Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: New to open carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    10

    New to open carry

    Hello all I'm new to open carry haven't really tried it yet but my dad got me a Blackhawk serpa holster for my birthday for my pistol, its a Taurus 247 OSS tacticle 9 mm like I said I haven't open carried yet still trying to convince my wife of the safety importance and all. I'm from owensboro kentucky and saw one guy tonight at the bbq festival open carrying had a green pistol at the 3 oclock position and it made my wife feel a lot better about it that their are in fact "others" I'm hoping to learn about and try out this life saving habit any first timer tips or anything?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
    Hello all I'm new to open carry haven't really tried it yet but my dad got me a Blackhawk serpa holster for my birthday for my pistol, its a Taurus 247 OSS tacticle 9 mm like I said I haven't open carried yet still trying to convince my wife of the safety importance and all. I'm from owensboro kentucky and saw one guy tonight at the bbq festival open carrying had a green pistol at the 3 oclock position and it made my wife feel a lot better about it that their are in fact "others" I'm hoping to learn about and try out this life saving habit any first timer tips or anything?
    Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona jwhayne0001!

    Glad to hear you'll be starting to OC soon. Here's my list of tips (not a comprehensive list by any means):

    0) Practice the four rules of firearm safety.

    1) Know the laws regarding OC (and carry in general) in your area. These days, it seems the greatest threat to OCers may come from law intended to entrap armed Law-Abiding Citizens (LACs) by having intentionally ambiguous wording; a second threat is from law enforcement after an anti-Freedom individual calls the cops because they don't like to see you taking responsibility for your own safety.

    2) Carry a good recorder, be it A/V or just voice, it can prove invaluable if an anti decides to lie to get you into trouble (for reasons explained above). Make sure that recorder is on whenever you carry. It does you no good if it is off when you need it most. Also, check the laws in your area regarding recording.

    3) Act casual and at ease. Your sidearm is nothing more than a tool on your person, just like a cell phone or multi-tool. Don't draw attention to it or put your hand on the grip (you can use your elbow or forearm to "feel" for it if you want to) so that people see you aren't a threat to them. A calm demeanor goes a long way.

    4) If you want to see how others carry, organize an OC lunch/dinner to meet other Freedom-loving, armed LACs in your area. This will also help ease you into carrying, and you get good conversation and food out of it.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 05-10-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added #4
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the reply from what I understand kentucky is pretty lax on open carry my wife's cousin is a PO and I've asked him several questions as far as their views on OC he said they feel pretty good about OC persons and that they rarely have issues with them if any at all I'm expecting weird looks and stares from the general public I just feel I need to exercise my 2nd as well as protect myself and those around me.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona jwhayne0001!

    Glad to hear you'll be starting to OC soon. Here's my list of tips (not a comprehensive list by any means):

    0) Practice the four rules of firearm safety.

    1) Know the laws regarding OC (and carry in general) in your area. These days, it seems the greatest threat to OCers may come from law intended to entrap armed Law-Abiding Citizens (LACs) by having intentionally ambiguous wording; a second threat is from law enforcement after an anti-Freedom individual calls the cops because they don't like to see you taking responsibility for your own safety.

    2) Carry a good recorder, be it A/V or just voice, it can prove invaluable if an anti decides to lie to get you into trouble (for reasons explained above). Make sure that recorder is on whenever you carry. It does you no good if it is off when you need it most. Also, check the laws in your area regarding recording.

    3) Act casual and at ease. Your sidearm is nothing more than a tool on your person, just like a cell phone or multi-tool. Don't draw attention to it or put your hand on the grip (you can use your elbow or forearm to "feel" for it if you want to) so that people see you aren't a threat to them. A calm demeanor goes a long way.

    4) If you want to see how others carry, organize an OC lunch/dinner to meet other Freedom-loving, armed LACs in your area.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Chief Ten Beers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    129
    Hey there jwhayne0001, I'm also in Kentucky, about 7 miles west of the LBL. I hardly ever see any one open carry around here, but that won't stop me. I like to carry a .45 SAA, 7 1/2 inch barrel in a Buscadero holster, but for being practical, I'll carry either a .45 ACP or a .380 ACP on my pants belt.
    Last edited by Chief Ten Beers; 05-11-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

    Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Ten Beers View Post
    Hey there jwhayne0001, I'm also in Kentucky, about 7 miles west of the LBL. I hardly ever see any one open carry around here, but that won't stop me. I like to carry a .45 SAA, 7 1/2 inch barrel in a Buscadero holster, but for being practical, I'll carry either a .45 ACP or a .380 ACP on my pants belt.
    Walking around my house and all I've quickly found my large frame taurus 247 OSS is too heavy/large for comfortable carry as of now I'm thinking I need a smaller taurus pt140? I'm partial to taurus but would try a glock or any others for open carry along the size of a pt140 any suggestions? I even tried my OSS with a half filled mag still a bit heavy for me.maybe I need to get a heavier belt or just more practice and getting used to it

  6. #6
    Regular Member MontanaResident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
    maybe I need to get a heavier belt or just more practice and getting used to it
    I carry a 1911 or a 44Mag. A heavier belt makes a big difference. Once you get it right, and your gun isn't pulling down your pants, you'll forget its there.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
    ....<snip> still trying to convince my wife of the safety importance and all.
    Here we go again !

    Welcome to the board ... good luck.

  8. #8
    Regular Member HPmatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Here we go again !

    Welcome to the board ... good luck.
    No - not on mother's day. And surely not in KY. And never (for the time being) in TX.
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

  9. #9
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
    still trying to convince my wife of the safety importance and all.
    A few years ago my wife bought me a Glock 23. I OC'd it a few days (before I had even heard of OCDO) then I sat it on the dresser. She yelled at me and said that she didn't spend $500.00 on my gun for it to sit on the dresser. So now when I see comments about "trying to convince the wife" they seem odd to me because my wife made it mandatory that I carry.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    A few years ago my wife bought me a Glock 23. I OC'd it a few days (before I had even heard of OCDO) then I sat it on the dresser. She yelled at me and said that she didn't spend $500.00 on my gun for it to sit on the dresser. So now when I see comments about "trying to convince the wife" they seem odd to me because my wife made it mandatory that I carry.
    Lt's please not getting into bragging about the spousal unit.
    We get it, some of you lucky (bastards) guys have someone who not only tolerates but SUPPORTS/practices OC.

    OT: jwhayne0001, have you gotten a recorder of some sort (and checked recording laws in your area)?
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 05-12-2014 at 03:55 PM.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

  11. #11
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Lt's please not getting into bragging about the spousal unit.
    We get it, some of you lucky (bastards) guys have someone who not only tolerates but SUPPORTS/practices OC.

    OT: jwhayne0001, have you gotten a recorder of some sort (and checked recording laws in your area)?
    If you got it, flaunt it. In KY. it is 1 party consent on recording. So as long as he is part of the conversation then he is legal.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Sir Diealotz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Ky
    Posts
    253
    Welcome to OCDO neighbor. I open and conceal carry a Beretta 92FS, depending on weather and attire. In most cases, 99% of people don't even notice or acknowledge anyone open carrying.
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

    Thomas Paine

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    Get a real gun belt.

    http://www.thebeltman.net/

  14. #14
    Regular Member KySIGGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    49
    Welcome. Enjoy.
    “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.”
    - Hunter S. Thompson


    "The strength of the Constitution, lies in the will of the people to defend it."
    - Thomas Edison.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Chief Ten Beers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhayne0001 View Post
    Walking around my house and all I've quickly found my large frame taurus 247 OSS is too heavy/large for comfortable carry as of now I'm thinking I need a smaller taurus pt140? I'm partial to taurus but would try a glock or any others for open carry along the size of a pt140 any suggestions? I even tried my OSS with a half filled mag still a bit heavy for me.maybe I need to get a heavier belt or just more practice and getting used to it
    I do the same thing, walk around the house , mow the lawn, do outside chores, and whatever needs done, with a gun on, either my hip, or on my belt, just to see which is the most comfortable and more practical to carry, and I've found that my Llama .380 fits that bill. But, I'll usually carry my Hi-Point .45 ACP. Either of my .45 SAA's in a Buscadero holster looks cool and feels good, but it also sticks out like a sore thumb. But sometimes, I don't let that bother me.
    If you're not ashamed to own it, don't be ashamed to open carry it.

    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

    Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •