Thread: I need to know the laws about guns

I need to know the laws about guns

Please someone help me out. What is the law about guns in Lees Summit Mo? My daughters dad was murdered Feb 1st 2014. From what I know Jason Starchman was not armed, and was shot in his back, mind you the .22 he was shot with was not registered to the man that had did the shooting either and he's not in jail, actually got out quicker than someone driving on revoked. So if anyone can explain it to me I would greatly appreciate it.. Thanks.

Welcome to OCDO Ms. Knold. I've flagged your post for a moderator to move it to the Missouri sub-forum. Gun laws are quite peculiar to each state. Be careful of personal details revealed here as they may prejudice subsequent legal proceedings. Best wishes. God Bless US Bitter Clingers
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Moved this to the Mo. sub-forum.

Condolences on your personal loss, very sad.

As noted, it is recommended that you hold specific details in close check; especially if any action is considered a possibility.

I don't know what your resources are, but having a private investigator look into the matter may well yield details. Also consider filing a FOIA request with the local authorities. You might also talk to the local persecutor to see if he/she can shed any light on this. Keep meticulous records.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Media coverage "Jason Starchman"

Jason K. Starchman, 29, of Kansas City, was killed Feb. 1 after what police officials said was a disturbance between Starchman and someone he knew in the front yard of a home in the 600 block of N.E. Meadow Lane. The suspect in the case surrendered to police without incident, but the suspect – a man believed to be in his 40s – was subsequently released pending further investigation. That man has not been charged in connection with Starchman’s death, so the case hasn’t been ruled a homicide.
    http://www.lsjournal.com/2014/05/07/...mit-hotel.html

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl=dbAWrMvemNJMEgM

NE MEADOW LN, 600 block, February 01, 2:00 AM, Murder 2nd http://cityofls.net/Police/Public-In...ry-3-2014.aspx
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-17-2014 at 09:05 AM.

Accomplished Advocate
    Sorry for your loss, these things can get twisted pretty sideways sometimes so I will refrain from a lot of comment.

RSMO 571.xxx are where the statutes are listed, these are the primary firearms statutes but other laws may apply.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c571.htm
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."

Banned
    OP can also check google scholar for some of the upper court's case law as well.

http://scholar.google.com/

Do you need to know about gun laws or homicide laws. it wasn't the gun that killed him.

Very few states have restrictive gun owner ship laws and fewer have registration laws.

Whether the gun was registered or not has nothing to do with his death.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Do you need to know about gun laws or homicide laws. it wasn't the gun that killed him.

Very few states have restrictive gun owner ship laws and fewer have registration laws.

Whether the gun was registered or not has nothing to do with his death.

I understand people do. I dont own a gun nor do I know the laws about them. Thats why I signed up on this site to see if someone could shed some light on the situation. I guess to learn something. . Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Knold View Post
    Please someone help me out. [ ... ] the .22 he was shot with was not registered to the man that had did the shooting [ ... ]
    Is the .22 pistol in hand, discovered by the cops? Guns are not registered in Missouri.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-17-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Is the .22 pistol in hand, discovered by the cops? Guns are not registered in Missouri.

When the officers showed up, it had already happened. So I would assume so.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Knold View Post
    [ ... ] So I would assume so.
    I'm afraid actions cannot be taken on assumptions. I think an attorney and his investigators are in order. Best wishes.

Sounds to me like the deceased was fighting with a third party. Pure conjecture on my part. But I'm basing it on the fact he was quickly released, no charges have been pursued yet and the wording of the article.

Seems like it may come down to defense of a third party. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Just the gut feeling I have.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Sounds to me like the deceased was fighting with a third party. Pure conjecture on my part. But I'm basing it on the fact he was quickly released, no charges have been pursued yet and the wording of the article.

Seems like it may come down to defense of a third party. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Just the gut feeling I have.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    Well there was 3 people there, Jason his sister and his sisters fiancee... his sister was not questiond the night it happen.. thanks everyone for your help!

Perhaps the laws which would be most pertinent are those pertaining to self defense or defense of another in MO. In general, use of lethal force is considered justified if a reasonable person would have been in fear of death or serious bodily injury of themselves or another at the hands of an aggressor. Not the aggressor does not have to be using a specific weapon. For example, an unarmed large male could be very threatening to a frail older woman.

The following may be of assistance http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c563.htm, in particular section 031

Considering that the shooting took place in early February, the suspect surrendered immediately, was released without charges filed, and there's no word of anything since, it appears on the surface that the DA feels it was justifiable, or that the suspect that was released was not the shooter, and they do not know who actually did it. News sites aren't very telling on details in cases like this, so there is very likely something that we are all missing (including you, given your choice of words).
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez