• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is a Trust a Person? BATFE says NO- Yipeeeeee!!!!!

Seigi

As I understand it, you send in paperwork and have to wait for the ATF to approve it. I would anticipate them quickly denying a transfer of a new machine gun, merits of the application notwithstanding. So "my trust is not a person" is something that would need to be raised in a courtroom to get an order/judgment compelling the ATF to approve it?

Thundar

Yes, the BATFE has really painted themselves into a corner.

If we were really smart, somebody would take BATFE to court for their new absurd rules for Trusts, lose at the district court level then appeal and lose at the circuit court level getting a court of record opinion that: " for the purposes of transferring NFA firearms, trusts are not people."

THEN we try to transfer new guns to a trust, and when the transfer is denied, we appeal and beat the BATFE over the head with the court of record opinion.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Trust is not a person, but the people within the trust that will use the weapon are w-e-l-l people. Considering Scalia's remarks in Heller I do not see this getting traction. In fact it may very well make it worse, congress may just outlaw MG to all private persons, and Scalia's remarks will back them up. Way to go guys.:banana:

This is similar to saying a house is not a person, so a post 86 MG could be included with a house sale. It is just downright stupid.:banghead: