• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Question..

GrowlingAlmond

First off i would like to apologize because i know this question might be asked a lot.

I am a resident in Fayetteville, North Carolina - 23 years old and i will be purchasing my first handgun in about 2 weeks (I already have my purchase permits, just waiting on the funds to collect my weapon)

My question is this: I have been told my a reputable Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer in town that you DO NOT need to have a permit to open carry and that you DO NOT need to register this weapon with the Sheriffs Office in order to LEGALLY open carry. My Family has some debates about this, saying that i do, in fact, need to have a permit to open carry, i understand that for a Concealed Carry, a permit is required, but because of mixed answers, im a bit confused about Open Carry, the information i have found online has not been completely definitive on the question i have. My aim here is to be 100% sure that i am legally allowed to open carry (except for certain specified places of course) without a permit or need to register - this will be my first firearm purchase for personal protection and i plan on wearing this on my belt for that same reason, but i want to be completely responsible about this and ensure that i am following the law correctly.

Any and all advice is extremely helpful and very appreciated.

Thank you.

Almond.

*For those curious, my first EDC will be a Glock, first one ill own, i'd like to hear what people think about them*

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

solus

growling, welcome to NC's world of OC'g as well as to the forum...

to assist you in your quest, here is the NC's attorney general's little brochure: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299...-gun-Laws.aspx (section III is of import)

as well as where the NC's statutes are located along with the handy search function in the upper right side: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

now as you peruse these documents, you will fail to locate anything regarding statutes granting permission to OC'g in NC since there are none listed, and it makes NC a gold model for it's citizens to OC as they go about their daily life's.

of course there are caveats on OC'g, such as on educational property, etc. but your attention is directed to the brochure for specifics where no firearms are allowed, CC'd or OC'd.

section III of the AG's brochure is of import as it provides guidance regarding carry of a firearm in a vehicle~ there are no statutes covering specifics.

as is my custom, I always end with suggesting individuals take a firearm course, from an unbiased instructor such as the NRA's basic pistol course.

as to your purchase of a glock, sorry I am not of that ilk.

ipse

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Might I suggest to the OP that he could build his own gun as well as opposed to buying one. Its a skill all should know and enjoy as a hobby.

bc.cruiser

Welcome to OCDO!

Solus has given you good material to start with. Read, read, and re-read. When someone, anyone, tells you about any law, look it up in the general statutes.

Your FFL is correct.

Durham is the only county in NC that still requires registration.

There are several of us in Fayetteville (20+ at last count) and nearby to answer questions. PM us if you like.

About your EDC choice: I have absolutely no experience with that marque, but I understand they work well. I also understand there is discount pricing available to military, if that applies.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Durham is the only county in NC that still requires registration.
Don't know the last time this was enforced as a primary charge.

GRNC is working to have this changed at the state level, I believe. Right now, Durham has an exception in the NC statute.

GrowlingAlmond

After going through the site last night and this morning, I can tell everyone on here is very knowledgeable about their rights, laws and regulations concerning these things. I appreciate all the advice and I definitely plan on reading and studying more about these things so that I'm confident about OCing here in Fayetteville. As far as my choice for EDC, I do plan on learning to build and customize my weapons because I find it interesting, already have technical skills (I'm a service technician in a dealership environment) it shouldn't be too difficult for me to adapt to it. Thanks again and don't worry, I love to ask questions so when I have another I'll be the first to bug everyone hah.

Almond.

dmatting

Download the flyer that Grape supplied a link to and take note of the references to both the general statutes and the court cases. You can look up all the general statutes referenced by visiting the North Carolina General Assembly homepage at:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/

On the right hand side of the page there are Shortcut links to the General Statutes. Click on those and you can search out the statutes of interest and read the actual law.