Thread: Sturgeon Bay Municipal Code § 10.02 Carrying concealed weapons prohibited.

Sturgeon Bay Municipal Code § 10.02 Carrying concealed weapons prohibited.

10.02 Carrying concealed weapons prohibited.

No person, except a peace officer, shall carry concealed on his/her person any Bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, switchblade knife or other dangerous weapon.

(Code 1992, § 10.02)
    https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=12538
    https://library.municode.com/HTML/12..._CH10ORCO.html

Wisc. Stats. §66.0409  Local regulation of firearms.
    [ ... ]
    (2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-09-2014 at 04:24 AM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

What is the state definition of "dangerous weapon?"
    If a firearm isn't defined as such, then they are only addressing knives, dirks, daggers and similar.

EDIT:
    939.22(10)
    (10) "Dangerous weapon" means any firearm, whether loaded or unloaded; any device designed as a weapon and capable of producing death or great bodily harm; any ligature or other instrumentality used on the throat, neck, nose, or mouth of another person to impede, partially or completely, breathing or circulation of blood; any electric weapon, as defined in s. 941.295 (4); or any other device or instrumentality which, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.

It would appear that they are unable to regulate firearms, but still have authority to prohibit sharp objects.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 05-09-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    [ ... ] It would appear that they are unable to regulate firearms, but still have authority to prohibit sharp objects.
    Stipulating §66.0409, how are they unable to regulate firearms? There is no office charged with enforcing the peoples' law against the sovereign-tyrant (however puissant the pissant). We may beat the rap but we cannot beat the ride.

10.02 Carrying concealed weapons prohibited.

No person, except a peace officer, shall carry concealed on his/her person any Bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, switchblade knife or other dangerous weapon.

Regardless of this ordinance, state law makes no exception to peace officers in regard to possessing a switchblade.

And what a stupid throw back to the 1950's and West Side Story that dumb law is.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
    10.02 Carrying concealed weapons prohibited.No person, except a peace officer, shall carry concealed on his/her person any Bowie knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, switchblade knife or other dangerous weapon. ¶ Regardless of this ordinance, state law makes no exception to peace officers in regard to possessing a switchblade. ¶ And what a stupid throw back to the 1950's and West Side Story that dumb law is.
    941.24 Possession of switchblade knife. (1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
    LOL By this definition, "opens ... by a ... movement" my TL-29 is a "switchblade." It is forty-five years in my possession, the pivot has been lapped and lubricated many times and the soft blade sharpened to misshapen. But it drops open and locked.

My EDC Carson Design CRKT M16-01Z even more so.