, used, ......for the administration of any public or private educational institution."

Good point. You wouldn't have to leave McDonalds or Walmart just because school children came in.

Oh really. Specifically, what railroading? In Ky.?

The one that comes to mind is the gentleman that just lost his job at Ashland oil. I know that we can claim that technically Ashland oil did not violate the law, but when you can so easily have the screws thrown to you such as this guy did, one must worry. In my case I could see some judge somewhere saying "this property was used by the school, and this trip was educational..so therefor the wording "educational institution" makes it illegal to carry a firearm."

I know that we can't live our lives in constant fear of a bad deal, but we also have to COA the best that we can. No, I wouldn't leave Walmart or McDonalds if I were carrying just because school children came in. I could be wrong, but if charged with a bogus "gun free school zone" charge, I may have a defense of "I couldn't control the situation." As a chaperon I could see an over zealous prosecutor and anti-gun judge hanging me with my good intentions.