• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chipotle follows suit and discourages open carry in their restaurants

bebop4one

I say "discourages" because Chipotle won't come out and call it a ban. They do ask that people not open carry in their stores because "the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."

What makes this different from the Starbucks event and Jack-in-the-Box ban is that these guys weren't demonstrating in front of the store and weren't necessarily gathering there for any gun-related purpose. They were simply grabbing a bite to eat after an event. The men posted a picture of themselves on Facebook and it of course went viral. Moms Demand Attention caught wind of it and wrote a letter asking Chipotle to stop allowing this.

Feel free to read the story. Sorry it's from Huffington post but the article sums up the situation pretty well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/19/chipotle-guns_n_5354569.html

Now I just have to make the terribly hard decision of whether or not to stop eating there :cry:

Last edited:

BobR

Well, I haven't stopped going to Starbucks and this should be the same. If they ask you to leave, just leave. If you are really concerned, cover up. Thankfully, I have never eaten at a Chipotle, and with there only being one in Spokane, I probably never will. I just do my Tex-Mex at home when the urge strikes.

bob

Schlepnier

the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."
The idiocy of this argument is mind blowing, how about making your armed customers uncomfortable. what's next if that's your argument. banning jews? perhaps some ethnic minority? hats?

mikeyb

Now I just have to make the terribly hard decision of whether or not to stop eating there :cry:

Meh, I won't stop eating there.

Until there's a drive thru. If people are destroying McDonalds and Burger Kings because of wrong orders or out-of-stock, imagine what will happen at a Chipotle when they run out of Barbacoa or put brown rice instead of white rice in your burrito. (humor, but seriously).

mikeyb

The idiocy of this argument is mind blowing, how about making your armed customers uncomfortable. what's next if that's your argument. banning jews? perhaps some ethnic minority? hats?

Oh yes, please. I freaking hate the wanna be gangsta's and beiber followers with their flat-billed-sticker-on-misplaced-on-head hats.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm sorry if we've offended you. We recognize that this is a sensitive issue and we respect that people have very different points of view. The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food. We hope that our customers agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

I appreciate you expressing your sentiments. We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

Sincerely,
Kate

Here is their reply to a letter I sent them ^^^

Commies clearly.

mikeyb

I'm sorry if we've offended you. We recognize that this is a sensitive issue and we respect that people have very different points of view. The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food. We hope that our customers agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

I appreciate you expressing your sentiments. We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

Sincerely,
Kate

Commies clearly.

Well maybe if we're all tired of businesses being involved in politics, we should stop having them make political decisions. Their policy was fine before MDA got all up in their business. And their reply to MDA isn't a ban, it's a superficial "acknowledgement" of public pressure. But they haven't banned guns.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
These two asshats make me want to join MDA. There is a difference between having it sung on your back, and going in to have a meal. As opposed to making a grandstanding spectacle of yourself. Check out the link to see more pictures of shorty, and how cool he is. These guys got kicked out of a local OC group, because they are such idiots. I did 21 years in the Army, and hated when I had to carry around a rifle. I sure as hell wouldn't carry one around for fun.

http://aattp.org/meet-the-dangerous-...heir-blessing/

Freedom1Man

These two asshats make me want to join MDA. There is a difference between having it sung on your back, and going in to have a meal. As opposed to making a grandstanding spectacle of yourself. Check out the link to see more pictures of shorty, and how cool he is. These guys got kicked out of a local OC group, because they are such idiots. I did 21 years in the Army, and hated when I had to carry around a rifle. I sure as hell wouldn't carry one around for fun.

First off you cannot OC a modern pistol in TEXAS!!! This happened in TEXAS where the only legal OC is long guns.

Quite blaming the guys for the only legal OC they could do in their state.

http://bearingarms.com/shes-lost-sh...ed-stop-gun-owners-eating-burritos-something/

.@ChipotleTweets Law allows me to sing loudly while breast feeding. May I? Why allow open carry of guns? #MomsDemand #burritosnotbullets

— Shannon (@shannonrwatts) May 17, 2014

bebop4one

"But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate".

So then why the eff did they make any statement at all???

"we don't want to be involved" somehow means "please don't bring guns into Chipotle"

After some thought I'll probably just CC in there so I don't have to be hassled while I shove their delicious burritos in my face. Although I am tempted to get a group of people in there to OC and see what they say.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
That's not what he was saying, at all. The manner in which one OCs is imperative to the cause.

Thanks mikey. I am not a FUD by any means, but these two are not doing us any favors to promote legally carried firearms in a positive way. I've lived in TX, I know you can't carry a pistol OC, but the way shorty is posing, even the pro 2A people I know are saying WTF! I had lunch at a restaurant yesterday, and did not pose with my gun for a picture. I just went in ordered, ate, and left. No issues from the restaurant.

Lovenox

Remember, some feel that YOU are grandstanding and being the asshat for even carrying a weapon. The asshatness that you have bestowed on these individuals has been bestowed upon you. Why side with a pressure group that wants to erode your rights?

Lovenox

Sincerely,
Kate

Commies clearly.

Some of you fools don't even realize that Chipolte is using the same tactics that Starbucks has employed: asking. By "asking" they are making you to be the bad guy cause after all they didn't really ban the weapons they just "ask" that you don't carry in their stores but you did and do anyways. Perhaps out of some incessant need to hold an overprice cup of your favorite liquid crack with a fancy name given to you by a smug barista that thinks there is a viable career in what they do. Or its just perhaps a lack of self-esteem paradigm move to garner some warped sense of "street cred" with the office staff. Either way when are you guys gonna start voting with your dollars and stop making excuses about going through the drive through or "I'll just cover up"?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Remember, some feel that YOU are grandstanding and being the asshat for even carrying a weapon. The asshatness that you have bestowed on these individuals has been bestowed upon you. Why side with a pressure group that wants to erode your rights?

Love, did you check the link for this guy? There is a difference to carrying, and showing off. I carry for my families safety, not to scare people, or make a statement. I know you can't OC a pistol in TX, but a long gun the way he is posed would make a lot of people uncomfortable.

Lovenox

Love, did you check the link for this guy? There is a difference to carrying, and showing off. I carry for my families safety, not to scare people, or make a statement. I know you can't OC a pistol in TX, but a long gun the way he is posed would make a lot of people uncomfortable.

Your link is broken and the HuffPost showed nothing. The point here is the same claims made against you are making against these guys. Being "uncomfortable" is the new racist, the new bigot, the new ______. My concern is are these guys within the LAW. Remember, there are many around YOU that are "uncomfortable" that YOU even carry no matter the reasons you cited. Are you willing to police yourself when approached by a customer and they say YOU make them uncomfortable? Will you be willing to leave the establishment? My guess is no.

Geerolla

This is a no-win situation for businesses that couldn't care less what you believe in, they just want you to consume their products. They felt like they had to respond to MDA's pressure for fear of losing customers. They "ask" because they know an outright ban and posting signs would cost them customers as well. I'm sure if you go into a Chipotle now, just like a Starbucks, sans rifle there won't be a problem unless they get complaints. But honestly, they could give a **** about the issue... they just want to sell burritos. Not sure why anyone would expect more than that from them.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

mikeyb

This is a no-win situation for businesses that couldn't care less what you believe in, they just want you to consume their products. They felt like they had to respond to MDA's pressure for fear of losing customers. They "ask" because they know an outright ban and posting signs would cost them customers as well. I'm sure if you go into a Chipotle now, just like a Starbucks, sans rifle there won't be a problem unless they get complaints. But honestly, they could give a **** about the issue... they just want to sell burritos. Not sure why anyone would expect more than that from them.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Because public safety and crap.

What's really sad is MDA has 20k twitter followers, Everytown has 32k, and NRA has 225k. If everyone who followed NRA tweeted to Chipotle and said something just as riding-the-fencey, it'd be a turn around.

EMNofSeattle

Firstly, I've never eaten at chipotle and probably never will. I'm not into that kind of food.

But you need to recognize this for what it is, MDA is looking for every picture of open carrier in a chain, and they're now running down those chains one by one. The chains in response are making vague policies to make the annoying side of the debate go away.

This is good, because 1) these businesses are not ideologically opposed to carry

It's bad because 2) every time a new chain announces a policy it gives MDA press and political capital.