• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chipotle: Don't Bring Your Guns into Our Stores

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
To ensure we receive your response, please do not modify the subject line.

Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about this very sensitive issue. We recognize that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens who carry their guns in accordance with local laws. We hope that those same citizens will honor our request to refrain from bringing their firearms into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel. I will definitely make a note of your sentiments regarding our request. In the meantime, I hope that you have a peaceful rest of the week and that we may someday have the opportunity to serve you again.

Sincerely,
Andrea

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill

========
Restaurant Name: Lynnwood
Date & Time of Visit: //Z

Original Comment:
As a frequent customer (several visits per month) of my local Chipolte in Lynnwood WA, I have to tell you I will honor your recent well publicized request to not carry my firearm into your establishment.

However since I value my safety and that of my family that means I will no longer be patronizing your establishment and will encourage others to avoid it also.

Gallowmere

Well, since we're posting replies:

Alfred,

I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed in our decision to request that customers not bring guns into our restaurants. I'll be sure to take note of your thoughts to keep in mind should we review this request of our customers in the future.

Sincerely,
Cara

Customer Service Manager
Chipotle Mexican Grill

Why I no get as many words as everyone else? :(

wimwag

I bet all the illegal immigrants making the burritos are shaking in their boots. They're probably afraid we will start checking ID.

wimwag

Hmmm. I guess take your money elsewhere. You have the freedom of choice regarding where you eat and spend your money just as much as they have the freedom of choice in deciding if people can force them into the political arena.

They are there to make money, not a political statement. They appear to prefer to err on the side of caution. I think they could have worded it better, but I see their reasoning.

The Cantina Bell burrito at Taco Bell is great. 😃

Wc

Updated from BBC News

...... you said, they're saying...

"Moms are grateful to Chipotle for taking quick action," Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action, said on Tuesday.

"Businesses have a duty to protect their employees and patrons - especially in states where no background checks or training are required to buy semi-automatic rifles and carry them openly in public."

The gun control group, backed by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, said it received 10,000 signatures in a few hours.

Open Carry Texas founder CJ Grisham told the Forbes website his group went to a Chipotle at the weekend not to demonstrate but for a meal following an event.

"We always let the manager know we're coming," he said. "We're peaceful, we're looking for a place to eat, but we have guns. If we're not welcome, we're not going to spend money there."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27492193

From CNN News, "We Won"?

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2014/05/20/chipotle-gun-open-carry/?iref=allsearch

Last edited:

Logan 5

A business disagrees with you, and you guys go on a rampage throwing out insults at them. That is so stupid. It's private property. Live with it. Chipolte is a business to make money, not a political forum to preach your ideas OR MDA ideas. They just want to reduce liability and keep making money. I think that OC with a handgun should be allowed, but if you are so skeered of society that you MUST have an AK or AR with you, at a fast food joint like Chipolte, then maybe you need to talk to a shrink. A .357 is one thing. An AK47 is way different.

But, considering what I said sometime back about my business and firearms not allowed here, you know already what I say. And so does Chipolte-

me said:

Wow, thanks for the support!

Sincerely,
Sarah

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill

Contact Name: .

Phone Number: 8015381000

Restaurant Name: {!Case.RestaurantName__c}
Date & Time of Visit: //Z

Original Comment:
I don't know the whole story about the gun rights folks and you guys, but if you say no guns, then no guns it is. I love guns. But if I come to your place for lunch, I'm coming there to eat, not to show off my guns.

Your restaurants are your property. Your place, your rules. Some people need to learn to keep their politics to themselves and not try to force a respectable business like yours into making a political statement.

All in all, I support your decision.
Take care & God bless,

Bernymac

Are there any chain restaurants or other establishment that folded because of their (perceived or not) anti-gun stance? Is Starbuck's still making money? Staples? Bank of America, etc?

WalkingWolf

Are there any chain restaurants or other establishment that folded because of their (perceived or not) anti-gun stance? Is Starbuck's still making money? Staples? Bank of America, etc?

Nope, but they do bring more business for those that allow carry. Unless a business is operating on a narrow market, the more money they make the better. Alienating any one group lowers their profit by numbers, nothing any successful business wants to explain to the shareholders.

Ebay was a classic example, they started offensive policies, and almost immediately their stocks starting falling like rock. Did it put them out of business, NOPE, but it did pave the way for Amazon to capture a LARGE share of the market, and Etsy to be born. Amazon stock still outpaces Ebay stock.

Must remember in a business it is just not stay afloat the matters. When there are stockholders the leaders of each corporation MUST perform, and perform at least with the current trends in the market.

Take the US car manufacturers, they ignored the complaints of customers. What happened they opened the door wider to the foriegn market, a door that can never be closed, or limited now. Did it put them out of business? NOPE the gov stepped in and printed them some monopoly money to save them. All from not listening to the people who not only gave them business but bought their stock.

Keep in mind none of these business have banned firearms, all they did was a public propaganda dance on the fence post. They still want your business, armed or not, or they would post. The employee being scared to ask the armed customer to leave is malarkey. They already know that LAC will honor signage. And that if they don't the employees can call LE, and LE will do the confronting.

How many threads, how much emotion, how much back stabbing over a non issue? Get a grip, before MDA sends you a thank you card with flowers and chocolates. This is not directing at anyone in particular, but the community at large.

Last edited:

The Trickster

I sent Chipotle an email informing them that since I'm not welcome while armed (and I'm always armed), I will be taking my business to their competitors. The banality of their humdrum response was expected.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
A business disagrees with you, and you guys go on a rampage throwing out insults at them. That is so stupid. It's private property. Live with it. -

Whaaaat? A big bad corporation is getting insults thrown at them? Oh dear. Screw them!

Maybe I'll buy one stock and go over to the stockholder's meeting and raise cane. Will that satisfy people crying about people complaining to them. I'll be an owner then.

Pleeeeeese.

mikeyb

A business disagrees with you, and you guys go on a rampage throwing out insults at them. That is so stupid. It's private property. Live with it. Chipolte is a business to make money, not a political forum to preach your ideas OR MDA ideas. They just want to reduce liability and keep making money. I think that OC with a handgun should be allowed, but if you are so skeered of society that you MUST have an AK or AR with you, at a fast food joint like Chipolte, then maybe you need to talk to a shrink. A .357 is one thing. An AK47 is way different.

Again... as so oft repeated... in Texas, the only legal OC method is long gun. It has little to do with "feeling" safe. Texans want to OC pistols, but are unable to by law. To rephrase: While Texans would like to OC pistols, they are unable to because archaic Texas law prohibits OC of handguns, and only allows the OC of long guns.

It is a statement. Like Rosa Parks. Westboro Baptist. Susan B. Anthony. Just because people don't like the statement doesn't mean it's wrong. (edit: Westboro is re: free speech, not an endorsement.)

The OC supporters can't come out and say "If you don't like long guns, allow the law to be changed and legalize OC of handguns," because 1) they're asking permission, which isn't required of a right; 2) Some locales a long rifle is useful; and 3) Anti-gunners want all the guns, therefore showing you'll trade one for the other will give them power to ban long guns.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

nope, but they do bring more business for those that allow carry. Unless a business is operating on a narrow market, the more money they make the better. Alienating any one group lowers their profit by numbers, nothing any successful business wants to explain to the shareholders.

Ebay was a classic example, they started offensive policies, and almost immediately their stocks starting falling like rock. Did it put them out of business, nope, but it did pave the way for amazon to capture a large share of the market, and etsy to be born. Amazon stock still outpaces ebay stock.

Must remember in a business it is just not stay afloat the matters. When there are stockholders the leaders of each corporation must perform, and perform at least with the current trends in the market.

Take the us car manufacturers, they ignored the complaints of customers. What happened they opened the door wider to the foriegn market, a door that can never be closed, or limited now. Did it put them out of business? Nope the gov stepped in and printed them some monopoly money to save them. All from not listening to the people who not only gave them business but bought their stock.

Keep in mind none of these business have banned firearms, all they did was a public propaganda dance on the fence post. They still want your business, armed or not, or they would post. The employee being scared to ask the armed customer to leave is malarkey. They already know that lac will honor signage. And that if they don't the employees can call le, and le will do the confronting.

How many threads, how much emotion, how much back stabbing over a non issue? Get a grip, before mda sends you a thank you card with flowers and chocolates. This is not directing at anyone in particular, but the community at large.

qft.

Logan 5

Again... as so oft repeated... in Texas, the only legal OC method is long gun. It has little to do with "feeling" safe. Texans want to OC pistols, but are unable to by law. To rephrase: While Texans would like to OC pistols, they are unable to because archaic Texas law prohibits OC of handguns, and only allows the OC of long guns.

It is a statement. Like Rosa Parks. Westboro Baptist. Susan B. Anthony. Just because people don't like the statement doesn't mean it's wrong. (edit: Westboro is re: free speech, not an endorsement.)

The OC supporters can't come out and say "If you don't like long guns, allow the law to be changed and legalize OC of handguns," because 1) they're asking permission, which isn't required of a right; 2) Some locales a long rifle is useful; and 3) Anti-gunners want all the guns, therefore showing you'll trade one for the other will give them power to ban long guns.

And somehow when you say this I remember the ever-so-famous quote..."don't mess with Texas!".
Well, someone has messed with Texas, and what did Texans do...?

(insert crickets chirping) :rolleyes:

stealthyeliminator

And somehow when you say this I remember the ever-so-famous quote..."don't mess with Texas!".
Well, someone has messed with Texas, and what did Texans do...?

(insert crickets chirping) :rolleyes:

What???

You've resorted to childish taunting? Really?

Also, once again, "Don't mess with Texas" is the slogan of an anti-litter campaign put on by/with TxDOT. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with open carry. http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/