• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jack in the Box bans open carry

protias

In the interest of transparency, here is the full statement from Fort Worth P.D., which Sgt. Bush just confirmed to me (on Tues 5/6) is accurate:

On May 1st the F.W.P.D. received a call stating four males were carrying assault rifles in the parking lot of the Jack-in-the-Box located at Sycamore School Road and South Freeway.
Upon arrival, officers discovered a group of 4-6 males carrying rifles. The men reported that they were conducting an Open Carry Demonstration.
Officers spoke with Jack-in-the-Box employees who reported that they feared for their lives and believed they were being robbed. They locked themselves inside a freezer for protection out of fear the rifle-carrying men would rob them.
The demonstration had no signage that would have alerted anyone to their real purpose, and to our knowledge they did not attempt to contact anyone in the Fort Worth Police Department to advise us prior to the demonstration.
A patrol supervisor made the scene and spoke with members of the demonstration. He explained that in the future it would be advantageous if they carried large signage or flags declaring their purpose. He also gave them the number to the local police station so they could advise police prior to their next demonstration.
The initial call was #140326011.
We respect the rights of all citizens to peacefully protest and the right to bear arms. However, we cannot stress enough how a simple phone call to police prior to this demonstration and the use of easily visible signage could have avoided un-necessarily alarming the public.

So, this appears to be an unverified report from a sargent who says police officers said that Jack in the Box employees told them that this happened.

It will be interesting to see what the official police reports say.

©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

U

Posted by Dean Weingarten at 5/13/2014 05:53:00 AM No comments: Links to this post

So people need to call the police whenever they are planning on exercising their rights? :rolleyes:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Fort Worth P.D said:
...Upon arrival, officers discovered a group of 4-6 males carrying rifles...

...We respect the rights of all citizens to peacefully protest and the right to bear arms. However, we cannot stress enough how a simple phone call to police prior to this demonstration and the use of easily visible signage could have avoided un-necessarily alarming the public...

Was that too high a number to count accurately?

And we respect the self-righteous opinions of public servants, but we cannot stress enough that removing the unconstitutional ban on the unlicensed carry of sidearms would make these "demonstrations" completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Dean,

I have open carried at the Burger King in Snohomish several times without being asked to leave. Nor have I ever seen any request/news article etc. saying they don't wan't us there.

I fully respect the rights of private businesses, but they have to make it very clear we are not wanted there. I don't usually call ahead to ask……………..

Clarification please?

Bill

Dave_pro2a

http://www.marlerblog.com/legal-cas...ack-in-the-box-e-coli-outbreak-was-announced/

20 years ago today the State of Washington Department of Health sent out a press release announcing that an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak was occurring in the State and that it was likely linked to tainted, undercooked hamburgers served at local Jack in the Box restaurants. Eventually, the numbers of ill would be over 600, including the deaths of four children and nearly 50 with acute kidney failure – hemolytic uremic syndrome. Illnesses would be spread from California to Nevada and Idaho. The lives of those families were forever changed.

Ahh Jack in the Box. Killing kids with burgers, but dang it all -- no armed law abiding citizens allowed.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A very close friend of the family died from e. coli during that outbreak. She was a regular at the local Jack-in-the-Box. I was thinking about it when this thread started.

Jack-in-the-Box has actually killed people, unlike their armed ex-customers.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
it may well be a private business but the very nature of it means they expect the public to be there and as such there is no right to privacy. Plus in Pruneyard Shopping Center v. Robins it was stated that

even the liberal wasteland of California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruneyard_Shopping_Center_v._Robins

There is certainly precedent for insisting that businesses respect your right to free speech. While they can deny that in some states it certainly isnt wise

And what part of the Right to Free Speech do you believe gives one the right to take pictures while inside a privately owned business, when the business has prohibited it?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is another statement of preference, not policy.

When the hell did it become necessary to kowtow to politically correct statements of preference unbacked by policy?

I think I'm going to go buy some Starbucks just out of spite to those who feel that way.

WalkingWolf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is another statement of preference, not policy.

When the hell did it become necessary to kowtow to politically correct statements of preference unbacked by policy?

I think I'm going to go buy some Starbucks just out of spite to those who feel that way.

I never patronized SB or JIB, so I will not be wasting money to spite anybody. But yea, the statement was NOT a ban. MDA clearly got ahead of themselves claiming victory with either one. Nobody won, and nobody lost except maybe the media turning a non event into a event.