• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

are you ready for economy crash ?

onus

coming soon......stock market crash....housing crash.......inflation........

onus

How do you, @nus, measure inflation to deny that the US$ is already horribly inflated ("coming soon ... inflation")?

In 1973 a top of the line Porsche sold for <$20K, burned fuel 1/4 as expensive as today, ran on fancy tires that cost the same as everyday tires now.

But, yes, I am as prepared as I can be. Debt free home owner in a traditionally self-sufficient community culture congregation on an isolated Island.

I'm thinking specifically interest rates. if they go up the economy will crash. rates have been kept low through complete government manipulation and I don't know how much longer that can last.

RK3369

inflation has been here for 5 years.............

or more already. It's just that the government changed the way they calculate it a while back to exclude food and oil, so they say we don't have any inflation. Think about how much your weekly groceries and tank full of gas cost now as compared to even 5 years ago and you can't deny it. The reason we dont' have inflation is because the fed's mortgage loan underwriting standards are so tight that most people can't qualify to get a mortgage at a reasonable rate. That's why so many people are renting now instead of buying and there has been so little inflation in home prices, because the government has made it very difficult for the average person to buy. And when you can't write mortgage loans houses don't' sell, and when houses don't sell, home prices are stable or decline and there is no inflation. It's all government manipulation. The end will happen when the rest of the world economy shifts away from settling commercial transactions in US dollars. When the dollar is no longer the "gold standard" of world currencies, we'll be rocked with inflation because we won't be able to deal with our foreign debt to China. We'll print more money to try to deal with it but that will just fuel more inflation. IT's coming, just be prepared.

RK3369

I should have said.............

GeeZeus! Think for yourself, don't let the government 'figure' for you. Figures can lie and liars figure.

the reason we don't have "higher" inflation than we do is because of the underwriting standards. Lower standards allow more people to qualify for loans, which puts upwards pressure on the price of a limited supply of homes due to more buyers being in the market place, which fuels inflation. Plus lower qualification standards causes rates to increase based on the higher credit risk of the borrowers who now qualify, leading to more inflation.

Guess I was not specific enough in my statement, although inflation is and has been here. But it can and will be much worse if the government ever lets up on allowing people to obtain financing for housing.