• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PA Supreme Court Erodes Liberty and Dumps of the PA Constitution

OC for ME

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - A recent ruling from Pennsylvania’s highest court could have a big impact on your privacy rights during a car stop.

Pennsylvania traditionally provided broader privacy protection than the US Constitution. For decades, police in the Commonwealth had to get obtain warrant from a judge before they could do a car search unless time was of the essence or the evidence could be lost or destroyed. But now, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s 4 to 2 decision in Commonwealth v. Gary changes the rule.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...no-longer-need-warrants-to-search-cars-in-pa/
Unfortunate, very unfortunate. Carry sterile will take on a whole new meaning in PA.....or should anyway.

MR. JUSTICE McCAFFERY

DECIDED: April 29, 2014

In this case, we again address the requirements in this Commonwealth for a warrantless search of a motor vehicle. After consideration of relevant federal and state law, we now hold that with respect to a warrantless search of a motor vehicle that is supported by probable cause, Article I, Section 8 of the Pennsylvania Constitution affords no greater protection than the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution. Accordingly, we adopt the federal automobile exception to the warrant requirement, which allows police officers to search a motor vehicle when there is probable cause to do so and does not require any exigency beyond the inherent mobility of a motor vehicle.

http://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinions/Supreme/out/J-5-2013oajc - 1017924602181959.pdf?cb=1

Security From Searches and Seizures

Section 8.

The people shall be secure in their persons, houses, papers and possessions from unreasonable searches and seizures, and no warrant to search any place or to seize any person or things shall issue without describing them as nearly as may be, nor without probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation subscribed by the affiant.
My sympathies to the good citizens of PA.

OC for ME

I even posted in that thread.

36_2_49.gif