Thread: Gun safety tips. Tune up your gun handling.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar

Gun safety tips. Tune up your gun handling.

Below is a link that addresses some common gun safety infractions. I think we've all been guilty of a few of these at times.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tun...-gun-handling/
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Speak for yourself - only.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Am I reading that link right?

Does that say CONCEALED carry???

"The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Am I reading that link right?

Does that say CONCEALED carry???

Yes, because that is what is important. Not the safety message, but that it came from a concealed site. I'll see if I can't find the same information with the same pictures, but...from an "open" site as to not boggle your mind too badly. Miss the forest for the trees very often?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Speak for yourself - only.
    I meant all of us except for you, Nightmare. We all know that you came out of the box perfectly and have never made a mistake. No one is doubting that.

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    Yes, because that is what is important. Not the safety message, but that it came from a concealed site. I'll see if I can't find the same information with the same pictures, but...from an "open" site as to not boggle your mind too badly. Miss the forest for the trees very often?
    It was a joke. If the didn't give it away.

I could care less what website its from I'm sure its good info.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "The wicked flee when no man persueth: but the righteous are as bold as a lion" Proverbs 28:1

Good reminders.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    It was a joke. If the didn't give it away.

I could care less what website its from I'm sure its good info.

Some people do have a nasty habit of whipping it out to see who's is bigger. Sorry I misunderstood. It is good info. It's "day 1" stuff, but a lot of people that visit OCDO are on day 1, so it never hurts to share and educate.

n.

Some people do have a nasty habit of whipping it out to see who's is bigger. Sorry I misunderstood. It is good info. It's "day 1" stuff, but a lot of people that visit OCDO are on day 1, so it never hurts to share and educate.
    Not need for apologies we are good. I understand why you would think that with the divisions and bickering that occurs.

I agree, basics are always good to go over every once in a while even if you carry everyday and have been for a long time.

I meant all of us except for you, Nightmare. We all know that you came out of the box perfectly and have never made a mistake. No one is doubting that.
    How about this; when I was 52 years old, I was taught, observed and corrected, by Jeff Cooper, briefly but closely, as a friend, at his Eightieth Birthday celebration at the Mid-Carolina Rifle Club near Orangeburg, SC. Our course of fire was of gentlemen enjoying each others skill with the M1911. He was a gentleman's gentleman.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    How about this; when I was 52 years old, I was taught, observed and corrected, by Jeff Cooper, briefly but closely, as a friend, at his Eightieth Birthday celebration at the Mid-Carolina Rifle Club near Orangeburg, SC. Our course of fire was of gentlemen enjoying each others skill with the M1911. He was a gentleman's gentleman.
    I'd say that is a story that I am envious of. I've read his book Principles of Personal Defense.
    Last edited by self preservation; 05-19-2014 at 07:04 PM.

n.

A good safety reminder.

It is nice to know that there are perfect people among us.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Out of all of these, the only one that I feel is a bit ridiculous is "the barrel looker". Call me "unsafe", but when I have verified that the chamber is clear, the magazine is out, and the slide lock is engaged, I am not field stripping the damned gun, just to check for an obstruction. I've also used this method, with a flashlight, to check the rifling and barrel condition of used guns being considered for purchase (especially rifles), as most salesmen tend to get a bit pissy if you want to start disassembling their stock. True, there is no such thing as "an unloaded gun", but I am quite confident in my own ability to not be retarded. Feel free to show up and laugh at my funeral though, if I one day manage to shoot myself in the face with a gun that's been thrice checked for daylight.
    "Now, why believe in anything they praise,
    When one hand holds them the victor,
    While the other holds the shovel to their graves?"
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    Out of all of these, the only one that I feel is a bit ridiculous is "the barrel looker". Call me "unsafe", but when I have verified that the chamber is clear, the magazine is out, and the slide lock is engaged, I am not field stripping the damned gun, just to check for an obstruction. I've also used this method, with a flashlight, to check the rifling and barrel condition of used guns being considered for purchase (especially rifles), as most salesmen tend to get a bit pissy if you want to start disassembling their stock. True, there is no such thing as "an unloaded gun", but I am quite confident in my own ability to not be retarded. Feel free to show up and laugh at my funeral though, if I one day manage to shoot myself in the face with a gun that's been thrice checked for daylight.
    I think the article referred to looking down the barrel without ensuring it cannot fire.

@self preservation: tone is difficult to convey over wires and fiberoptic cables causing text to appear on a screen in front of someone hundreds of miles away. I try to err on the side of overusing emoticons in an attempt to ensure nobody takes my posts in the wrong context. Doesn't always work though.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    I think the article referred to looking down the barrel without ensuring it cannot fire.

@self preservation: tone is difficult to convey over wires and fiberoptic cables causing text to appear on a screen in front of someone hundreds of miles away. I try to err on the side of overusing emoticons in an attempt to ensure nobody takes my posts in the wrong context. Doesn't always work though.
    You may be correct, but the article didn't really specify, so it sounded like a "never ever ever do this" kind of thing. I put nothing past the internet anymore. I've seen dolts talking badly about people they've seen doing barrel inspections in gun stores. "LoL, noob's gonna shoot himself in the head one day." Christ, people are idiots...I hate the internet more every day. O_O
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Banned
    The majority of the safety concerns in the article are self-correcting. The operator would likely not have the same issue more than once.

Darwin's law will handle most of these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The majority of the safety concerns in the article are self-correcting. The operator would likely not have the same issue more than once.

Darwin's law will handle most of these issues.
    The same could be said of much of the rot of society. Nature has many filters in place...humans just keep poking holes in them.
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    SNIP...Nature has many filters in place...humans just keep poking holes in them.
    This needs to be an illustrated shirt.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    This needs to be an illustrated shirt.
    I don't think it would be possible to properly illustrate, without offending a whoooole lot of people...probably 85+% of those alive. Everyone seems to have that one relative, that they love dearly, that the gene pool would certainly be better without.
    ~~~Claudio Sanchez