Thread: How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment

West Allis, WI

How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment

I guess Michael Waldman never read any of the founding father's material, particularly George Mason (in my sig).
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Thru Death's Door in Wisconsin
    Thanks. Got it

Michael Waldman is president of the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law. This article has been adapted from his book The Second Amendment: A Biography, published this week by Simon & Schuster. 2014.
    Actually it was released today, 20 May 2014. a couple of hours ago.

I've read about 10% (KINDLE indication absent 'pages). Take a stiff drink (BTDT) and a large grain of salt. This guy writes of Michael Bellesiles.

Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture is a discredited 2000 book by Michael A. Bellesiles on American gun culture. The book is an expansion of a 1996 Journal of American History article by Bellesiles, and argues that guns were uncommon during peacetime in early United States, and that a culture of gun ownership arose only much later. It initially won the prestigious Bancroft Prize, but later became the first book in that prize's history to have its award rescinded. The revocation occurred after Columbia University's Board of Trustees decided that Bellesiles had "violated basic norms of scholarship and the high standards expected of Bancroft Prize winners."
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-20-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    If TRUMP 2016 loses then I will shrug off my WHITE MAN'S BURDEN and leave the world to the Dindus and Done Nuffins. Read and understand Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged as a prescription for the future. TRUMP 2016

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Whatcom County
    Interesting seems like he doesn't know how to apply the word never. Dred Scott decision in denying blacks citizenry acknowledged that it would mean they would have the right to carry firearms.

He does get it that common law right to own arms exists, then ignores it by saying legislation can make that right somehow non existent.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)