• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to open carry

jwhayne0001

Hello all I'm new to open carry haven't really tried it yet but my dad got me a Blackhawk serpa holster for my birthday for my pistol, its a Taurus 247 OSS tacticle 9 mm like I said I haven't open carried yet still trying to convince my wife of the safety importance and all. I'm from owensboro kentucky and saw one guy tonight at the bbq festival open carrying had a green pistol at the 3 oclock position and it made my wife feel a lot better about it that their are in fact "others" I'm hoping to learn about and try out this life saving habit any first timer tips or anything?

Rusty Young Man

Hello all I'm new to open carry haven't really tried it yet but my dad got me a Blackhawk serpa holster for my birthday for my pistol, its a Taurus 247 OSS tacticle 9 mm like I said I haven't open carried yet still trying to convince my wife of the safety importance and all. I'm from owensboro kentucky and saw one guy tonight at the bbq festival open carrying had a green pistol at the 3 oclock position and it made my wife feel a lot better about it that their are in fact "others" I'm hoping to learn about and try out this life saving habit any first timer tips or anything?

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona jwhayne0001!:)

Glad to hear you'll be starting to OC soon. Here's my list of tips (not a comprehensive list by any means):

0) Practice the four rules of firearm safety.

1) Know the laws regarding OC (and carry in general) in your area. These days, it seems the greatest threat to OCers may come from law intended to entrap armed Law-Abiding Citizens (LACs) by having intentionally ambiguous wording; a second threat is from law enforcement after an anti-Freedom individual calls the cops because they don't like to see you taking responsibility for your own safety.

2) Carry a good recorder, be it A/V or just voice, it can prove invaluable if an anti decides to lie to get you into trouble (for reasons explained above). Make sure that recorder is on whenever you carry. It does you no good if it is off when you need it most. Also, check the laws in your area regarding recording.

3) Act casual and at ease. Your sidearm is nothing more than a tool on your person, just like a cell phone or multi-tool. Don't draw attention to it or put your hand on the grip (you can use your elbow or forearm to "feel" for it if you want to) so that people see you aren't a threat to them. A calm demeanor goes a long way.

4) If you want to see how others carry, organize an OC lunch/dinner to meet other Freedom-loving, armed LACs in your area. This will also help ease you into carrying, and you get good conversation and food out of it. :cool:

Last edited:

jwhayne0001

Thanks for the reply from what I understand kentucky is pretty lax on open carry my wife's cousin is a PO and I've asked him several questions as far as their views on OC he said they feel pretty good about OC persons and that they rarely have issues with them if any at all I'm expecting weird looks and stares from the general public I just feel I need to exercise my 2nd as well as protect myself and those around me.

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona jwhayne0001!:)

Glad to hear you'll be starting to OC soon. Here's my list of tips (not a comprehensive list by any means):

0) Practice the four rules of firearm safety.

1) Know the laws regarding OC (and carry in general) in your area. These days, it seems the greatest threat to OCers may come from law intended to entrap armed Law-Abiding Citizens (LACs) by having intentionally ambiguous wording; a second threat is from law enforcement after an anti-Freedom individual calls the cops because they don't like to see you taking responsibility for your own safety.

2) Carry a good recorder, be it A/V or just voice, it can prove invaluable if an anti decides to lie to get you into trouble (for reasons explained above). Make sure that recorder is on whenever you carry. It does you no good if it is off when you need it most. Also, check the laws in your area regarding recording.

3) Act casual and at ease. Your sidearm is nothing more than a tool on your person, just like a cell phone or multi-tool. Don't draw attention to it or put your hand on the grip (you can use your elbow or forearm to "feel" for it if you want to) so that people see you aren't a threat to them. A calm demeanor goes a long way.

4) If you want to see how others carry, organize an OC lunch/dinner to meet other Freedom-loving, armed LACs in your area.:cool:

Chief Ten Beers

Hey there jwhayne0001, I'm also in Kentucky, about 7 miles west of the LBL. I hardly ever see any one open carry around here, but that won't stop me. I like to carry a .45 SAA, 7 1/2 inch barrel in a Buscadero holster, but for being practical, I'll carry either a .45 ACP or a .380 ACP on my pants belt.

Last edited:

jwhayne0001

Hey there jwhayne0001, I'm also in Kentucky, about 7 miles west of the LBL. I hardly ever see any one open carry around here, but that won't stop me. I like to carry a .45 SAA, 7 1/2 inch barrel in a Buscadero holster, but for being practical, I'll carry either a .45 ACP or a .380 ACP on my pants belt.

Walking around my house and all I've quickly found my large frame taurus 247 OSS is too heavy/large for comfortable carry as of now I'm thinking I need a smaller taurus pt140? I'm partial to taurus but would try a glock or any others for open carry along the size of a pt140 any suggestions? I even tried my OSS with a half filled mag still a bit heavy for me.maybe I need to get a heavier belt or just more practice and getting used to it

self preservation

still trying to convince my wife of the safety importance and all.

A few years ago my wife bought me a Glock 23. I OC'd it a few days (before I had even heard of OCDO) then I sat it on the dresser. She yelled at me and said that she didn't spend $500.00 on my gun for it to sit on the dresser. So now when I see comments about "trying to convince the wife" they seem odd to me because my wife made it mandatory that I carry. :lol:

Rusty Young Man

A few years ago my wife bought me a Glock 23. I OC'd it a few days (before I had even heard of OCDO) then I sat it on the dresser. She yelled at me and said that she didn't spend $500.00 on my gun for it to sit on the dresser. So now when I see comments about "trying to convince the wife" they seem odd to me because my wife made it mandatory that I carry. :lol:

Lt's please not getting into bragging about the spousal unit.;)
We get it, some of you lucky (bastards:p) guys have someone who not only tolerates but SUPPORTS/practices OC.

OT: jwhayne0001, have you gotten a recorder of some sort (and checked recording laws in your area)?

Last edited:

self preservation

Lt's please not getting into bragging about the spousal unit.;)
We get it, some of you lucky (bastards:p) guys have someone who not only tolerates but SUPPORTS/practices OC.

OT: jwhayne0001, have you gotten a recorder of some sort (and checked recording laws in your area)?

If you got it, flaunt it. :lol::lol::lol: In KY. it is 1 party consent on recording. So as long as he is part of the conversation then he is legal.

Sir Diealotz

Welcome to OCDO neighbor. I open and conceal carry a Beretta 92FS, depending on weather and attire. In most cases, 99% of people don't even notice or acknowledge anyone open carrying.

Chief Ten Beers

Walking around my house and all I've quickly found my large frame taurus 247 OSS is too heavy/large for comfortable carry as of now I'm thinking I need a smaller taurus pt140? I'm partial to taurus but would try a glock or any others for open carry along the size of a pt140 any suggestions? I even tried my OSS with a half filled mag still a bit heavy for me.maybe I need to get a heavier belt or just more practice and getting used to it

I do the same thing, walk around the house , mow the lawn, do outside chores, and whatever needs done, with a gun on, either my hip, or on my belt, just to see which is the most comfortable and more practical to carry, and I've found that my Llama .380 fits that bill. :banana: But, :uhoh: I'll usually carry my Hi-Point .45 ACP. :monkey Either of my .45 SAA's in a Buscadero holster looks cool and feels good, but it also sticks out like a sore thumb. :eek: But sometimes, I don't let that bother me. :dude: