• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out

davidmcbeth

Banned
Thanks for the non-FB link.

So Joe goes to Franks house uninvited and starts a ruckus.

Frank shoots Joe.

Sucks to be Joe ... I see nothing wrong with Frank's actions.

If I have an issue with a neighbor, especially a volatile issue, I don't walk over onto his land and complain (that's how you get shot).
I don't call the police either (I rarely, ever so rarely call the police; I only call the police about gov't activity). I telephone the guy or write to him.

If I cannot work it out through those means .. then I have other methods.

Freedom1Man

“I hate that someone just chose to take him away from me and my family, especially when we just began to become real siblings again,” Shive-Stanton said.

Jo Anne Weiler, who held Shiver’s hand as he died, said she has lived in the Salkum area since the late 1960s and is appalled that two different neighbors — armed with guns — caused and escalated a dispute that ended Shive’s life.

“This was the kind of place you wanted your kids to grow up — not anymore,” she said.

His friends said Shive was unarmed at the time of his death, and likely would not have attacked the neighbor if he did not have a gun pointed at him.

Wow, so he attacked the armed man who's porch he was on?

If someone pulls a gun on me I don't bum rush the guy I put hand up and try to defuse the issue. If someone had rushed me, while I was armed, after banging on my door I'd likely have done the same thing as the shooter.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Jo Anne Weiler, who held Shiver’s hand as he died, said she has lived in the Salkum area since the late 1960s and is appalled that two different neighbors — armed with guns — caused and escalated a dispute that ended Shive’s life.

Well, if it was the same neighbor, it would be suicide.

Me, I would have just wrote the guy a nice letter asking him not to pound on my door like that. It ain't neighborly.

Odd that Jo Anne did not rush up and try to defuse the situation...I wonder why? She's a bad neighbor, that's why!

golddigger14s

Activist Member
"He said he felt threatened so he got a gun and went back outside to tell Shive again to leave."
OK, you feel threatened, go inside where it's safe, and then go back outside? If I felt threatened, and had the ability to get back inside I would. I would then call the police to let them handle the idiot. I would be armed if in case he made an attempt/successful entry into my house that would entail deadly force.

Difdi

"He said he felt threatened so he got a gun and went back outside to tell Shive again to leave."
OK, you feel threatened, go inside where it's safe, and then go back outside? If I felt threatened, and had the ability to get back inside I would. I would then call the police to let them handle the idiot. I would be armed if in case he made an attempt/successful entry into my house that would entail deadly force.

Standing on your own private property has different rules than standing on someone else's property or a public street corner.

davidmcbeth

Banned

And a Molotov cocktail thrown threw into your window?

If I felt threatened, my objective is to eliminate the threatening party. Hiding from the party does not necessarily eliminate the threat.

hhofent

It's his own yard. He loses the right to use it how/when he wants when some angry fellow comes around?

Or is the yard only kind of his, but the house, now that's really his, dang it.
Sent from my SCH-R680 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

?Why resist at all, if he enters your house just out the back door and be safe again......... Hell if you didn't even own a home you wouldn't have to defend it from victims of society.....

Seriously? You have a right to defend your domicile, on your terms, not the invaders

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

So the takeaway from the autopsy is that the puny little .380 can be a one-shot stopper. Good to know.

Not knowing the relevant state law, I'm not going to get involved in the lack of actual debate on stand-your-ground vs escalation of combat. I'll just sit here on the sideline, munching my popcorn, waiting for some folks with actual facts and citations to come forward and present them.

stay safe.

EMNofSeattle

So the takeaway from the autopsy is that the puny little .380 can be a one-shot stopper. Good to know.

Not knowing the relevant state law, I'm not going to get involved in the lack of actual debate on stand-your-ground vs escalation of combat. I'll just sit here on the sideline, munching my popcorn, waiting for some folks with actual facts and citations to come forward and present them.

stay safe.

Washington has perhaps one of the most defendant friendly self defense laws in the country.

Aggressive man on shooters property, yelling, accusing him of criminal acts, then lunging at him, shooter fired two shots to the front of aggressor, although witnesses claim agressor was shot in back.

Seems clear cut to my untrained thoughts. I vote self defense

Last edited:

griz_64

I also vote self defense, and I know the guy that was shot. He is a very load and aggressive guy at times, and I'm sure he was half drunk at the time this all happened

hhofent

Washington has perhaps one of the most defendant friendly self defense laws in the country.

Aggressive man on shooters property, yelling, accusing him of criminal acts, then lunging at him, shooter fired two shots to the front of aggressor, although witnesses claim agressor was shot in back.

Seems clear cut to my untrained thoughts. I vote self defense

Self defense, absolutely. For all the reasons listed above. Escalation/failure to try to run away should only apply when you can run home. this guys already at home, minding his own business. Where is he gonna run? Inside? Then when the guy comes in, to a hotel? Your front yard/porch isn't less of your property.

Sent from my SCH-R680 using Tapatalk 2

ak56

Campaign Veteran

From the linked article:

CORRECTION: This news story has been updated to clarify the 56-year-old resident never opened the front door, and only left his house one time to meet up with Shive in his yard.

So apparently, he did not "feel threatened, go inside where it's safe, and then go back outside".

OC for ME

911 what is your emergency?
My neighbor is standing on my front porch yelling at me about his dog getting shot.
Sir, please stay inside with your door locked and we will get someone there as soon as possible.
OK, but I am holding my gun, just so everyone knows.
That's fine sir, just don't open the door or go outside until the police tell you that you can.
OK, no problem.

Would have been a lot simpler.
....uh, he's breaking in my door. Do I retreat to my bathroom and lock the door?