• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Breakfast Tour May 24th

scouser

Who is narrating and where are we going? My husband can tell you I know a huge amount of stuff about nothing. Mostly Hollywood Cemetery. And parts of Richmond. : )

If you want to talk about Hollywood Cemetery that would be great. That's somewhere I'm a little rusty on

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Between here and the thread about the breakfast itself we have four (4) confirmed, five (5) absolutely positive maybes, plus two that are afraid to be trapped for any length of time with Grapeshot.

That leaves six (6) seats that are posilutely/absatively available.

Maybe if I tape a box of .22LR under one of the seats some other folks will sign up for the chance of sitting in that seat?:uhoh:

stay safe.

katenka

I have family (mom/grandmother) coming down from CT where Gov Malloy is a huge anti gunner.. They've both been to rallies on the pro stance side.. I will see if they are interested. We'd be using our own vehicle though.

:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have family (mom/grandmother) coming down from CT where Gov Malloy is a huge anti gunner.. They've both been to rallies on the pro stance side.. I will see if they are interested. We'd be using our own vehicle though.

:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkey

Could have a convoy - still need to fill up der seats on der bus though - it is only there that you will hear the running commentary.

scouser

Could Use FRS (Family Radio Service) Units to communicate between vehicles. :banana::D

well I don't have one, if anyone else has one they are welcome to hold it and try to translate what I say for people in remote vehicles to hear.

OR

they can read what Grapeshot said

Could have a convoy - still need to fill up der seats on der bus though - it is only there that you will hear the running commentary.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
This would be a great day. However, we will be visiting my parents in NC that weekend.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Could Use FRS (Family Radio Service) Units to communicate between vehicles. :banana::D

Excellent suggestion - have a pair of them
icon14.png

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Excellent suggestion - have a pair of them
icon14.png

Sorry, but the operation of amatuer-type radio devices is prohibited while the van is in motion.

You want to hear the commentary, you ride in the van.

However, the tour guide is allowed to summarize everything said when we stop and get out - as long as the summary is along the lines of "I told everybody about what we were passing, and some funny stories too. It's a shame you were not riding with us to hear it."

This is not the time to display rugged individualism. It is the time to come together in solidarity.

Scouser supposedly knows where all the clean restrooms are, and unlike some others who are going to taking the tour, does not have an unlimited gift of gab. Grapeshot gets really, really cranky if he is forced to sit on his bony backside for too long, so leg-stretching stops are being built into the itinerary. A few folks have already identified additional committments, which meand the tour will not be stretching out for hours and hours and hours. There's plenty of leg- and other-body-parts room so your general comfort should be much better than riding GRTC

At this point the only thing we are lacking -- besides riders -- is a stewardess and some cold sodas/packages of peanuts to pass out.

stay safe.

Liberty-or-Death

I'd like to see a tentative itemized itinerary with estimated start/stop times and a list of out-of-the-van stops posted. Knowing this up front may help get you some more commitments from fence-sitters.

μολών λαβέ

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd like to see a tentative itemized itinerary with estimated start/stop times and a list of out-of-the-van stops posted. Knowing this up front may help get you some more commitments from fence-sitters.

μολών λαβέ
Don't think the schedule is that hard and fast. Plenty of time to adapt as desired.

Suspect that the height of the trip will be the unannounced visit to the GAB - some at handicap entrance, those going through the metal detectors and those few that have special dispensation :D

scouser

start time - after breakfast
finish time - when we get back

we're not planning to storm beaches and retake a continent. I suggested the idea as a way of doing something together as a group with an out of state guest. It was tentative at best, but then skidmark delivered on the van so I said 'yes, I'll do it' and my original plans of sitting on a pier feeding the fish and drinking beer got canceled.

If people want to come along and do something as a group then you're more than welcome, but this isn't a school field trip so your parents don't need to know where you will be at every second therefore the itinery is "where we end up going in the order it appears".

You're also free to drive your own tour in your own vehicle but I'll ask this one question 'what's stopped you doing that before?'

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

μολών λαβέ

I was in the middle of a long and detailed response when Comcast decided to hiccup and knock me off. It was probably a good thing that happened.

Why is someonewho refuses to get on the van and join us even worried about possible fence-sitters?

stay safe.

Liberty-or-Death

Didn't know I had refused, Skid, I thought of myself as still on the fence. It was a selfish request to help me decide.
I suppose I should make apologies for my personality and explain my reticence. Ever seen Shane? He was always with his back to the wall and an eye on the nearest exits. I have a irrational fear of being trapped in social situations with no means of escape, even with people I like. Not because I was a gunslinger in a former life, but that's just how I'm wired.

μολών λαβέ

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Didn't know I had refused, Skid, I thought of myself as still on the fence. It was a selfish request to help me decide.
I suppose I should make apologies for my personality and explain my reticence. Ever seen Shane? He was always with his back to the wall and an eye on the nearest exits. I have a irrational fear of being trapped in social situations with no means of escape, even with people I like. Not because I was a gunslinger in a former life, but that's just how I'm wired.

μολών λαβέ

Fair enough. But I wonder if you had thought to inquire (publically or via PM) if it would be possible to accomodate your issues.

As the person making the van availabe, and thus in full legal control of it, I see no reason why we would not stop for "breathing space" or even turn around and return you to your vehicle if the request were made. Heck, I could be talked into letting you sit in the second row (where you could open the side door and bail out whenever you wanted to) just by you asking to have those seats.

Part of the purpose of the exercise is to promote fellowship among those who participate. I'm not sure how else I can assure you that we will "have your back" and will not trap you. Having an irrational fear is perfectly normal - just ask any of us about ours:uhoh:. (Well, except Scouser. Worrying that Liverpool United will lose is not irrational - it's a foregon conclusion.:p .)

How about if we forget everything before this and start again?

And if you know of any sites we should include (or exclude) feel free to speak up. This started as and will remain a free-form event. There are no penalties for doubling back on our way around the city.

stay safe.