• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gwl

Matthew J. Willis

I am still going through the laws and becoming familiar with GA. Just moved back here from LA.
My question about the GWL is this.
If issued, are we required to notify/surrender? This is one of my pet peeves as it surrenders our rights. Many states mandate notification/surrender is required if in possession of CWL. Just wanted a quick check so I can make my decision if I get one or not.

Thanks folks.

Matt

Fallschirjmäger

No requirement to notify, no authority for an officer to demand. After July 1st, an officer may not detain someone based solely upon the fact that they are carrying.

Both licensees are required to carry when exercising the licensed actvity.
OCGA 40-5-29
(a) Every licensee shall have his driver's license in his immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle.
(b) Every licensee shall display his license upon the demand of a law enforcement officer. A refusal to comply with such demand not only shall constitute a violation of this subsection but shall also give rise to a presumption of a violation of subsection (a) of this Code section and of Code Section 40-5-20.
(c) A person convicted of a violation of subsection (a) of this Code section shall be fined no more than $10.00 if he produces in court a license theretofore issued to him and valid at the time of his arrest.​

Compared to the Georgia Code for weapons, OCGA 16-11-137. (Effective 01 July 14)
(a) Every license holder shall have his or her valid weapons carry license in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, or if such person is exempt from having a weapons carry license pursuant to Code Section 16-11-130 or subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-127.1, he or she shall have proof of his or her exemption in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of the applicable provision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2.
(b) A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license.
(c) A person convicted of a violation of this Code section shall be fined not more than $10.00 if he or she produces in court his or her weapons carry license, provided that it was valid at the time of his or her arrest, or produces proof of his or her exemption.​

Additionally, not only is there no money budgeted for constructing a multi-jurisdictional database that can be remotely accessed, the State prohibits one from being established. IOW, Officer Friendly in another state (or even within Georgia) cannot know the license status of a carrier simply by querying a computer database. There are One Hundred and Fifty-Nine separate Probate Courts that issue Georgia Weapons Licenses, not just a single state level issuing agency.

Last edited: