• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC climate in Atlanta

independence

I am considering a possible relocation to the Atlanta area. I OC here in Tennessee daily but am curious what it's going to be like when I walk down the sidewalk of downtown Atlanta strapping or walk into a grocery store in the suburbs. Is there an active OC community there? Am I just going to be a 24/7 MWAG magnet?

Thanks!...

P.S. Why can't you carry in church in your state, for goodness sakes!? Gonna have to change that law or you'll make me crazy!... ;)

Fallschirjmäger

I'm sure you'd be welcomed on the GeorgiaPacking.Org forum.

We have a few OC get-togethers (barbeques, lunches, or Bill Signings) every year.

P.S. Why can't you carry in church in your state, for goodness sakes!? Gonna have to change that law or you'll make me crazy!
The unfortunate result of trying to keep the newly freed African slaves from organizing (along with the old prohibition against carrying at "public gatherings") or being able to protect themselves from the majority. Fortunately it's been improved a bit with the passage of House Bill 60. Starting on 01 July, churches will be able to determine for themselves if they want the congregation to be able to carry rather than having the government interfere in church policy. The default status is "no carry" unfortunately which doesn't entirely separate state from church. :banghead:

Last edited:

independence

We have a few OC get-togethers (barbeques, lunches, or Bill Signings) every year.

Cool, thanks! Checking it out...

The unfortunate result of trying to keep the newly freed African slaves from organizing (along with the old prohibition against carrying at "public gatherings") or being able to protect themselves from the majority.

Amen. Gun laws have always been used for oppression, especially against blacks.

Fortunately it's been improved a bit with the passage of House Bill 60. Starting on 01 July, churches will be able to determine for themselves if they want the congregation to be able to carry rather than having the government interfere in church policy. The default status is "no carry" unfortunately which doesn't entirely separate state from church. :banghead:

Excellent news!!!

Thanks for your post!...

Last edited:

aadvark

independence:

Just so You Know, House Bill 60 goes into Effect July. 1, 2014.

The Link to that Bill is here: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/144825.pdf

On that Day, and thereafter, The Decision to either Allow or Disallow Firearms within Churches will be Reserved to The Church Itself.

It will no longer be a Per Se Crime to Bring a Firearm into a Church, unless; The Church in Question Specifically Bans Firearms.

In that Case, a Violator is a License Holder would NOT be Subject to Arrest, but could be Fined a Civil Fine of not more than $100.

aadvark

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

The unfortunate result of trying to keep the newly freed African slaves from organizing (along with the old prohibition against carrying at "public gatherings") or being able to protect themselves from the majority. Fortunately it's been improved a bit with the passage of House Bill 60. Starting on 01 July, churches will be able to determine for themselves if they want the congregation to be able to carry rather than having the government interfere in church policy. The default status is "no carry" unfortunately which doesn't entirely separate state from church. :banghead:
Do Georgia Packing or Georgia Carry have a written response to the Governor's assertion that HB 60 has been superseded by a bill signed the next day? I seem to recall that the GA Attorney General weighed in in a similar manner.

Fallschirjmäger

Do Georgia Packing or Georgia Carry have a written response to the Governor's assertion that HB 60 has been superseded by a bill signed the next day? I seem to recall that the GA Attorney General weighed in in a similar manner.
Well, there's this one where it's being discussed both ways. I know John Monroe (JRM) requested a copy of the signature page indicating the date, and was told that it was missing (purely an oversight, I'm sure).

And there's article which speaks about it, and has a very telling quote in the last two lines....
John Monroe, vice president of Georgia Carry, said in a statement that the organization "will proceed with every effort to have this issue decided by the courts." Ed Stone, an attorney and a member of Georgia Carry's board of directors, said a challenge likely will come from someone prohibited from carrying a gun on school property.

"Obviously this will have to be settled in the courts," Stone said.

Deal said in a statement that he consulted with executive and legislative counsel to determine which bill to sign first because of overlapping provisions.

"I signed HB 60 after HB 826 to ensure the major substantive provisions in HB 60 became law. In doing so, any contradicting language was conflicted out in favor of the last bill signed."

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...And there's article which speaks about it, and has a very telling quote in the last two lines.......

Last two lines:
"I signed HB 60 after HB 826 to ensure the major substantive provisions in HB 60 became law. In doing so, any contradicting language was conflicted out in favor of the last bill signed."
I don't understand why the last two lines are "telling"?

Fallschirjmäger

I don't understand why the last two lines are "telling"?
There is some conflict between the two bills in that they both modify the same things.
There are two schools of thought, one is that whichever is most recent overrules any previous act, even if the previous act was signed years, months, weeks, or even days or hours earlier.
Gunn v. Balkcom, 228 Ga. 802, 188 S.E.2d 500 (1972),

The other school of thought is "..."inasmuch as both pieces of legislation were passed in the same session, we presume they are “ ‘imbued with the same spirit and actuated by the same policy, and they are to be construed together as parts of the same act.’

That is because “...it is the duty of courts, whenever possible, to construe acts passed by the same legislature, and approved at the same time, so as to make both valid and binding," ...
Rutter v. Rutter, 294 Ga. 1 (2013)..."

There is case law in Georgia going both ways.
Does that help in explaining why there is some controversy?

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...That is because “...it is the duty of courts, whenever possible, to construe acts passed by the same legislature, and approved at the same time, so as to make both valid and binding," ...
Rutter v. Rutter, 294 Ga. 1 (2013)..."

There is case law in Georgia going both ways.
Does that help in explaining why there is some controversy?
Definitely! Thanks much.

phil1979

The line I bolded below is in error. It will automatically still be a crime to carry in a church UNLESS the church's governing body specifically opts into the new law. It doesn't work the other way around. Also, upon conviction you are no longer are eligible for a license - meaning it will be revoked and you cannot apply again until three years pass. So a $100 fine is not all you need to be concerned with.

independence:

Just so You Know, House Bill 60 goes into Effect July. 1, 2014.

The Link to that Bill is here: http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/144825.pdf

On that Day, and thereafter, The Decision to either Allow or Disallow Firearms within Churches will be Reserved to The Church Itself.

It will no longer be a Per Se Crime to Bring a Firearm into a Church, unless; The Church in Question Specifically Bans Firearms.

In that Case, a Violator is a License Holder would NOT be Subject to Arrest, but could be Fined a Civil Fine of not more than $100.

aadvark