• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need to know the laws about guns

Megan Knold

Please someone help me out. What is the law about guns in Lees Summit Mo? My daughters dad was murdered Feb 1st 2014. From what I know Jason Starchman was not armed, and was shot in his back, mind you the .22 he was shot with was not registered to the man that had did the shooting either and he's not in jail, actually got out quicker than someone driving on revoked. So if anyone can explain it to me I would greatly appreciate it.. Thanks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moved this to the Mo. sub-forum.

Condolences on your personal loss, very sad.

As noted, it is recommended that you hold specific details in close check; especially if any action is considered a possibility.

I don't know what your resources are, but having a private investigator look into the matter may well yield details. Also consider filing a FOIA request with the local authorities. You might also talk to the local persecutor to see if he/she can shed any light on this. Keep meticulous records.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry for your loss, these things can get twisted pretty sideways sometimes so I will refrain from a lot of comment.

RSMO 571.xxx are where the statutes are listed, these are the primary firearms statutes but other laws may apply.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c571.htm

Firearms Iinstuctor

Do you need to know about gun laws or homicide laws. it wasn't the gun that killed him.

Very few states have restrictive gun owner ship laws and fewer have registration laws.

Whether the gun was registered or not has nothing to do with his death.

Megan Knold

Do you need to know about gun laws or homicide laws. it wasn't the gun that killed him.

Very few states have restrictive gun owner ship laws and fewer have registration laws.

Whether the gun was registered or not has nothing to do with his death.

I understand people do. I dont own a gun nor do I know the laws about them. Thats why I signed up on this site to see if someone could shed some light on the situation. I guess to learn something. . Thanks.

Jack House

Sounds to me like the deceased was fighting with a third party. Pure conjecture on my part. But I'm basing it on the fact he was quickly released, no charges have been pursued yet and the wording of the article.

Seems like it may come down to defense of a third party. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Just the gut feeling I have.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Megan Knold

Sounds to me like the deceased was fighting with a third party. Pure conjecture on my part. But I'm basing it on the fact he was quickly released, no charges have been pursued yet and the wording of the article.

Seems like it may come down to defense of a third party. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Just the gut feeling I have.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Well there was 3 people there, Jason his sister and his sisters fiancee... his sister was not questiond the night it happen.. thanks everyone for your help!

PeterNSteinmetz

Perhaps the laws which would be most pertinent are those pertaining to self defense or defense of another in MO. In general, use of lethal force is considered justified if a reasonable person would have been in fear of death or serious bodily injury of themselves or another at the hands of an aggressor. Not the aggressor does not have to be using a specific weapon. For example, an unarmed large male could be very threatening to a frail older woman.

Gallowmere

Considering that the shooting took place in early February, the suspect surrendered immediately, was released without charges filed, and there's no word of anything since, it appears on the surface that the DA feels it was justifiable, or that the suspect that was released was not the shooter, and they do not know who actually did it. News sites aren't very telling on details in cases like this, so there is very likely something that we are all missing (including you, given your choice of words).