• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liberty, MO/Clay County ordinances or regulations?

jpatton72

I've been a Liberty resident for 3 years, and do not have a CCW permit (I intend to get one when finances allow, but for the purposes of this inquiry let's assume I won't have one.) I've been unable to find any local ordinances concerning open carry. I have three questions:

1) Is anyone aware of whether there are any local restrictions on OC in the Liberty area, whether for handguns or long guns?

2) Are there local ordinances concerning open carrying fixed-blade knives?

3) Same questions for Platte county/Zona Rosa area?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

kcgunfan

I can't speak to bladed tools, but OC is legal in both areas. Firearms are prohibited by Zona's code of conduct. I would discourage long gun OC.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jpatton72

Thank you much! I'm under the assumption that you'd discourage that just because it's inviting a stop by LEOs, not because it's illegal?

kcgunfan

If it were illegal, I would have said that. More and more often, we are seeing LGOC produce undesirable results. Plus, we are trying to get some legislation passed, and drawing undesirable attention will not help.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OC for ME

If "open carry" is not specifically mentioned as unlawful then OC is lawful. Open carry is the terminology used in RSMo 21.750.3 and those city codes that ban OC, or permit OC on a CCW endorsement.

This does not mean that some three-toothed cop will know this fact, or "word trick", or really wishes it were otherwise. But, you would be completely legal.

You may beat the rap, but may not beat the ride.

In fact, outside of STL and KC-ish (maybe) having a ID on you while OC is not required. You only need a endorsement (CCW) while you are CCing. I would recommend that you go down to "city hall" and have the clerk show you the latest and greatest city codes on weapons offenses. Get a copy with a time/date stamp. Carry it with you. Get on the city council/board of alderman e-mail notification list. Pay attention to your little town's political comings and goings.

Believe it or not, top cops don't like getting sued due to one of their three-toothed cops not reading yesterdays "memo."

I have yet to me a three-toothed cop in my travels.

aadvark

To ALL Whom are Concerned:

The Missouri Legislature Passed Senate Bill 656 This Year and Sent it to Governor Jay Nixon!

Senate Bill 656 Revises Missouri Revised Statute 21.750 to Include a New Subdivision (2) to Paragraph 3. that Affords Protections to a Person who chooses to Open Carry if both of The Following are True in Respect to that Person: 1. The Person must have a Valid Permit or Endorsement, AND 2. You must Give that Permit to a Law Enforcement Officer upon His or Her Request.

As a Result, if Signed into Law, Local Open Carry Bans will be Partially Invalidated by This Legislative Enactment for Those Persons who in Fact have such Permit or Concealed Carry Endorsement.

Furthermore, The Enactment Offers a Protection to a Person who goes Armed with a Firearm by Stating that:

In The Absence of any Reasonable and Articulable Suspicion of Criminal Activity, a Person shall not be Disarmed or Physically Restrained by a Law Enforcement Officer for Merely Going Armed with a Concealed or Unconcealed Firearm.

Hopefully, Governor Jay Nixon will Sign This Bill into Law soon!

aadvark

Last edited: