• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Someone else explains why OCing is good

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/05/daniel-zimmerman/p320-entry-open-carry-time/

By Paul Brown

I can still remember the first time I saw a non-law-enforcement, non-military open carrier. It was at a Five Guys Burgers and Fries, and the guy was carrying a, full-size .357 magnum in a brown, leather holster on his right hip. I have always been a supporter of the right to keep and bear arms and though I had just recently moved to Virginia, I was also familiar with the laws surrounding firearms so I wasn’t that surprised (or shocked). Still there was an impact, a positive one, and this is why . . .

I would not have personally been weirded out by a guy carrying a gun. Not only had I been exposed to firearms by my parents since before I could walk, but I also served for five years in the United States Marine Corps, where I grew incredibly used to the presence of firearms virtually all the time.

But despite my own level of comfort I had always wondered about how others would feel about carrying a gun in public…gasp! After all, I didn’t want to scare anyone, or get the police called on me.

Everyone appeared to be fine though. It was a fairly crowded restaurant and people didn’t even seem to notice. If they had noticed they certainly didn’t seem to care. It opened my eyes. It would be several months from that point before I would ever open carry, but the seed was planted. This is something I can do safely, without scaring the masses, and without going to prison. And it’s something you can do too (some restrictions apply, please check on your local laws).

But more than that, it’s something you should do. And this is why.

With the recent changes in the law in Georgia along with an all-time high in national attention to all things gun-related, the antis are throwing everything they’ve got at us, most recently targeting open carry. Maybe it’s just something that is so absolutely scary and absurd to them that they feel like they must go after it, or maybe they realize what a powerful tool it is in our favor. If it’s the latter they may be right. Let me explain.

Sweeping, radical changes in society are pushed by effective, powerful information campaigns and propaganda. When ideas are offensive to large swaths of society, sometimes the best way to change people’s perceptions is to normalize the subject through constant exposure to it. The civil rights movement did not move forward because proponents for equal rights stayed in the shadows. It moved forward because people refused not to be seen. They refused to be ignored. They sat at the front of busses, they sat in restaurants, they attended universities, and they were seen. Look at the gay rights movement over the last several decades. Being gay has gone from being something that could likely get you fired from your job to something that will likely get you fired from your job for expressing your own opposition.

Fun fact: These movements were not driven by legislation. They drove legislation. These movements were driven by familiarization and normalization through exposure.

Hello, choir. Thought you might like to read this and then pass it along.

stay safe.

Chief Ten Beers

Thanks for posting this. I went to the link and copied and pasted and saved, printed it out, punched three holes and put it in my "Open Carry" binder. :monkey

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The reason the anti forces are going after open carry in restaurants and other businesses is because they see a chink in our armor. They read, they see what is happening in other parts of the country and they clearly see the division among our own kind... between those who CC an those who OC. Divided we fall much more easily. And if they can get businesses to help things along, they will. That is not stupid. One should never underestimate their enemy. These people know what they're doing and how to turn things around to a fair degree.

FTG-05

Yea, the OC Fudds want us to stay in the back of the bus or better yet, in the closet. Witness their viotriol(sp) with the recent OCTX incident. :banghead:

Let them continue to get "outraged", I could care less. I'm not hiding anymore.

sudden valley gunner

The reason the anti forces are going after open carry in restaurants and other businesses is because they see a chink in our armor. They read, they see what is happening in other parts of the country and they clearly see the division among our own kind... between those who CC an those who OC. Divided we fall much more easily. And if they can get businesses to help things along, they will. That is not stupid. One should never underestimate their enemy. These people know what they're doing and how to turn things around to a fair degree.

+1 Wise words to consider.