• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling through co.

bwboley

Activist Member
I'm heading from oregon to ks I'll be bringing my glock that I usually oc but Co doesn't honor my oregon or Washington chl so I'm not to sure on loaded carry. Like in Wyoming they don't accept either but loaded in a car in the open is ok.
So is loaded in the open ok or should I lock it up?

Saxxon

I don't have the exact law to quote in front of me. But a loaded gun in your car in glove box or in open or holstered on your person is valid. I'd do the later, its a constitutional right in this state, so in your car even in Denver you are safe in that regard. Out of your car in Denver would be a problem - so don't spend any money in Denver.

bwboley

Activist Member
K thanks I don't like denver anyway... I wish they would have beat the seahawks lol
So I'll fill up before denver and or eat before or after

billfoster424

I don't have the exact law to quote in front of me. But a loaded gun in your car in glove box or in open or holstered on your person is valid. I'd do the later, its a constitutional right in this state, so in your car even in Denver you are safe in that regard. Out of your car in Denver would be a problem - so don't spend any money in Denver.

So would Denver include Golden? I am traveling through in a couple of weeks and find it difficult to get specific info. Actually we are meeting friends from TN in Golden for a visit before we continue on. Thanks for any input or advise on OC as my NV and UT are no good.... Guess I become a bad guy when I drive over the state line!

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
@ billfoster424,

No, it would not, since Golden is in "JeffCo" (Jefferson County), not Denver County. :)

In fact, we held an OC Get-Together event there @ Denny's (Youngfield Service Rd) 2 weeks ago -- no issues.

Same for all the "suburbs" around Denver: Littleton, Lakewood, Broomfield, Brighton, Thornton, Arvada, Aurora, Ken Caryl, Highlands Ranch (et al)...just not the County/City of Denver.

Kind of weird sitting in Denny's (565 Union Blvd) in Lakewood (also in JeffCo county) while OC-ing, yet looking out the windows at the tall buildings of downtown Denver almost right next door -- where you CAN'T OC -- but that's how it is!

Happy OC-ing in Golden...

Last edited:

F350

Colorado state Constitution; Article II section 13
http://ballotpedia.org/Article_II,_Colorado_Constitution

Section 13. Right to bear arms. The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

The reason you can't find a law permitting open carry is, there ain't none. (Except some liberal judges allowed Denver city and county to ban OC). So if outside of Denver open carry away.

Vehicle is considered an extension of your home so carry away, also no duty to inform if you are stopped for traffic violation.

Last edited:

Saxxon

Denver's OC ban was at a 3 to 3 split in the Colorado Supreme Court. In almost every other respect the decision the court made on that case went against Denver.

Sadly it will take some hapless indivual going thru the wringer and some decent attorneys to put it right. Pre-emption means pre-emption - this home rule crap is fine for establishing things that only residents have to endure (and notably vote those that pass such crap into power). Things like property and animal regulations etc. When it comes to people and legal conduct a statewide or better still nationwide standard is needed. No one should become a criminal simply because they crossed the town lines.

SteveInCO

So would Denver include Golden? I am traveling through in a couple of weeks and find it difficult to get specific info. Actually we are meeting friends from TN in Golden for a visit before we continue on. Thanks for any input or advise on OC as my NV and UT are no good.... Guess I become a bad guy when I drive over the state line!

Just to clarify for anyone else reading this, UT permits ARE good in CO unless you aren't a UT resident (I am figuring you aren't, and know this; this is for the benefit of others).