• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen dog, $100 gone, 2 LVMPD Detectives. All while OCing

njkennelly

So, I purchased a dog that someone had posted on facebook yesterday. We met, negotiated, and made the deal. I then went to Pet Smart and spent $300 on dog stuff. Got home gave the do a bath and started to assemble the crate we had just bought.

This is where things get interesting...

My phone rang. A LVMPD Detective was calling to to inform me that the dog I purchased 2 hours earlier was stolen the night before as part of a violent crime against a 9 yr old girl. He asked If I would meet them to return the dog? I met the Detectives at the NW Area Command Police Station on Cheyenne to return the dog. I verified their credentials, and made the exchange.

Here's the OC part:

I met two Metro Detectives in the parking lot of a Police Station while Open Carrying my light bearing Sig 1911 in a homemade custom kydex holster. I know they observed my open carry as I was strong side to them as they approached and they both made eye contact with Mr Sauer.

I was a tad bit nervous, because in 10 years of carrying this would be my first encounter with "The Man". But I sucked it up acted like I belong, as I do everyday, and they shook my hand without disarming me or putting a knee in my back. Thank you to everyone for the years of hard work with LVMPD.

Overall the day turned out fine, except that I'm out $100. If you're interested in reading the full dog story with a plethora of comments you may do so here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/the...606257524979/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment

The post is currently still near the top of the page, started by me, Noah J Kennelly

garand_guy

It's sad, but you had no issues with the police and the kid got their dog back. I hope you got a refund for your dog supplies.

28kfps

Interesting story. Glad the girl got her dog back. Hope your info helps them find the jerks. 5 or so years back when many were getting together to public open carry and posting there was many pro gun nay-sayers. Many of the comments were very negative from many pro gun persons saying the OCing movement was only aggravating the law enforcement and end up making it more difficult for all. The mission was to educate LEOs, the public and gun owners on the open carry laws and make open carry more accepted. This is a great indication that it is working.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Small Claims Court for your time, gas, travel, etc for the trouble you've experienced in this purchase of the HOT dog against those that sold you the HOT dog?

Sue for $100 ? OK, I guess....if ya got that time to waste for a hundred bucks.

Pet Smart just buys dogs off the street apparently. Some dude selling them out of his van. "Hey, hey...gotta, gotta dog for sale, cheap." Guy in a van. lol

And what kinda dog was it? All my dogs would have fought to the death if someone was being violent with me or with just a command would have attacked the guy.

Oh well, all turned out OK - for the dog, and that's all that matters. A ruff situation.

turborich

Sorry to hear about your experience with the stolen dog. Who would steal a dog from a little girl and then sell it on FB? Insane.

I have picked up two dogs over the years on Craigslist. One about 6 years ago and he has become my best little buddy, just an excellent eager to please dog. I just picked another pooch up last week as well. Once again just an awesome dog. Both were potty trained, fixed and just great! Best part is they were both free. I've paid money for dogs from the animal shelter and to be honest those dogs destroyed my home! The free ones have been great!

Good luck to you, hope you find a great doggy and those criminals are caught and end up with sore rear ends while in jail! :eek:

njkennelly

And what kinda dog was it? All my dogs would have fought to the death if someone was being violent with me or with just a command would have attacked the guy.

It was a German Shepherd Puppy. Just a couple months old. Not trained as a protection dog yet.

turborich

702 Las Vegas Buy Sell & Swap. I got screwed over on there. I deleted that garbage from my FB groups. A lot of flaky people on there.

A few months ago a member on the NVshooters forum had a spotting scope stolen out of his car. I saw it for sale on 702 Las Vegas Buy Sell & Swap, I gave him the guys info but not sure if anything was ever done about it.

jfrey123

Kudos for doing the right thing on the stolen dog, sucks that sort of thing even happens. But great to hear the positive interaction with the officers involved.