• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun safety tips. Tune up your gun handling.

self preservation

Am I reading that link right?

Does that say CONCEALED carry???

:D

Yes, because that is what is important. Not the safety message, but that it came from a concealed site. I'll see if I can't find the same information with the same pictures, but...from an "open" site as to not boggle your mind too badly. Miss the forest for the trees very often?

Primus

Yes, because that is what is important. Not the safety message, but that it came from a concealed site. I'll see if I can't find the same information with the same pictures, but...from an "open" site as to not boggle your mind too badly. Miss the forest for the trees very often?

It was a joke. If the :D didn't give it away.

I could care less what website its from I'm sure its good info.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

self preservation

It was a joke. If the :D didn't give it away.

I could care less what website its from I'm sure its good info.

Some people do have a nasty habit of whipping it out to see who's is bigger. Sorry I misunderstood. It is good info. It's "day 1" stuff, but a lot of people that visit OCDO are on day 1, so it never hurts to share and educate.

Primus

Some people do have a nasty habit of whipping it out to see who's is bigger. Sorry I misunderstood. It is good info. It's "day 1" stuff, but a lot of people that visit OCDO are on day 1, so it never hurts to share and educate.

Not need for apologies we are good. I understand why you would think that with the divisions and bickering that occurs.

I agree, basics are always good to go over every once in a while even if you carry everyday and have been for a long time.

self preservation

How about this; when I was 52 years old, I was taught, observed and corrected, by Jeff Cooper, briefly but closely, as a friend, at his Eightieth Birthday celebration at the Mid-Carolina Rifle Club near Orangeburg, SC. Our course of fire was of gentlemen enjoying each others skill with the M1911. He was a gentleman's gentleman.

I'd say that is a story that I am envious of. I've read his book Principles of Personal Defense.

Last edited:

Gallowmere

Out of all of these, the only one that I feel is a bit ridiculous is "the barrel looker". Call me "unsafe", but when I have verified that the chamber is clear, the magazine is out, and the slide lock is engaged, I am not field stripping the damned gun, just to check for an obstruction. I've also used this method, with a flashlight, to check the rifling and barrel condition of used guns being considered for purchase (especially rifles), as most salesmen tend to get a bit pissy if you want to start disassembling their stock. True, there is no such thing as "an unloaded gun", but I am quite confident in my own ability to not be retarded. Feel free to show up and laugh at my funeral though, if I one day manage to shoot myself in the face with a gun that's been thrice checked for daylight.

Rusty Young Man

Out of all of these, the only one that I feel is a bit ridiculous is "the barrel looker". Call me "unsafe", but when I have verified that the chamber is clear, the magazine is out, and the slide lock is engaged, I am not field stripping the damned gun, just to check for an obstruction. I've also used this method, with a flashlight, to check the rifling and barrel condition of used guns being considered for purchase (especially rifles), as most salesmen tend to get a bit pissy if you want to start disassembling their stock. True, there is no such thing as "an unloaded gun", but I am quite confident in my own ability to not be retarded. Feel free to show up and laugh at my funeral though, if I one day manage to shoot myself in the face with a gun that's been thrice checked for daylight.

I think the article referred to looking down the barrel without ensuring it cannot fire.:)

@self preservation: tone is difficult to convey over wires and fiberoptic cables causing text to appear on a screen in front of someone hundreds of miles away.:D I try to err on the side of overusing emoticons in an attempt to ensure nobody takes my posts in the wrong context.:) Doesn't always work though.:(

Gallowmere

I think the article referred to looking down the barrel without ensuring it cannot fire.:)

@self preservation: tone is difficult to convey over wires and fiberoptic cables causing text to appear on a screen in front of someone hundreds of miles away.:D I try to err on the side of overusing emoticons in an attempt to ensure nobody takes my posts in the wrong context.:) Doesn't always work though.:(

You may be correct, but the article didn't really specify, so it sounded like a "never ever ever do this" kind of thing. I put nothing past the internet anymore. I've seen dolts talking badly about people they've seen doing barrel inspections in gun stores. "LoL, noob's gonna shoot himself in the head one day." Christ, people are idiots...I hate the internet more every day. O_O

davidmcbeth

Banned
The majority of the safety concerns in the article are self-correcting. The operator would likely not have the same issue more than once.

Darwin's law will handle most of these issues.

Gallowmere

The majority of the safety concerns in the article are self-correcting. The operator would likely not have the same issue more than once.

Darwin's law will handle most of these issues.

The same could be said of much of the rot of society. Nature has many filters in place...humans just keep poking holes in them.

Gallowmere

This needs to be an illustrated shirt.:)

I don't think it would be possible to properly illustrate, without offending a whoooole lot of people...probably 85+% of those alive. Everyone seems to have that one relative, that they love dearly, that the gene pool would certainly be better without.