Thread: Net Neutrality's Death Could Spark Populist Revolt With echoes of the Gilded Age,

Net Neutrality's Death Could Spark Populist Revolt With echoes of the Gilded Age,

With echoes of the Gilded Age, Washington coddles moneyed, monopolistic internet barons.

"In our times, wrenching economic and technological change hardens life for the vast majority of Americans while an elite few prosper. Innovators like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg disrupt old industries, create news ones and . We know how the Gilded Age ended in a populist uprising against monopolies, sparked by muckraking journalists and harnessed by a trust-busting president named Teddy Roosevelt. Who will be our era's T.R.? Well, a leader needs a cause. A better question might be, what will be the modern-day trust a force so destructive and distant and deeply engrained that a sleepy public is stirred to revolt? If history is a guide, our generation's Standard Oil, the populists' boogeyman, may be Comcast, Verizon and/or AT&T the sprawling internet providers who, like Rockefeller and his railroad co-conspirators, could monopolize the price and quality of indispensable goods. Yes, net neutrality could be the issue that inspires a Tech Age political revolution

First, some background from Michael Hiltzik of the Los Angeles Times. [ ... ]"

http://www.nationaljournal.com/tech/...evolt-20140506
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Internet providers are even more insidious than the old oil barons and railroad tycoons, in my opinion. These guys generally deal in artificial scarcity. They are more akin to the old Ma Bell system.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    Internet providers are even more insidious than the old oil barons and railroad tycoons, in my opinion. These guys generally deal in artificial scarcity. They are more akin to the old Ma Bell system.
    I agree ... but "net neutrality" is anything but ....

You knoooow when the gov't wants to regulate its gonna be to their benefit only, not to any citizen.