• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chipotle: Don't Bring Your Guns into Our Stores

rottman43055

my take on this

I wasn't going to add my .02, but I've been missing good discussions.

To me personally OCing a long gun is more place specific & practicality & safety should be the determining factor.

A handgun holstered does not have to be handled to go in and eat. Getting up & down at a restaurant would require handling the long gun, greater chance for muzzle sweep etc. so IMO they should be kept out of restaurant type environments regardless of the law. To me that seems common since.

Carrying it down the street, or transporting it on your bicycle etc is all cool, but even as pro 2A as I am, if the guy beside me keep handling his rifle & it aims my direction, I'm not going to be happy.

BTW, I was recently at a pawnshop and a customer was handed an AR to look at it & he was sweeping everyone with his finger on the trigger & unlike my local gun store, the pawnshop employee nor the customer did an inspection to make sure it was clear.

WalkingWolf

There is that "but" again. Yea I support it, BUT...

No offense "but" it is getting more common everyday, surprised there is not a But political party.

I can name several instances of HANGUNS IN HOLSTERS being fired and injuring people. Can you say the same for the members of OCT.

There are also people who get upset seeing a SA semi auto cocked and locked, should we condemn that based solely on fears with no evidence to back it up?

Last edited:

Logan 5

What???

You've resorted to childish taunting? Really?

Also, once again, "Don't mess with Texas" is the slogan of an anti-litter campaign put on by/with TxDOT. Doesn't have a whole lot to do with open carry. http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/

Just because you claim that is the origin of that saying does not mean that is where I know it from. Instead time and time again, Texans, making claim to how bad-ass they are, use it. You name the scenario and odds are if I've seen that scenario I have seen and heard Texans saying just that. Childish taunting? What, are you starting to read the many times you have done that with me?

Seriously- when they state changed the laws on OC, where were you? What about your neighbors? Why didn't you guys do something about it? If it happened before you came into the picture, why didn't the folks before you do anything about it? And what have your efforts been to change this?

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Well, Texas was pretty "bad-ass" when they elected one of their sorriest Governors ever -- arrogant, snooty & elitist Democrat Ann Richards -- who even tried to stop ANY kind of carry happening as she stonewalled the struggling CC movement back in the day. And subsequent REPUBLICAN Governors elected have been USELESS to "The Cause."

But yes, Texas was mostly out on a hot Summer night drinking Texas Tea and listening to crickets. For 141 years (give or take a few)...and still counting.

BTW: I tried to attach a small MP3 audio file here, i.e., tried to do the "insert crickets chirping here" as you wrote above -- for your listening pleasure -- but it says "invalid file" when I try to do it (I guess only image files allowed). So no musical entertainment from tiny critters here -- sorry!

P.S. As already mentioned, the "Don't Mess with Texas" campaign was for discouraging LITTERING on their (almost said OUR, as I lived there 49 years, in El Paso and Galveston) highways...so they were pretty "bad-ass" on people throwing trash out their car windows (couldn't do much about illegals dumping used diapers in parking lots and beaches though). Yeah...

But on things they SHOULD be "bad-ass" on -- like stopping/deporting all the countless illegals in TX, and being tough on crime/criminals -- not so much. And yes, it IS an embarrassment when all the states AROUND TX have some form of OC, yet TX still has NONE. Like other states, it has been playing catch-up ever since Florida blazed the CC permit trail way back when. But TX hasn't caught-up yet.

The "Great State of Texas" indeed. Sad...

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

Just because you claim that is the origin of that saying does not mean that is where I know it from. Instead time and time again, Texans, making claim to how bad-ass they are, use it. You name the scenario and odds are if I've seen that scenario I have seen and heard Texans saying just that. Childish taunting? What, are you starting to read the many times you have done that with me?

Seriously- when they state changed the laws on OC, where were you? What about your neighbors? Why didn't you guys do something about it? If it happened before you came into the picture, why didn't the folks before you do anything about it? And what have your efforts been to change this?

Are you kidding me? You made no attempt to answer these questions for yourself, did you? Instead you just throw out these ignorant questions to insinuate that somehow the Texas prohibition is partly my fault, as I didn't stop it. That's mature and reasonable. [/sarcasm] The "exception" to the right to keep and bear arms was inserted into the Texas Constitution when it was reconstructed immediately following the civil war, and that exception was soon after used to create the prohibition of handgun possession that has been law ever since. Why was the prohibition created? Probably racism.

Edit: Just for clarification, since apparently you need to be spoon-fed this information, NO, I was not alive during that time period.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Why was the prohibition created? Probably racism." -- Logan5

Yes...but also don't forget that the Carpetbaggers & Scalawags -- along with the Union Army there in TX during "Reconstruction" of course -- sure didn't want any white ex-Confederate soldiers "totin' iron" around Texas, either! ;-)

The assassination of Lincoln was a BIG mistake, as in reality, he was the best "friend" in Washington the South had, as he would have gone MUCH EASIER on them after the hostilities ceased. But with Lincoln's passing (and being out of the way), the hard-core Northern radicals could REALLY "get tough" on the South (punish it)...and they did.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I wasn't going to add my .02, but I've been missing good discussions.

To me personally OCing a long gun is more place specific & practicality & safety should be the determining factor.

A handgun holstered does not have to be handled to go in and eat. Getting up & down at a restaurant would require handling the long gun, greater chance for muzzle sweep etc. so IMO they should be kept out of restaurant type environments regardless of the law. To me that seems common since.

Carrying it down the street, or transporting it on your bicycle etc is all cool, but even as pro 2A as I am, if the guy beside me keep handling his rifle & it aims my direction, I'm not going to be happy.

BTW, I was recently at a pawnshop and a customer was handed an AR to look at it & he was sweeping everyone with his finger on the trigger & unlike my local gun store, the pawnshop employee nor the customer did an inspection to make sure it was clear.

Well said, rottman.

That being said, if the residents of Texas were allowed to OC handguns, I'm reasonably certain the vast majority of those carrying long guns would be carrying their handguns, instead. The same thing happened when California banned OC of handguns. People switched to OCing long guns, which CA Demwits banned, as well.