Thread: Holster features

Holster features

What minimum features do you think a holster that will be used for OC should, in your opinion, have. I am not looking for brands just features. For example, snap tie down. level 2 or 3 retention. I have a Safariland SLS that is very good for retention, but could it be overkill? What holster retention device do you suggest at the minimum?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    What minimum features do you think a holster that will be used for OC should, in your opinion, have. I am not looking for brands just features. For example, snap tie down. level 2 or 3 retention. I have a Safariland SLS that is very good for retention, but could it be overkill? What holster retention device do you suggest at the minimum?
    In my opinion, an OC holster should have -- at a minimum -- Level II capability. My OWB holsters all have a thumb-break strap. I might prefer a Serpa, but my EDC is a Sig P239 and many holster manufacturers do not make a holster for that firearm.
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    In my opinion, an OC holster should have -- at a minimum -- Level II capability. My OWB holsters all have a thumb-break strap. I might prefer a Serpa, but my EDC is a Sig P239 and many holster manufacturers do not make a holster for that firearm.
    +1

Retention. Serpa is great if they make it for your gun. Also a good place to carry spare mag if your model has it.

Personally think it covers just as much retention but is a lot easier to manipulate then snaps/thumb breaks/cants.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Interestingly, after carrying for multiple years, the requirements are different that one might initially suspect.

1. The holster is quiet, no Velcro, no Kydex to make a noise or scratch the firearm;
    2. Polycarbonate won't scratch the firearm, and affords a very good retention factor;
    3. Ease of installation on your belt, ease of removal. Nothing more maddening than struggling with your holster at bedtime or going to the bathroom;
    4. Handles bodily moisture and sweat well;
    5. No poking or digging into the body, snagging on clothes.

I've found all of those in the N82 professional holster (limited models, though). It really makes holster use 'transparent'.

FWIW

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick9 View Post
    Interestingly, after carrying for multiple years, the requirements are different that one might initially suspect.

1. The holster is quiet, no Velcro, no Kydex to make a noise or scratch the firearm;
    2. Polycarbonate won't scratch the firearm, and affords a very good retention factor;
    3. Ease of installation on your belt, ease of removal. Nothing more maddening than struggling with your holster at bedtime or going to the bathroom;
    4. Handles bodily moisture and sweat well;
    5. No poking or digging into the body, snagging on clothes.

I've found all of those in the N82 professional holster (limited models, though). It really makes holster use 'transparent'.

FWIW
    So far as I saw from various links, the N82 Professional is an IWB holster, often characterized for concealed carry. Do you know if they make an OWB holster for OC?
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    So far as I saw from various links, the N82 Professional is an IWB holster, often characterized for concealed carry. Do you know if they make an OWB holster for OC?
    Their website indicates that no, they do not make any real holsters.