Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: "No guns allowed" signs...???

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    60

    "No guns allowed" signs...???

    Okay allow me to express my lack of knowledge...

    What is the law in Indiana on private businesses that put up "no weapons/guns allowed" signs on their property?

    1: Is this legal?

    2: What legal power do they have with this?


    Can you help me get a clear answer (without getting confused and lost in "legalese")?

    Thanks!
    Murphy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Go back to sleep....Your Government will take care of you...."

  2. #2
    Regular Member cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    195
    Some states have laws specifically allowing these signs to carry weight of law, like in TN where I currently live.

    In IN though, these signs have no legal weight, and you are not required to obey them. This makes much more sense, just like you don't have to obey signs that say "no outside food/drinks" and not worry about getting arrested for it.

    If the property owner, or anyone with their authority tell you to leave their property though, for any reason, including they don't want you there with a gun, then you MUST leave, or you are breaking the law and can be arrested for trespassing.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    In IN though, these signs have no legal weight, and you are not required to obey them. This makes much more sense, just like you don't have to obey signs that say "no outside food/drinks" and not worry about getting arrested for it.
    VERY good analogy, I'm gonna remember that one for future use.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran ATM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    365
    Agreed. They could post a NO BANANAS sign, but that wouldn't make carrying bananas there illegal in the absence of legislation otherwise prohibiting bananas or at least adding some consequence to banana sign non-compliance.

    In Indiana, it is not a crime to ignore such posted requests or rules. The only request one must abide by legally, as noted above, is a request to leave.

  5. #5
    Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Owingsville,KY
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    Some states have laws specifically allowing these signs to carry weight of law, like in TN where I currently live.

    In IN though, these signs have no legal weight, and you are not required to obey them. This makes much more sense, just like you don't have to obey signs that say "no outside food/drinks" and not worry about getting arrested for it.

    If the property owner, or anyone with their authority tell you to leave their property though, for any reason, including they don't want you there with a gun, then you MUST leave, or you are breaking the law and can be arrested for trespassing.
    Here in KY. signs also have no weight of law. But in states such as yours, does violating these signs automatically get you a trespassing charge? If so, then I guess you could be arrested for bringing outside food and drinks into a place that prohibits such an act.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

    self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

  6. #6
    Regular Member cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Here in KY. signs also have no weight of law. But in states such as yours, does violating these signs automatically get you a trespassing charge? If so, then I guess you could be arrested for bringing outside food and drinks into a place that prohibits such an act.
    There is a specific law allowing places to post 'no guns' allowed, and have them carry weight of law, so its automatically trespassing. Other signs are not covered, the whole law is simply to allow 'no gun' signs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •