• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Linwood Cobb Ousted - 7th District

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The message was sent loud and clear, no more business as usual. The party boss is no more in Eric Cantor's home district!

The big story is that Rep. Eric Cantor’s right hand man in his district, who served as that district’s GOP chairman, was ousted today at the 7th District GOP Convention by an insurgent coalition of those disaffected by the chairman’s and Cantor’s grip on local politics.

Today’s shocker was much less a victory for the insurgent candidate, Fred Gruber, than it was a defeat for Cobb, Allen, and Cantor. Gruber is, after a fashion, the dog that caught the car.

http://thebullelephant.com/seismic-shift-7th-cobbs-ouster-mean-gop/

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do you here that sound Eric? Its the voice of the people.

Hey Cantor.... you're next! :banana:
Maybe now we can get his attention, get him to listen to the voice of the people - listen to the rumble and roar.

How much you do want to bet that the next public venue will not be held at the Innsbrook Snag-A-Job pavilion, but at a location more accepting of those freedom loving people who believe in the Bill of Rights as it was intended.
:monkey

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Maybe now we can get his attention, get him to listen to the voice of the people - listen to the rumble and roar.

How much you do want to bet that the next public venue will not be held at the Innsbrook Snag-A-Job pavilion, but at a location more accepting of those freedom loving people who believe in the Bill of Rights as it was intended.
:monkey

Sadly, I'll take that bet.

Cobb was not the only moving force behind the selection of the venue. He was just the schmoozer to the folks with the money.

The point is now going to have to be driven home that the "little people" have not been happy for quite a while but are now making that known. That means the little people need to connect with Gruber and let him know that there can be support beyond the borders of the 7th district.

stay safe.

Blk97F150

From the article Fred linked to:

Any illusions that the convention was going his way were quickly dissolved as Cantor was loudly booed by Tea Party activists and others supporting Dave Brat and Fred Gruber. Chants of “Liar” and “Debate” were heard through the large convention room.

Cantor was visibly flustered and very visibly angered at the reception he received. Immediately after his speech, he left.

Does anybody know if there is video of Cantors speech available?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From the article Fred linked to:

Any illusions that the convention was going his way were quickly dissolved as Cantor was loudly booed by Tea Party activists and others supporting Dave Brat and Fred Gruber. Chants of “Liar” and “Debate” were heard through the large convention room.

Cantor was visibly flustered and very visibly angered at the reception he received. Immediately after his speech, he left.
Does anybody know if there is video of Cantors speech available?
That would be a sight to behold.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Rep. Cantor is here, and is working the crowd. He is trailed by his security detail, but also by Henrico Sheriifs. These very surly deputies are visibly and unjustly suppressing speech around the Congressman. Case in point, the delegate pictured below, Paul Shaner from Louisa, was told he could not peacefully hold up his sign.
censorship1.jpg

I guess it’s OK to hold it down…just not up. The police warned me not to take a picture. Real nice.
http://thebullelephant.com/live-coverage-7th-district-convention/

I'm really sorry that I missed this party. Not only does Cantor disrespect the 2A, but the 1A also :uhoh:

Blk97F150

Another interesting article about Cantor:

Fact check: Eric Cantor mislabels primary opponent

An ad from House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., falsely implies his Republican challenger advised Democratic governor Tim Kaine on taxes.

Cantor brands Tea Party-backed Dave Brat a "liberal college professor" because he served on the Governor's Advisory Board of Economists "while Kaine tried to raise our taxes." But the board provided professional economic forecasts, not advice on tax policy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/05/06/fact-check-eric-cantor-dave-brat/8758735/

Repeater

Look how they treated Floyd Bayne

The Cantor/Cobb axis misused the credentialing rules to disqualify Bayne, for being disloyal:

A Good Day After All
A couple of months ago I signed up to be a delegate to the Republican Party's 7th District Convention, held today at the Hilton Hotel in Short Pump. I was going there to support my friend, Fred Gruber, to be the new chairman for the district. I submitted my application through a friend in Chesterfield, who was serving as a volunteer for Gruber. I did this rather than submit it directly through the Chesterfield County Republican Committee, because he and I both knew that were I to do that it would get....."lost." Well, the county mass meeting came along and my application was accepted. However, between the submission date and a few weeks ago, the committee's board, led by one Donald Williams (No fan of mine) decided that this just could not stand.

I was not and never had been a member of the Republican Party, therefore Williams' contention that my vote for a Libertarian was my second, and unforgivable offense, does not stand up, but again, why let facts get in the way.

Williams continued to state that my application for membership was rejected by the CCRC and then said that I had had nothing to do with the Republican Party until today, seeking to be a delegate. I immediately inserted myself into the conversation and related how Williams and the board of the CCRC had set me up to be rejected (more on that at another time). I also looked right at Williams and then the committee chair and said, "Uh, excuse me, anyone remember 2012? I ran in the Republican primary and spoke at the convention in this very building. Linwood Cobb was the one who approved my petitions that put me on the ballot. You can't run in a Republican primary if you're not a Republican. Donald, you need to get your facts straight" Well, my words were wasted, as the committee decided that I did not deserve to be a delegate. I cannot say that I was surprised. I fully expected this kind of shenanigans, as the party in recent years has shown it is all too willing to play this game. I left the room and was speaking to a couple of people outside the door when Williams exited and approached me. He had the kind of grin on his face that one has when they know they have gotten away with something. He extended his hand and said, "Sorry, Floyd, it's just the rules." I refused to shake his hand and looked disdainfully at him and said, "No, it's just more game-playing, Donald. Just stop the games. Do the right thing and stop acting like a Democrat." he left.

Bill Bolling had a pissy-fit, declaring "extremists" are taking over the party. I will not quote him; he doesn't deserve it.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
The Cantor/Cobb axis misused the credentialing rules to disqualify Bayne, for being disloyal:

A Good Day After All

Bill Bolling had a pissy-fit, declaring "extremists" are taking over the party. I will not quote him; he doesn't deserve it.

He's absolutely right, extremists ARE taking over the party. Unfortunately, he's also too stupid to realize he's one of the extremists...

Roscoe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
And the beat goes on

So the results yesterday with Gruber defeating Cobb 52% to 48% show that people are on to Eric Cantor. And they are fed up with him. But more than that, it proved that Eric Cantor is vulnerable. Despite his massive piles of money that comes from power, the grassroots have become angry. Angry at being used and abused. And yesterday shows that the voters are ready to replace Eric Cantor.

And it also shows that money isn’t everything.

http://www.varight.com/news/the-sig...bers-victory-in-the-brat-cantor-primary-race/

Repeater

So the results yesterday with Gruber defeating Cobb 52% to 48% show that people are on to Eric Cantor. And they are fed up with him. But more than that, it proved that Eric Cantor is vulnerable. Despite his massive piles of money that comes from power, the grassroots have become angry. Angry at being used and abused. And yesterday shows that the voters are ready to replace Eric Cantor.

And it also shows that money isn’t everything.

http://www.varight.com/news/the-sig...bers-victory-in-the-brat-cantor-primary-race/

Was anyone here aware that poor Eric is sooooooo inarticulate, he has spent THOUSANDS of dollars for voice training?

Tom White gave his first-person account here:

Eric Cantor Suffers Major Defeat in his Own District as Conservative Fred Gruber Defeats Cantor’s Man Cobb
Folks, let me just say, this victory for Fred Gruber as the new Chairman of Eric Cantor’s 7th Virginia Congressional District is as big a political story as we have seen in Virginia since the Republicans swept the top three state offices in 2009 with Bob McDonnell, Bill Bolling and Ken Cuccinelli winning the day.

This victory for Gruber today has implications that are far greater than this single victory. And my take on that will be the subject for a separate post as it deserves to be told on its own.

It was interesting watching Ray Allen, the architect of all of the discord in the Virginia Republican Party and half of the Marcus and Allen Consulting firm that Cantor has used for many years. Boyd Marcus, you may recall, endorsed the horrific Terry McAuliffe and became a turncoat in last November’s election. And Ray Allen is still Cantor’s attack machine behind the lies and nasty mailers we all know and love.

Ray Allen was desperately moving his fingers around the little calculator going over the numbers again and again and again hoping for different results. Which is not unlike the Zombies that vote for Cantor over and over again thinking maybe this time ….

Ok, I enjoyed seeing Allen sweat a little too much. No. That’s not true. I enjoyed watching him lose with ever fiber of my being. Getting this man out of Virginia Politics would be more beneficial than defeating Obama. That is an honest truth.

So as soon as the Head Teller crunched the numbers over and over again, checked and double checked the totals he wrote on the legal pad with the totals on the forms turned in by each unit, and was satisfied that the counting was done, I looked at the numbers.

Fred Gruber 686, Linwood Cobb 635. That works out to 52% to 48%.

And I headed back to the back of the room to await the announcement and the reaction and I happened to see Fred Gruber sitting on an aisle seat. I bent down and told him the results and was officially the first person to congratulate him and shake his hand on being the new 7th District Chairman.

And the look on his face said it all. I wish I had a camera to capture that.

The announcement came and the cheers were defining. People were literally running around the room, many with tears of joy streaming down their cheeks randomly hugging other Gruber supporters before running to the next hug.

And the stunned Cantor supporters couldn’t leave the place fast enough.

The dismantlement of the Eric Cantor machine has begun. Linwood Cobb is the first victim in the fight to restore Liberty to Virginia and the nation.

Onward. The Conservatives win the day.

Moving Virginia Forward. The Right Way.

TFred

E-mail from Bryce Reeves this afternoon.

TFred

May 12th, 2014

Phone: 540-645-8440
E-mail: Ashley@BryceReeves.com

Statement from Senator Reeves on the 7th District Convention

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va- Senator Reeves issued the following statement in regards to the 7th District Republican Convention:

"This past Saturday, the 7th Congressional District of Virginia elected a new chairman. After a very close election, we say "goodbye" and "thank you" to our former chairman, Linwood Cobb, as we welcome our new chairman, Fred Gruber.

I want to thank Linwood Cobb for his tireless work to strengthen the 7th District Committee over the years and putting on such successful events such as the Republican Round Up.

It has become a theme that I have been hearing for some time from Republicans across the board here in Virginia--let's unite the Party, coming together to back our candidates and elected officials.

So, in this spirit, I hope that all of us within the 7th Congressional District will work together and support REPUBLICAN principles and values and our newly-elected chairman, Fred Gruber, after such a close election.

On that note, congratulations to Fred Gruber. I look forward to working with him to continue this tradition of success in the 7th."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
E-mail from Bryce Reeves this afternoon.

TFred

May 12th, 2014

Phone: 540-645-8440
E-mail: Ashley@BryceReeves.com

Statement from Senator Reeves on the 7th District Convention

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va- Senator Reeves issued the following statement in regards to the 7th District Republican Convention:

"This past Saturday, the 7th Congressional District of Virginia elected a new chairman. After a very close election, we say "goodbye" and "thank you" to our former chairman, Linwood Cobb, as we welcome our new chairman, Fred Gruber.

I want to thank Linwood Cobb for his tireless work to strengthen the 7th District Committee over the years and putting on such successful events such as the Republican Round Up.

It has become a theme that I have been hearing for some time from Republicans across the board here in Virginia--let's unite the Party, coming together to back our candidates and elected officials.

So, in this spirit, I hope that all of us within the 7th Congressional District will work together and support REPUBLICAN principles and values and our newly-elected chairman, Fred Gruber, after such a close election.

On that note, congratulations to Fred Gruber. I look forward to working with him to continue this tradition of success in the 7th."

Now there is an offend nobody, middle of the road, innoculous political statement if I have ever seen one. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OK Fred....so which of Skidmark's locations are you having the Roundup at? :uhoh:

cobb-19.jpg

cobb6.jpg

Last edited: