• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Suggest some holsters for a Glock 34 please

Karl

I'm finally ready to make a political statement by open carrying. Now all I need is a holster. I figure you guys can help me out in that area.

Thanks,
Karl

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Presume you already have a gun; therefore a holster. OC it.

There is much from which to choose and you give little clue as to what direction you prefer - leather? kydex? retention level? IWB, OWB?

The Glock 34 enjoys a multitude of holster options: Bladetech, Safariland, Galco, Fobus, Serpa, etc.

I understand though that what others use may help you with the selection.

Kopis

That's not really a carry gun but hey, whatever you're comfy with. I have one as my weekend race gun and love it. If you have swapped sights, i got the single fiber front with plain black rear. I forget the brand. Those really helped my shooting a ton. Ill check the brand later if i have time. Oh i also put in the lighter recoil spring and the ICE magwell guard. It helped balance and draw. All my buddies love that gun and hate how well i shoot with it.

I have a comptac straight drop holster
safariland leg rig
blade tech dropped and offset holster

I think im quickest with the bladetec dropped and offset but i like that the comptac mimics my usual OC carry position. (usually carry a g17 in a comptac straight drop). so i feel like my practice would be useful in the real world should the unfortunate need arise.

Karl

...you give little clue as to what direction you prefer - leather? kydex? retention level? IWB, OWB?

I'm totally new to carry, so forgive me for forgetting such vital details. Kydex is plastic, right? Kydex would be fine as I'm not looking to spend a fortune on genuine leather.

Retention level would be how hard it is for somebody else to get at my gun. Which retention level is typical? What retention levels should I be looking at? This will be worn in good neighborhoods as a political statement so I don't expect to meet thugs intent on taking my gun.

It will be outside the waist band. No way and an showing a gun in my pants (sounds uncomfortable, which is one reason I don't care to concealed carry despite having a permit).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Karl

Last edited:

Kopis

WalkingWolf

Any open bottom holster will work for the longer barrel, it will just protrude below by the extra length. Serpa holsters are reasonably priced, and available at Wally World, or through the online store. Any holster with open bottom for Glock frame and slide the size of 357 sig will work.

I see no difference in carrying a long slide Glock and a 1911, they are of similar lengths. The 34 should be a excellent OC gun.

SharpShootur

Glock 34/35/41 holsters

I'm finally ready to make a political statement by open carrying. Now all I need is a holster. I figure you guys can help me out in that area.

Thanks,
Karl

Howdy Dowdy Karl! :D And welcome to the world of OC! Let me begin by telling you that you made an EXCELLENT choice in a carry weapon!

By the way, I also carry a Glock 34! :banana:

And yes, this same weapon is basically the same size as a full size 1911. Many police officers around the nation carry this fine weapon as a duty gun so DON'T BE BASHFUL.

To answer your question as to what holster you should use, I recommend as a minimum a level II holster. This holster requires that you depress some sort of button to remove the firearm. In addition to this, you want to make sure that the holster INCLUDES AN ANTI GRAB DEVICE! Remember, you're in public with your gun, BUT we can't always predict the motives of others.

With that said, I would recommend the 5.11 Thumbdrive Holster. 5.11 Tactical, in conjunction with BladeTech, has designed a series of holsters to fit specific firearms INCLUDING glock 34/35 (These holsters WILL also fit the new Glock 41)!! Order from Amazon.com for best pricing. ;)

Holster info below:

PURPOSE BUILT
Produced in partnership with Blade-Tech™ and field tested by the professionals at Viking Tactics®, the 5.11 ThumbDrive™ Holster is engineered to be the safest and fastest-drawing Level II Holster on the market. The exclusive single-thumb activated release allows a quick and natural release, while the reinforced retention system and removable Chop-Block™ switch guard prevent weapon loss during physical altercation. The ThumbDrive Holster offers a fully customizable installation, and optional Thigh Rig and Drop/Offset kits (sold separately) allow completely user-defined placement for maximum draw efficiency.

5.11 Tactical ThumbDrive Holster
Weapon Model: Glock 34/35 - Right Hand OR Weapon Model: Glock 34/35 - Left Hand

OVERVIEW:
Built to be the safest and fastest L2 holster on the market
Reinforced weapon retention system
Removable Chop-Block switch guard
Includes Belt Slide and Paddle
Belt Slide adjusts to fit up to 2.25" belts

SPECIFICATIONS:
Engineered in partnership with Blade-Tech™
Field tested by Viking Tactics®
ThumbDrive Holster Thigh Rig and Drop/Offset kits available

5.11 Thumb Drive Holster - field tested by Viking Tactics (video link below*) *Initial speaker in the truck along with assistant are utilizing 34/35s by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJfNb0PVbXU

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The OP is looking for outside the waistband. I have never experienced a gun digging any part of me outside the waistband. And I have used belt slide holsters for years. Most holsters that are made to stay tight to the body do so with the intent to tuck the grip in close. Which puts the hammer, on guns with them, slightly away from the body. Even when I was heavy that was not a problem.

He is also talking about OC so it is unlikely that his gun will be close to bare skin, unless he goes shirtless a lot. It is why I tried not to push a specific holster, only to ask questions so he can decide what he needs. Once he does that finding the right holster on the internet is easy.

As far as personally I hate IWB, I like my clothes to fit properly with or without carrying a gun. A OWB belt or even paddle holster is much easier to remove, IMO, in the restroom. Instead of taking the gun out of the holster. Just for me, the only reason I could see using a IWB is to conceal when entering a place that is posted, and I will not do that. I made one IWB holster, both my wife and I tried it, we both hated it equally. She wears her jeans tight enough she can get away with a paddle holster with no belt, no room for a gun.

But I will say IWB is much much much better than sticking a gun in a pocket, with or without a holster. The idea scares the bejeebers out of me.

WalkingWolf

What does any of that have to do with the OP's question?

Please read post 1 and 4, before you go even deeper off the deep end.

Last edited: