• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out

Alpine

You have a right to carry on your own property and on public property. It wouldn't matter whether the guy was in a park or on his porch. When the trespasser lunged at him after making threats, the trespasser forfeited his life.

Grim_Night

So - you really don't know the difference between standing on someone's lawn or porch and yelling, and breaking in the door? Maybe this will help:

The criminal was committing the MISDEMEANOR of trespassing. Behind the locked door of the house there was no IMMINENT DANGER of a felony being committed against the defendant. As soon as the defendant left his house, he placed himself in imminent danger. If the criminal was attempting to actually enter the house - the entire situation changes because then it becomes the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer.

Per the most recent link regarding the situation...

"She said detectives learned the 56-year-old never opened his front door while Shive was there yelling, as he had it duct taped closed in connection with some kind of repair or renovation."

I have no other evidence then this but I pose that maybe the door was only held closed by the duct tape? My thoughts are that the owner/shooter walked out his back or side door to confront the man on his porch to prevent the man from easily kicking or knocking his door down?

griz_64

lots of unknown going on with this whole case so far, being able to watch the facebook discussion has made it even that much more interesting with the family and friends posting and wanting to darn near hang the shooter.

EMNofSeattle

As the title says, it will be interesting to see what happens. I armed myself to leave my house and investigate a trespasser once. I won't do it again - it's much easier to defend the action of just calling the police and waiting for them inside the house ready to shoot anyone that might come through the door without permission.

The homeowner never retreated anywhere - he advanced towards on the trespasser to confront him.

Which is not illegal, lunging at the armed homeowner is.

griz_64

the biggest problem in this county is the time of response, it took the cops about 10 mins to arrive and secure the scene for the medics to be able to treat the victim, they had to wait for the cops to clear the scene so calling them in an emergency may not help you much

EMNofSeattle

How about this. Guy is in MY front yard, screaming that he is going to kill me because I shot his dog. I guard my front door with my gun, watch him through the windows, and call the cops. They, at a minimum, remove him from my property - but more likely arrest him for coming on my property with the purpose of threatening me. Goal accomplished. He is off my property and I have almost zero chance of being prosecuted for anything.

Or, I guard my door with my gun, and he attempts to enter my house so I shoot him. Much better position to be in for justification.

Personally, I believe the homeowner in this case is on very shaky legal ground, and I won't take such chances with my family. While they homeowner did nothing illegal, there is always this:

What if the jury finds that it was a reckless act, just not illegal, to retrieve his gun and leave his house to confront the person? The act does not have to be illegal to be reckless.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/recklessness

I'm sorry, when you leave your house to confront a person that is already threatening you - or loudly accusing you - I would consider that to be a high probability of being reckless in doing so. In my case, I was taking the trash to the curb and there was a suspicious vehicle parked at the edge of my long driveway at 7:00 am. I came back to my house, retrieved my gun and cell phone, and went back to the vehicle to call the police with the license plate number and description of the vehicle. There ended up being a drunk woman inside the vehicle who thought she was on the neighbor's property whom she was acquainted with.

Your legal theory comes up short in that the state Supreme Court has consistently ruled against this type of thing.......

Alpine

I think the locale and typical police response time in that locale are germane facts that should be considered if this goes to trial. Not that the police have a duty to protect you, but to ignorant juries it might sound good.

EMNofSeattle

I think the locale and typical police response time in that locale are germane facts that should be considered if this goes to trial. Not that the police have a duty to protect you, but to ignorant juries it might sound good.

Lewis county? I doubt this will ever see the inside of a criminal court.....

MossWalker

The more facts that keep coming out about this are going in the victims favor, the victim being the home owner. As on here and FB page and people I have talked to that knew the young man he had a temper and a criminal record. I didn't say anything on are local FB page to many emotions right now. Like many on here I will wait for more facts and try to learn from this as a self defence case.

griz_64

Ya Ive been reading the facebook page as well and it seems like lots of emotion right now, there is no way I would join in on that conversation