Thread: just realized people carrying guns DOES increase chances of wild west shootout, IF...

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar

just realized people carrying guns DOES increase chances of wild west shootout, IF...

... The people carrying wear badges.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/wtf...ns-wounding-2/

I know this isn't cop watch - THIS is the point of posting this - compare stats or incidents between cop and lac shootings and see which is more likely to desintegrate (?) into a 'wild west' type shootout. I'm betting we'll find that its much more likely for the police to engage in wild west type gun shooting than lacs
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 05-08-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Advocate freedom please

While you are correct, it would be a tough sell to make. The first thing that would be thrown back, is that police tend to deal directly with people who have violent tendencies, on a far more regular basis than the average armed citizen. Second, armed citizens have the option of turning a blind eye to bad things as they occur; the police generally do not have such a luxury (unless of course, it's one of their own up to the shenanigans, but that's for another forum).

On the other hand, police generally have far less fear of legal reprisal when it comes to letting the bullets fly, than does the average citizen. Accidentally kill an innocent by-stander while defending yourself, and you're in for a bad time. If an LEO does it, the odds are about 50/50 that he'll suffer very little direct consequence.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

You are absolutely right. Anyone who is less likely to be held accountable, and lacks the conscious to counter indifference, is less likely to consider the consequences of their actions and adjust accordingly. Not just cops, but some make a pretty good example of this
    Advocate freedom please

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Wild west was more civilized than the "civilized" east.

Its a good point though. It's not just the police for the reasons you mentioned above. Look at groups like Blackwater operating over seas.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Words worth remembering
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Its a good point though. It's not just the police for the reasons you mentioned above. Look at groups like Blackwater operating over seas.
    I was actually just refreshing myself on that earlier today. For anyone interested in a breakdown of it here's a link about the "Wild West" and they do mention the "civilized" east of the time.

http://www.guncite.com/wild_west_myth.html

Yes, that's why I put 'wild west' in quotes

I just mean, what people fear will happen, with the bullets flying everywhere and all, that they usually refer to as a wild west type scenario, is more likely to become reality when a group a government agents get pissed off than when a LAC has to defend him or herself.

Just thinking back... I can recall 2 fairly recent incidents off the top of my head in which a cop was killed, and the retaliation of the police force put many innocent lives (not to mention private property) in danger. It's like, a cop got killed and the entire police force went out for blood, slinging bullets at every shadow of the suspect. :O

I just found it interesting because usually when someone goes down the wild west shootout trail, law abiding citizen carriers find themselves trying to defend, saying that would never happen, when the reality is that it'll probably never happen by them, but it could very well happen if someone kills a police officer.
    Advocate freedom please

So is Miami part of the 'wild west'?
    Article from Drudge says 23 cops fired 377 rounds at this car......article quotes one guy talking about the 'wild wild west'
    Maybe for Miami you have a different average level of '# of rounds fired' due to the drug cartel murders where they shoot up the bodies....

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/05/06...ises-concerns/
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    Our RKBA has only partially to do with saving lives .. its main goal is to save our freedoms

Freedom ain't free. I just tell the antis to suck it up and take a bullet for me.

I'm pretty sure the OP's shootout was more "wild" than just about anything which happened anywhere in the East OR West until at least the advent of Prohibition Part I.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Thread drift was inevitable I guess, but not acceptable.

Going to close this down before it gets worse.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.