• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Typical day in the life of an OCT event

stealthyeliminator

There are many threads on here highlighting negative encounters between police and OCT members. I just wanted to take the time to tell you all what a typical day is like at an OCT event.

A group recently planned a short event. They'd eat at a local restaurant, then walk to a nearby intersection to hand out pamphlets.

So, everything begins smoothly. While one is ordering his food, a gentleman strikes up a conversation. "What kind of rifle is that?" The topic shifts around between the goal of OCT, ammo prices, the country (rural), etc.

They're sitting in the restaurant, eating their food. A few customers, after being in the restaurant for some time already, having already ordered and received their food, decide to go call the police. They make little effort to hide it.

In walk two police officers. With a smile on his face, the officer reaches his hand out to the closest gun-toter to shake and then makes some comment about having to come out since they received a call. Almost immediately, they say hang on just a second, and disengage the conversation with the gun-toters to go and talk to the other customers. They make their way around the room, explaining to each group of customers after the other the legality of the group's actions. While some customers are a little perturbed that their police call is not resulting in the punishment or ejection of the OCT members, one customer pipes up over the other conversations to say he doesn't have a problem with it. The officers then make their way out the door, about 2 minutes after walking in, shaking hands with a few OCT members on their way out. The OCT members offer pamphlets to the other patrons in the restaurant to try and explain their purpose with carrying rifles. Some are more receptive than others, one woman making the comment, in response to the explanation that OCT is trying to reach the goal of carrying handguns instead of rifles, that she would rather not see it at all, referring to any firearm in public. As the OCT members finish eating, they go grab some photos with the restaurant staff, and head out to the road.

Being sure to keep traffic safety in mind, they begin handing out pamphlets at the intersection. Also being mindful that many, if not most people, are conditioned to "hate" people at intersections, because they're almost always asking for something instead of handing something out, they try to read someone's interest before approaching their vehicle. A quick head shake yes or no is often given to indicate whether they are willing to receive a pamphlet. Some simply shout out their window or honk their horn in support. Some try to offer donations. Some pull into the nearby parking lots to have conversations. At one point an officer stops by one of the members on one of the sides of the intersection. Unfortunately, the business on that corner called the police to ask if there was anything he could do to put an end to the OCT member handing out pamphlets. Thankfully the officer is aware of the applicable laws and is honorable to apply them to the situation accurately. He simply instructs the OCT member to stay as close to the road as possible, as to stay on the right away and off of the private property of the business. They then chat about guns and carry rights a little while and the officer departs. The officer makes the comment that he would have no complaints should constitutional carry be passed.

Several hours pass and the group is running low on pamphlets. They decide to pack it up. As they're walking back to their vehicles, a reporter pulls up. The reporter is one that listens to police radio traffic and responds to cover incidents that occur. Hearing that there are quite a number of calls regarding the OCT the members he heads their way. He takes some information on the group and they all depart.

That's a typical day in the life of an OCT event. No one was frightened*. No one got hurt. No one was detained. No one was arrested. No one said a curse word at a police officer. No one chanted anti-government sayings. No one hid from sight. The typical day in the life of an OCT event is a good, good day.

*Some might argue that those who called the police in the restaurant were frightened. I think not, else they would not have remained seated 4 feet away. They were not frightened, they simply did not like what they saw, and desired to use coercion to put an end to it. With an honorable police force, though, their use of force was cut short by good principle and accurate application of law.

sheepdog

...tell us where and what Dept. that we might shower them with praise as eagerly as we vilify those who misbehave...this one would have made one fine video!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
It doesn't have momma in the story. Or trains. Or prison. Or getting drunk. Or trucks.

Otherwise, a perfect story.

Last edited:

sheepdog

...not QUITE perfect...perfect would be if the dispatcher had told those who called 911 to MYOB...that nothing they reported was anything but normal and legal...

stealthyeliminator

All true, not perfect. In actuality, I probably made it sound worse than it really was by trying to be brief. And also in actuality, that was the most police interaction we've had on any of the walks that I've participated in. We have had walks with no police interaction at all.

I am not sure how the calls to the police actually went. I am considering doing a records request to see if there's anything we can learn from them as far as if there's anything we can do to help PR. But I heard that there were at least 6 calls, and we did not have 6 interactions, so clearly they did not feel the need to make contact for every call.

But, primarily I simply wish to make it known that the typical OCT walk or gathering completes without any issues to speak of. I would hate for someone unfamiliar to get the wrong idea that we're always butting heads with the public or the police, because that is absolutely not the case.

If you join the Open Carry Texas group on Facebook you can see a short video showing the officers leaving and then a picture of the group with the staff at Arby's.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Oct

"The reporter is one that listens to police radio traffic and responds to cover incidents that occur. Hearing that there are quite a number of calls regarding the OCT the members he heads their way. He takes some information on the group and they all depart."

Did the reporter follow through and have his story published/aired?

Not often do you see non-events in the media as it seemingly violates Journalism Rule #1:
"If it bleeds it leads."

Good work.

garf12

I am not sure how the calls to the police actually went. I am considering doing a records request to see if there's anything we can learn from them as far as if there's anything we can do to help PR. But I heard that there were at least 6 calls, and we did not have 6 interactions, so clearly they did not feel the need to make contact for every call.

I am the reporter who interviewed you. Noticed traffic coming from here and found this post.

here is some of the radio traffic - https://soundcloud.com/field-walsh/cc-mixdown

there was one more where the cop said if they got anymore calls just give him the persons number and he would call them and tell them what was going on.

Last edited:

Vader33

This sounds eerily familiar to the recent OCT event at a Dallas Chipotle, only apparently the results were different. I'm up in Commie-rado, so I only saw that story via the "Legally Armed and Proud of It" feed on Facebook. Can anyone shed better light on what happened in Dallas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rushcreek2

Successful marketing derives from knowledge of the marketplace's preferences ...and respecting same.

The "marketplace" is not ready to accommodate this "assault rifle" carry concept.

Successful open carry at any level requires some sensitive to the "marketplace".

I fully understand the reason for the long gun carry effort in Texas....BUT..........

I have pondered whether replacing the AR/AK's with lever-action .30/.30's, pump shotguns.....and less emotionally charged firearms might help improve the image of OCT...but still......90 % of people are not comfortable with even that.

I am convinced that this effort is alienating more people than it is recruiting to the cause.

You do not change attitudes, and behavior by introducing EXTREMES.

Subtlety ........brevity of exposure .......in other words smaller dosages ........introduced can more effectively desensitize people to the message.

stealthyeliminator

Successful marketing derives from knowledge of the marketplace's preferences ...and respecting same.

The "marketplace" is not ready to accommodate this "assault rifle" carry concept.

Successful open carry at any level requires some sensitive to the "marketplace".

I fully understand the reason for the long gun carry effort in Texas....BUT..........

I have pondered whether replacing the AR/AK's with lever-action .30/.30's, pump shotguns.....and less emotionally charged firearms might help improve the image of OCT...but still......90 % of people are not comfortable with even that.

I am convinced that this effort is alienating more people than it is recruiting to the cause.

You do not change attitudes, and behavior by introducing EXTREMES.

Subtlety ........brevity of exposure .......in other words smaller dosages ........introduced can more effectively desensitize people to the message.

IMO, probably not. OC in Texas will be viciously attacked by MDA whether it's grandpa's old rifle, or a black powder replica revolver, or a modern handgun. They will tell the same lies in response to any carry or any carry method.

I am not an OCT spokesperson but I believe that OCT is aware of the effectual results of long gun OC in some chain restaurants, and despite what some may believe, is capable of and willing to adjust efforts to get better results. The only thing OCT will NOT do is sit on our asses like the majority of the "gun crowd" that has allowed Texas legislature to suppress the right to keep and bear arms in the form of a handgun prohibition since immediately following the civil ******* war. Small adjustments to OC events to avoid repeatable less-than-desirable consequences? Sure. Lock up the long guns in the safe and resort to playing keyboard commando so that we don't upset a liberal corporation or the MDA? Hell no.

I believe the majority of people who strongly oppose OC of rifles are not in the least OK with handgun open carry, despite what the butters would have you think. It's not like if we switched from OCing rifles to OCing handguns all of a sudden they'd be ok with us. They'll still hate us. They'll still feel anger towards us. And they'll still wish to use force against us and do us harm.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Forgot to mention (don't know how) that George Lavender drove by us. Said something along the lines of thanks and keep up the good work. I wish he made the primaries, I'm kicking myself for not making it to vote in them. They don't advertise it nearly enough, I think.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
...tell us where and what Dept. that we might shower them with praise as eagerly as we vilify those who misbehave...this one would have made one fine video!!!

Try to keep in mind that not all department HEADS are friendly to OC, and the officers responsible for acting decent could be vilified, punished, or even fired for daring to be decent in a den of corruption...

I got an Officer fired in GA for praising his decency. Yeah, me, saying good things about a cop, whoda thunk it? But seriously, I feel terrible every day.

The cops on the street might be decnt, but the scum behind the desks might not see it that way...

IT's a sad state of affairs taht you can only feel safe reporting the negative events... But how else do they make us look like rabid cop haters? Fire the cop every time there's a good video on youtube, and you'll only post the bad ones. Cute game these tyrants play...