Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Chipotle follows suit and discourages open carry in their restaurants

  1. #1
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142

    Chipotle follows suit and discourages open carry in their restaurants

    I say "discourages" because Chipotle won't come out and call it a ban. They do ask that people not open carry in their stores because "the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."

    What makes this different from the Starbucks event and Jack-in-the-Box ban is that these guys weren't demonstrating in front of the store and weren't necessarily gathering there for any gun-related purpose. They were simply grabbing a bite to eat after an event. The men posted a picture of themselves on Facebook and it of course went viral. Moms Demand Attention caught wind of it and wrote a letter asking Chipotle to stop allowing this.

    Feel free to read the story. Sorry it's from Huffington post but the article sums up the situation pretty well.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5354569.html

    Now I just have to make the terribly hard decision of whether or not to stop eating there
    Last edited by bebop4one; 05-19-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    West Plains, ,
    Posts
    388
    Well, I haven't stopped going to Starbucks and this should be the same. If they ask you to leave, just leave. If you are really concerned, cover up. Thankfully, I have never eaten at a Chipotle, and with there only being one in Spokane, I probably never will. I just do my Tex-Mex at home when the urge strikes.

    bob

  3. #3
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    The irrational fear that asks gun owners not to carry is the irrational fear that asks gay couples not to kiss.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Schlepnier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Yelm, Washington USA
    Posts
    419
    the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."
    The idiocy of this argument is mind blowing, how about making your armed customers uncomfortable. what's next if that's your argument. banning jews? perhaps some ethnic minority? hats?
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by bebop4one View Post
    Now I just have to make the terribly hard decision of whether or not to stop eating there
    Meh, I won't stop eating there.

    Until there's a drive thru. If people are destroying McDonalds and Burger Kings because of wrong orders or out-of-stock, imagine what will happen at a Chipotle when they run out of Barbacoa or put brown rice instead of white rice in your burrito. (humor, but seriously).

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlepnier View Post
    The idiocy of this argument is mind blowing, how about making your armed customers uncomfortable. what's next if that's your argument. banning jews? perhaps some ethnic minority? hats?
    Oh yes, please. I freaking hate the wanna be gangsta's and beiber followers with their flat-billed-sticker-on-misplaced-on-head hats.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I'm sorry if we've offended you. We recognize that this is a sensitive issue and we respect that people have very different points of view. The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food. We hope that our customers agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

    I appreciate you expressing your sentiments. We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

    Sincerely,
    Kate


    Here is their reply to a letter I sent them ^^^

    Commies clearly.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm sorry if we've offended you. We recognize that this is a sensitive issue and we respect that people have very different points of view. The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food. We hope that our customers agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

    I appreciate you expressing your sentiments. We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

    Sincerely,
    Kate


    Here is their reply to a letter I sent them ^^^

    Commies clearly.
    Well maybe if we're all tired of businesses being involved in politics, we should stop having them make political decisions. Their policy was fine before MDA got all up in their business. And their reply to MDA isn't a ban, it's a superficial "acknowledgement" of public pressure. But they haven't banned guns.

  9. #9
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    These two asshats make me want to join MDA. There is a difference between having it sung on your back, and going in to have a meal. As opposed to making a grandstanding spectacle of yourself. Check out the link to see more pictures of shorty, and how cool he is. These guys got kicked out of a local OC group, because they are such idiots. I did 21 years in the Army, and hated when I had to carry around a rifle. I sure as hell wouldn't carry one around for fun.

    http://aattp.org/meet-the-dangerous-...heir-blessing/
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  10. #10
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    These two asshats make me want to join MDA. There is a difference between having it sung on your back, and going in to have a meal. As opposed to making a grandstanding spectacle of yourself. Check out the link to see more pictures of shorty, and how cool he is. These guys got kicked out of a local OC group, because they are such idiots. I did 21 years in the Army, and hated when I had to carry around a rifle. I sure as hell wouldn't carry one around for fun.

    http://aattp.org/meet-the-dangerous-...heir-blessing/
    First off you cannot OC a modern pistol in TEXAS!!! This happened in TEXAS where the only legal OC is long guns.

    Quite blaming the guys for the only legal OC they could do in their state.

    http://bearingarms.com/shes-lost-sha...tos-something/

    .@ChipotleTweets Law allows me to sing loudly while breast feeding. May I? Why allow open carry of guns? #MomsDemand #burritosnotbullets

    Shannon (@shannonrwatts) May 17, 2014
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    First off you cannot OC a modern pistol in TEXAS!!! This happened in TEXAS where the only legal OC is long guns.

    Quite blaming the guys for the only legal OC they could do in their state.

    http://bearingarms.com/shes-lost-sha...tos-something/
    That's not what he was saying, at all. The manner in which one OCs is imperative to the cause.

  12. #12
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    "But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate".

    So then why the eff did they make any statement at all???

    "we don't want to be involved" somehow means "please don't bring guns into Chipotle"

    After some thought I'll probably just CC in there so I don't have to be hassled while I shove their delicious burritos in my face. Although I am tempted to get a group of people in there to OC and see what they say.
    Last edited by bebop4one; 05-20-2014 at 04:53 PM.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  13. #13
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    That's not what he was saying, at all. The manner in which one OCs is imperative to the cause.
    Thanks mikey. I am not a FUD by any means, but these two are not doing us any favors to promote legally carried firearms in a positive way. I've lived in TX, I know you can't carry a pistol OC, but the way shorty is posing, even the pro 2A people I know are saying WTF! I had lunch at a restaurant yesterday, and did not pose with my gun for a picture. I just went in ordered, ate, and left. No issues from the restaurant.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    These two asshats make me want to join MDA. There is a difference between having it sung on your back, and going in to have a meal. As opposed to making a grandstanding spectacle of yourself. Check out the link to see more pictures of shorty, and how cool he is. These guys got kicked out of a local OC group, because they are such idiots. I did 21 years in the Army, and hated when I had to carry around a rifle. I sure as hell wouldn't carry one around for fun.

    http://aattp.org/meet-the-dangerous-...heir-blessing/
    Remember, some feel that YOU are grandstanding and being the asshat for even carrying a weapon. The asshatness that you have bestowed on these individuals has been bestowed upon you. Why side with a pressure group that wants to erode your rights?

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'm sorry if we've offended you. We recognize that this is a sensitive issue and we respect that people have very different points of view. The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food. We hope that our customers agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

    I appreciate you expressing your sentiments. We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

    Sincerely,
    Kate


    Here is their reply to a letter I sent them ^^^

    Commies clearly.
    Some of you fools don't even realize that Chipolte is using the same tactics that Starbucks has employed: asking. By "asking" they are making you to be the bad guy cause after all they didn't really ban the weapons they just "ask" that you don't carry in their stores but you did and do anyways. Perhaps out of some incessant need to hold an overprice cup of your favorite liquid crack with a fancy name given to you by a smug barista that thinks there is a viable career in what they do. Or its just perhaps a lack of self-esteem paradigm move to garner some warped sense of "street cred" with the office staff. Either way when are you guys gonna start voting with your dollars and stop making excuses about going through the drive through or "I'll just cover up"?

  16. #16
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    Remember, some feel that YOU are grandstanding and being the asshat for even carrying a weapon. The asshatness that you have bestowed on these individuals has been bestowed upon you. Why side with a pressure group that wants to erode your rights?
    Love, did you check the link for this guy? There is a difference to carrying, and showing off. I carry for my families safety, not to scare people, or make a statement. I know you can't OC a pistol in TX, but a long gun the way he is posed would make a lot of people uncomfortable.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Olympia
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Love, did you check the link for this guy? There is a difference to carrying, and showing off. I carry for my families safety, not to scare people, or make a statement. I know you can't OC a pistol in TX, but a long gun the way he is posed would make a lot of people uncomfortable.
    Your link is broken and the HuffPost showed nothing. The point here is the same claims made against you are making against these guys. Being "uncomfortable" is the new racist, the new bigot, the new ______. My concern is are these guys within the LAW. Remember, there are many around YOU that are "uncomfortable" that YOU even carry no matter the reasons you cited. Are you willing to police yourself when approached by a customer and they say YOU make them uncomfortable? Will you be willing to leave the establishment? My guess is no.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Geerolla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    118
    This is a no-win situation for businesses that couldn't care less what you believe in, they just want you to consume their products. They felt like they had to respond to MDA's pressure for fear of losing customers. They "ask" because they know an outright ban and posting signs would cost them customers as well. I'm sure if you go into a Chipotle now, just like a Starbucks, sans rifle there won't be a problem unless they get complaints. But honestly, they could give a **** about the issue... they just want to sell burritos. Not sure why anyone would expect more than that from them.


    Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bothell
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Geerolla View Post
    This is a no-win situation for businesses that couldn't care less what you believe in, they just want you to consume their products. They felt like they had to respond to MDA's pressure for fear of losing customers. They "ask" because they know an outright ban and posting signs would cost them customers as well. I'm sure if you go into a Chipotle now, just like a Starbucks, sans rifle there won't be a problem unless they get complaints. But honestly, they could give a **** about the issue... they just want to sell burritos. Not sure why anyone would expect more than that from them.


    Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0
    Because public safety and crap.

    What's really sad is MDA has 20k twitter followers, Everytown has 32k, and NRA has 225k. If everyone who followed NRA tweeted to Chipotle and said something just as riding-the-fencey, it'd be a turn around.

  20. #20
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Firstly, I've never eaten at chipotle and probably never will. I'm not into that kind of food.

    But you need to recognize this for what it is, MDA is looking for every picture of open carrier in a chain, and they're now running down those chains one by one. The chains in response are making vague policies to make the annoying side of the debate go away.

    This is good, because 1) these businesses are not ideologically opposed to carry

    It's bad because 2) every time a new chain announces a policy it gives MDA press and political capital.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  21. #21
    Regular Member bebop4one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Firstly, I've never eaten at chipotle and probably never will. I'm not into that kind of food.

    But you need to recognize this for what it is, MDA is looking for every picture of open carrier in a chain, and they're now running down those chains one by one. The chains in response are making vague policies to make the annoying side of the debate go away.

    This is good, because 1) these businesses are not ideologically opposed to carry

    It's bad because 2) every time a new chain announces a policy it gives MDA press and political capital.
    We should get OCDO to find pictures of MDA in chains and write open letters telling them that we are highly concerned about losng our lunch when we see them.
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
    - Clint Eastwood

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Thanks mikey. I am not a FUD by any means, but these two are not doing us any favors to promote legally carried firearms in a positive way. I've lived in TX, I know you can't carry a pistol OC, but the way shorty is posing, even the pro 2A people I know are saying WTF! I had lunch at a restaurant yesterday, and did not pose with my gun for a picture. I just went in ordered, ate, and left. No issues from the restaurant.
    Sounds like your friends are communist sleeper agents ...
    Kidding ..

    But they are not pro-RKBA ... they just said so

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •