• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone fired for OCing outside of work?

independence

I'm curious if anyone here has ever had their employer find out that they OC outside of work and what the outcome was. I know some of you have been in the news, etc. Did your employer see you on the news and freak out or terminate you? Have you ever had a chance encounter outside of work where you unexpectedly saw your boss or coworker at the store or something? Were there negative consequences?

Jamesm760

Well... In my department, everyone is pro gun. Everyone knows I OC. I have gone shooting with a couple of my co-workers. My supervisor is pro gun. The company I work for is Pro gun and OC friendly. I don't think I would have a problem if anyone that works for the company sees me outside of work OCing... Besides, what happens when I’m not at work is non of their business. ;)

JoeSparky

Centurion
I've gone to several work sponsored activities not at the hospital where I work open carrying Over the last 5 years without incident.

My employer does have a policy so strict that ammo alone supposedly can get one terminated if at the workplace

Gil223

Terminating someone for OC'ing outside the workplace sounds like an open ticket for a law suit based upon wrongful termination. If it happened to me, I would make sure I sued for enough to keep me in beans for a LONG time, though. Employers have a way of getting back at their workers when they are poked in the eye by them. Pax...

JoeSparky

Centurion
Terminating someone for OC'ing outside the workplace sounds like an open ticket for a law suit based upon wrongful termination. If it happened to me, I would make sure I sued for enough to keep me in beans for a LONG time, though. Employers have a way of getting back at their workers when they are poked in the eye by them. Pax...
Utah is a Hire/Fire at will State. One can be fired for almost ANY reason and it would be very surprising to have a large employer in Utah let an employee go and make the mistake of specifying a reason one could base a suit upon for wrongful termination! One may truly be terminated for a reason that would cause the former employer to loose almost any suit, but that isn't the reason one is given for their termination, IF THEY ARE EVEN GIVEN A REASON!

davidmcbeth

Banned

Your are free to sue and I would like for an exception to the at will doctrine for such ... it would make out RKBA to be also a civil right !

Logan 5

You might be able to sue, but the employer can fire you for just about anything. They really don't have to tell you, either. "David, your work looks like crap. You're fired." End of story.

Logan 5

This is what I got-

C'mon, you know the answer to this. Barring a state, Federal county or municipal law that expressly says otherwise, you can be fired because the day of the week ends in Y, even if there has been no prior discussion.

There are a handful of states which do not permit an employee to be fired because of an action that is legal. While that is generally applied to smoking/non-smoking I imagine it would apply here too. In states that do not have such a law, yes, you could be fired for open carry, even if there has been no previous discussion on the topic.

Gil223

Utah is a Hire/Fire at will State. One can be fired for almost ANY reason and it would be very surprising to have a large employer in Utah let an employee go and make the mistake of specifying a reason one could base a suit upon for wrongful termination! One may truly be terminated for a reason that would cause the former employer to loose almost any suit, but that isn't the reason one is given for their termination, IF THEY ARE EVEN GIVEN A REASON!
The question was not posed by someone in Utah, it came from Tennessee. It is difficult to imagine that any court would rule in favor of a company that fired someone for engaging in legal activities outside of the workplace. They always indemnify UNION employees on-strike. Pax...

Yard Sale

I was not fired but I had the head of security (of a large multi-national corporation) and the local head of security pay me a surprise visit and tell me an "employee" had seen me carrying a "a gun" "in the building." When? What building? Um, er, ah... This was two days after I appeared in court and a cop made a death threat on behalf of his police department. He and the other cops at court knew I carried. It was a pretty lame attempt at getting me fired.

Gallowmere

Ehhh...no. I OC AT work, with the blessing of upper management. Man...I keep finding more and more reasons to love the people that I work for.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The question was not posed by someone in Utah, it came from Tennessee. It is difficult to imagine that any court would rule in favor of a company that fired someone for engaging in legal activities outside of the workplace. They always indemnify UNION employees on-strike. Pax...

I had assumed you were responding to my statement and since you too are from Utah as well as I, l responded as I did.

Logan 5

Gil, you have difficulty understanding what was said, so I'll repeat it for you-

Barring a state, federal, county or municipal law that expressly says otherwise, you can be fired because the sun rose or there were clouds in the sky, even if there has been no prior discussion.

There are a handful of states which do not permit an employee to be fired because of an action that is legal.

While that is generally applied to smoking/non-smoking it is possible it would apply here too.

In states that do not have such a law, yes, you could be fired for open carry, even if there has been no previous discussion on the topic.

If you think this is Utah only, call your state labor commission and see what they say. Or call the federal EEOC and see what they say. Or better yet go hire a lawyer and see what they say.