• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping a handgun!!

MattToigo

So here is my dillema.........I purchased my first handgun ever!! That in itself is some thing to happy about. Springfield 1911 mil spec 45! I am happy to say the least. My question is...

If the guy I bought my gun from is shipping his gun through fedex to my FFL, he is an FFL and he is shipping to my FFL, is he required to ship it through fedex by next day or can he ship it by ground? I have been reading the fedex policies and regulations for shipping the gun and they are saying you have to ship it next day air, and he did not. So...I know my gun will get to me eventually. I just don't want to have it messed up, you know? If anyone can help me figure this out that would be awesome!!!! Thank you so much!!

Matt

solus

matt, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase of your first firearm...

you're correct in that firearms and munitions must be shipped next day. that stated, are you sure the person you purchased the firearm from is in fact a FFL. Now, if the seller is an FFL and failed to inform FEDEX he was shipping a firearm, then there might be a slim chance for a problem if it hits a search.

did you get a tracking number so you can follow your firearm package? other than, wait and ensure an adult is home to sign for your package.

ipse

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
FFL to FFL can ship via USPS.

You might have to do the research and show it to your FFL - who is not obliged to ship any particular method. (As opposed to us proles.:( )

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Up to the shipper ... they may have different rules concerning handguns.

I have shipped them ground, nothing special.

I love when someone publishes a confession of a federal felony.

Or is our correspondent playing fast and loose with the discussion by introducing the shipping of shotguns or rifles by a nonlisencee (not a FFL) intrastate to another nonlicencee or interstate to a licensee. http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-usps
Our correspondent has been known to befuddle the waters in that manner, hoping to be able to call a "Gotcha!"

stay safe.

MattToigo

matt, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase of your first firearm...

you're correct in that firearms and munitions must be shipped next day. that stated, are you sure the person you purchased the firearm from is in fact a FFL. Now, if the seller is an FFL and failed to inform FEDEX he was shipping a firearm, then there might be a slim chance for a problem if it hits a search.

did you get a tracking number so you can follow your firearm package? other than, wait and ensure an adult is home to sign for your package.

ipse

Ok...I bought the gun on gunbroker.com and I'm sure you have seen it too, where it says if the person you are buying the gun from is an FFL dealer or not. It said he was and I asked about it too. He got my payment on a Thursday and didn't mail out my gun till today, which for one really pissed me off and second he did it through fedex. I have heard really horrible things about FedEx. I even tried to contacting him about shipping it over night. Told him that I didn't want anything to mess up with this and that according to fedex regulations if it is a handgun it has to be shipped over night. He never responded. He finally got back to me gave me a tracking number and it finally updated to where I can see it and it won't be here to my FFL till Friday which in my opinion is complete ********.

I had been reading some posts on forums and what not and some have said the when an FFL ships to another FFL he doesn't need to ship overnight next day....is this true?

And thank you very much!! I have Been doing my research and took a simmunitions class and plan to open carry until I get my CPL.

MattToigo

I always ship ups ground to FFLs. Maybe I'm doing it wrong

I don't want I make you worried or anything but with the way the government(ATF) is nowadays, they would probably look for every reason to slam you. Granted to the customers buying products it will cost more in shipping, I am willing to pay the extra money for the "safety" of getting it sooner which is also a plus. And I even asked the guy I bought it from if I could give him the extra money for sending it overnight and never got a response. VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!

My whole thing about this process was that he got my payment and held onto the product for 4 days and then decides to ship it. OH MAN DID THAT MAKE ME MAD!!! I could have been here a week earlier!!!

And just FYI I checked every major shipping company and hey all at make sure you tell us it's a gun because it needs to be shipped overnight. Some people try to get by and a pay a really small shipping fee and will label the package as "machine parts" and that a big no, no!

So with all of this happening, I do have that slightly bad feeling that I may get screwed over.

Firearms Iinstuctor

It wasn't a ATF ruling on ground shipping it was an internal UPS decision to require next day air.

To try and stop some of their theft problems they said or it could just been they are anti gun.

All packages are tracked any way so what different does it makes.

WalkingWolf

Depending on the state ammunition does not have to be shipped next day, UPS ONLY uses ground for shipping ORM-D. Packaging must be clearly marked ORM-D. A FFL can use the USPS to ship which is much cheaper than UPS, or Fedex. I shipped one of my Glocks back for a frame replacement, broken frame rail, so much for Glock perfection. The cost was 18 dollars and some change I gave the dealer a 20 for doing it for me, otherwise he did not charge me extra.

Shipping USPS is priority but not next day. It took my gun 3 working days to get to Glock, about normal for priority. I used to ship hatching eggs priority about 5 years ago and it cost around 15 dollars per package, so presently 18 dollars sounds right with a signature confirm charge.

The overnight is not a law, it is a company policy within UPS and Fedex, where they butter their bread. It IS illegal to falsely declare contents of a package when asked. At least for USPS, may not be for UPS and Fedex. I know several folks who have shipped their guns by using the drop boxes and not declaring the package. Ammo MUST be marked ORM-D though.

It is still cheaper to use a FFL if a person has a good relationship with their LGS. If no frame replacement is made when sending for repair a gun can be shipped directly back to the owner.

WalkingWolf

BTW I will not buy a gun from gunbroker, unless it is a reputable dealer with a brick and mortar store. And then dealers like Bud's are always wayyyyy lower in prices. If buying from and individual and you get burned you have limited recourse, basically going to the police, and they may tell you to take it to civil court.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

And thank you very much!! I have Been doing my research and took a simmunitions class and plan to open carry until I get my CPL.

You are aware that OCDO is dedicated to the concept of open carry? Some here have a permission slip to carry concealed but OC for the most part, unlike you who seems bound and determined to CC as soon as you legally can.

Why?

stay safe.