Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fake guns = deadly threat

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616

    Fake guns = deadly threat

    They were maybe just trying to get enough money to buy real guns.

    http://www.nbc12.com/story/25486062/...empted-robbery
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    They were maybe just trying to get enough money to buy real guns.

    http://www.nbc12.com/story/25486062/...empted-robbery
    Lawfully?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Lawfully?
    You were always the one to ask the tricky questions in school weren't you?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You were always the one to ask the tricky questions in school weren't you?
    Not me, it was the OTHER guy! LOL
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Guns have noses?

    18.2531 refers to "any pistol, shotgun, rifle" while 18.2-282 refers to " any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not". Apparently the thought (apprehension) of a gun is badderer than using a real gun.

    BTW - Virginia does not have a law against removing/covering the marking at the end of the barrel (or is it "nose"?) of toy/ imitation firearms. How can we properly persecute prosecute these criminals if there is a loophole?

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  6. #6
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,616
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Guns have noses?

    18.2531 refers to "any pistol, shotgun, rifle" while 18.2-282 refers to " any firearm or any air or gas operated weapon or any object similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not". Apparently the thought (apprehension) of a gun is badderer than using a real gun.

    BTW - Virginia does not have a law against removing/covering the marking at the end of the barrel (or is it "nose"?) of toy/ imitation firearms. How can we properly persecute prosecute these criminals if there is a loophole?

    stay safe.
    Not "more equal", but equaler to.

    The apprehension and necessary elemements remain the same whether real or unreal.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    25

    If It Looks Like a Duck

    There is a legal principal regarding firearms in the commission of criminal acts that goes like this:

    If it looks like a duck, it's a duck.

    These robber wannabees who used fakes would be prosecuted as if they were the Real McCoy. If they meet their demise using this faux gun, it would not matter that it was a fake. Termination by LEO or civilian is just as justified as if it was brand new real lookalike that day coming out of the FFL.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post
    There is a legal principal regarding firearms in the commission of criminal acts that goes like this:

    If it looks like a duck, it's a duck.

    These robber wannabees who used fakes would be prosecuted as if they were the Real McCoy. If they meet their demise using this faux gun, it would not matter that it was a fake. Termination by LEO or civilian is just as justified as if it was brand new real lookalike that day coming out of the FFL.
    And the case law (from Virginia, of course) that backs that up is ....?

    18.2-253.1 does not deal with imitation or look-like or faux or toy or make-believe. 18.2-282 does. But it may well be that in Florida the distinction between the two does not matter.

    The point was to show that precise distinction. BTW - in Virginia robbery is not found in the criminal code, but comes from Common Law. Thus, we here are controlled by case law - which is not all that consistent in agreeing with your assertions. http://www.virginiarules.com/virgini...gainst-persons

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    And the case law (from Virginia, of course) that backs that up is ....?

    18.2-253.1 does not deal with imitation or look-like or faux or toy or make-believe. 18.2-282 does. But it may well be that in Florida the distinction between the two does not matter.

    The point was to show that precise distinction. BTW - in Virginia robbery is not found in the criminal code, but comes from Common Law. Thus, we here are controlled by case law - which is not all that consistent in agreeing with your assertions. http://www.virginiarules.com/virgini...gainst-persons

    stay safe.
    Interesting subject Skid. 55 or so years ago my father took a murder case where a man pointed a blank pistol at the wrong man, and was killed. Sure enough the Commonwealth didn't agree that it looked like a real gun and was therefor self defense. The old man did win the case but it was because of other evidence in conjunction with the blank pistol.....That was a major factor in his decision to not specialize in criminal law I think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •