• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do?

Logan 5

Seriously. What would you do (or not do) if you witnessed a crime?

1. You're walking down the street and you see a black kid mug an old woman.

2. You're walking down the street and you see two cops mace and body slam a man in a wheelchair.

3. You're in the park and you see a man beating his wife.

4. ...That man turns out to be a city councilman.

5. You're out in your yard and you witness a drug bust. Cops use dynamic entry, rip the place apart, and end up shooting the owner. Except it turns out it was the wrong address, the owner is a 93 year old man and he had no weapons. Or drugs.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do I have my cellphone with me? Because I'm going to try to be the best possible witness I can be.

Please Google up my previous rants on the "sheepdog" sheepdip. I am not a cop. I don't want to be a cop.

Scenario #1 might warrant intervention, but by the time I got to where it was taking place that most likely would be offering first aid and summoning EMS and the cops to do their thing.

Scenario #2 is missing all sorts of information. I have dealt professionally (Dept of Corrections) with folks in wheelchairs who were armed and intent on causing hurt/death. In other words - a) there might be a good reason for the behavior of the cops and b) I can be more helpful as a witness than as someone arrested for obstruction of justice.

Scenario #3 is much like scenario #1. Plus, you do not know if the man is actually defending himself from an attack initiated by the woman, do you?

Scenario #4 is a red herring. I cannot have herrings of any type - doctors say they are not good for me. But especially that red herrings are not good.

Scenario #5 makes me wonder just what you might be thinking of doing - going up against a platoon of ninjas with automatic weapons?

Just for fun, how about I add some details and you tell us how you would then respond? You are a single parent with an 8-month old and a 3-year old, and even though you have a decent job that pays a decent wage you have no more than about a week's worth of expenses saved in the bank (actually, sitting in your checking account). Now what would your responses be?

stay safe.

Jeff. State

Banned
Seriously. What would you do (or not do) if you witnessed a crime?

2. You're walking down the street and you see two cops mace and body slam a man in a wheelchair.

5. You're out in your yard and you witness a drug bust. Cops use dynamic entry, rip the place apart, and end up shooting the owner. Except it turns out it was the wrong address, the owner is a 93 year old man and he had no weapons. Or drugs.

History has already shown us 99.99% of Ameikans would do nothing.

Logan 5

I'd call 911 and help the old lady until the coppers get there.

I was thinking of a specific case from WDC (I thought before it was Cleveland or Cincin, but it was WDC), where two cops did that. The initial video showed what looked like justification, yet in a second camera different angle, the guy did nothing. In a case like that, if I had been watching it from the beginning, I'd step in.

I'd call the coppers.

I'd file a grievance for misconduct.

5. You're out in your yard and you witness a drug bust. Cops use dynamic entry, rip the place apart, and end up shooting the owner. Except it turns out it was the wrong address, the owner is a 93 year old man and he had no weapons. Or drugs.[/QUOTE]
Not enough details for even me. Sorry about that.

Do I have my cellphone with me? Because I'm going to try to be the best possible witness I can be.
Exactly.

Just for fun, how about I add some details and you tell us how you would then respond? You are a single parent with an 8-month old and a 3-year old, and even though you have a decent job that pays a decent wage you have no more than about a week's worth of expenses saved in the bank (actually, sitting in your checking account). Now what would your responses be?

stay safe.

Get a second job.

OC for ME

The last thing I'd ever do is intercede on a citizen's behalf when he is getting "roughed up" by a couple of cops. If I did, it would most certainly be the last thing I ever did.

The rest of the list is pretty much wrong place wrong time stuff. Be the best witness you can be without placing yourself in any danger of bodily harm.

Time, distance, and shielding.

Logan 5

Logan 5, why the race reference in scenario 1? Would you expect one's choice of action to change depending in race of alleged attacker?
Just hoping to open a discussion the questions. Lots of spots to question and debate.

SFCRetired

I carry my firearm to protect myself and my family. I do not carry it to protect others. My late wife, God rest her soul, was married to a man in law enforcement for some years. She told me, in no uncertain terms, "It is a bad, bad idea for even a cop to attempt to police his own neighborhood." She added that the best thing to do is call 911, observe, and document so as to be the best witness possible.

Only as a last resort would I intervene in a situation. I am not a cop, I do not have backup, and I may not have assessed the situation properly. If police are involved, I am going to document, but remain out of sight of the officers. I have no desire to have my recording device confiscated, the video/audio deleted, or the device destroyed. Yes, those things do happen.

I will also add that, if it is a case such as numbers 2 and 5, I will not file a complaint directly with the agency involved nor will I turn my evidence directly over to them. Instead, I will engage an attorney, work through him/her, and only release a certified copy of the evidence, not the original, depending, of course, on the attorney's advice.

stealthyeliminator

In all cases I'd react with an effort to protect life in accordance with state law, followed by an effort to alert law enforcement to respond for investigation and apprehension of the criminal(s).