• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sky Harbor Airport: Random Vehicle Searches???

The Trickster

This is double speak! The signs needed to say then per the response: If you continue past this point - you agree to be searched. They also need to cite the law they are referring to. I am sure it is in place, and this only goes to show how much we are starting to resemble a banana republic. :(

I love how they think they can adopt a policy, hang up a couple signs, and then the 4th Amendment becomes null and void. Even at the DUI and Border Patrol roadblocks, they still need PC to conduct a search without consent; Sky Harbor isn't some special place just because the TSA/DHS say so. :banghead:

johnfenter

Not just a policy...

I love how they think they can adopt a policy, hang up a couple signs, and then the 4th Amendment becomes null and void. Even at the DUI and Border Patrol roadblocks, they still need PC to conduct a search without consent; Sky Harbor isn't some special place just because the TSA/DHS say so. :banghead:

This is part of the Patriot Act; it's incorporated into the way the airport security is run under the CFR for transportation. Specifically, 49CFR sections 1542.301 and 303. AND, the Airport Security Plans and Directives are classified SSI (Sensitive Security Information), so you're not allowed to see the authority under which they search your vehicle. The REAL question is what happens when you refuse the search and demand to turn around and leave.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...1.3.5.10;idno=49;cc=ecfr#49:9.1.3.5.10.4.10.2

FreeInAZ

This is part of the Patriot Act; it's incorporated into the way the airport security is run under the CFR for transportation. Specifically, 49CFR sections 1542.301 and 303. AND, the Airport Security Plans and Directives are classified SSI (Sensitive Security Information), so you're not allowed to see the authority under which they search your vehicle. The REAL question is what happens when you refuse the search and demand to turn around and leave.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...ity". :( Sad state of affairs these days...

The Trickster

I simply do not understand why these agencies believe they can circumvent the Constitution, in this case the 4th Amendment, by coming up with lesser laws that clearly contradict the supreme law of our country. Roadblocks/searches without suspicion of individualized criminal activity, "free speech zones," etc.; government needs to stop such cherry-picking nonsense and do what it expects from us: actually follow the law.

PavePusher

Because Congress, in their blind, insane fear as prime targets, said they could do it. It has nothing to do with public safety, and everything to do with their personal safety.

I simply do not understand why these agencies believe they can circumvent the Constitution, in this case the 4th Amendment, by coming up with lesser laws that clearly contradict the supreme law of our country. Roadblocks/searches without suspicion of individualized criminal activity, "free speech zones," etc.; government needs to stop such cherry-picking nonsense and do what it expects from us: actually follow the law.

davesnothere

Heh, I remember that DKos diary, It was shortly before I got booted from the place.....

I was booted years ago. I followed the rules, I avoided ad hominem attacks, and I made reasoned arguments in the comment threads. I was banned by MM himself long ago when he ran the place and was the primary poster of content. Now he runs the place in name only, and there is no more place for reasoned arguments. It used to be a misguided, but decent, site. Now it's just a far-left-wing echo chamber.

Last edited: